Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, whats the deal with R2? Are they going to make this or what?? 3PO needs his buddy! I hope if it does come out, that they fix him though. The pics I've seen of the proto look really bad to me.

Limbo! No new news anywhere. Such a let down at Comicon to not see it. Would have looked cool in the Hoth display with radar sensor up!

Last edited:
So, whats the deal with R2? Are they going to make this or what?? 3PO needs his buddy! I hope if it does come out, that they fix him though. The pics I've seen of the proto look really bad to me.

The first pics of 3PO weren't great either, though this was down to the surface finish rather than the scale issue we're seeing with R2.

If this project doesn't go ahead, it'll likely be because 3PO didn't sell as well as they needed it to. My guess is sales have been ok - not bad, but not great.

These two belong together.
I wouldn't have one without the other.

Having said that, however, I think they released 3PO first because there's probably more R2 fans. By releasing 3PO first, they can test the market, get feedback, and gauge what they're going to do with R2.

More R2 fans is precisely why they should have done R2 first. Reap as much profit first, then do the more questionable figure. Starting the other way around is iffy, because a lot of people won't bit or will sit on the fence.

I'm still looking, but I don't plan to spend more than $260 shipped.

These two belong together.
I wouldn't have one without the other.

Having said that, however, I think they released 3PO first because there's probably more R2 fans. By releasing 3PO first, they can test the market, get feedback, and gauge what they're going to do with R2.

Oh noooos! That reasoning was probably why we never got a HT Neytiri.

More R2 fans is precisely why they should have done R2 first. Reap as much profit first, then do the more questionable figure. Starting the other way around is iffy, because a lot of people won't bit or will sit on the fence.

I'm still looking, but I don't plan to spend more than $260 shipped.
I'd question whether one has more fans than the other.

Maybe around here it's more definitive - but more broadly, surely the balance would be more even.

I'm a huge fan of both obviously.. :lol

More R2 fans is precisely why they should have done R2 first. Reap as much profit first, then do the more questionable figure.

C-3PO is more questionable?:lol More R2 fans? Was there a poll?

The R2 looks terrible, scale is wrong compared to the Threepio. Lucky they didn't release R2, I wouldn't have bought it the way it currently is.

^^ I was thinking the same thing. Very early prototype. I hope they pay as much attention to detail when they make R2 as they did making 3PO. This release was a gift from the 1/6 Gods and I'm hoping that lightening can strike twice here.

Apart from scale, the early 3PO was probably even worse than the R2 placeholder they showed. The final product thankfully looks great, and there's really no reason to think they'd release an R2 that didn't live up to the same level of quality.

As far as R2 and 3PO popularity, it's always been pretty obvious that R2 is more popular over the past 30+ years. Do I have polls to back that up? No. But one only needs to look at the relative amount of product released bearing each likeness to tell where the marketroids lean. If you've collected product for a long time you may have noticed slower (peg-warmer) sell-through of 3PO figures. If you spend any time around kids you may find they associate much more with the shorter and more child-like R2 - this was the case 30 years ago with people I knew and is the case today with kids I know.

Given also R2's more complex accessory options and working hidden compartments, I think it would have made a great first impression.

I always saw R2 as more popular. I never really thought it was up for argument. I thought everyone felt the same way. :lol
Of course I have to hard evidence to bring to the table. For me personally, I think I could have an R2 on his own but I'm finding it hard to just have a Threepio on his own. He needs his counterpart.

I think I'd rather have both more than anything though....

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

I just looked back through the thread and saw that they didn't put Threepio up for pre-order til October 1 2012. And he started shipping from Japan in late Feb/early March of this year. That's a pretty close gap!

So I guess if they stick to the same schedule for R2, we won't see anything til October.

So, anyone want to sell me an extra right hand? I want to mod the right hand so it can point, like in this picture:

2lqd.jpg

"That R2 Unit over there is a real bargain."

Back