Tamashii Movie Realization Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been admiring these figures for a while now and while I was on Amazon buying stuff for the house I saw a "standard" Stormtrooper was available for same day, so I bit. I can't wait to get this.

IMG_0183.jpg
New concept arts shown and better pictures of some already announced figures at Tamashii Nations are up on Toyark!

https://news.toyark.com/2017/04/29/tamashii-nations-world-tour-event-pics-251317

Boba prototype is literally repaint. You can see the original tirquoise color on helmet (just below the targeting scope). At least Bandai did more repaint then on SDCC sandtrooper :)

View attachment 338919

Boba prototype is literally repaint. You can see the original tirquoise color on helmet (just below the targeting scope). At least Bandai did more repaint then on SDCC sandtrooper :)

Yeah the SDCC Exclusives in this line are very lazy, though the Sandtrooper Corporal was okay for adding to the army, but at least I'm glad those aren't super high-demand characters or figures unlike some other lines, such as SH Figuarts Dragon Ball Z where their SDCC exclusives are sometimes very highly sought after (Namek Goku, Kaioken Goku...) otherwise unavailable in the line. Here they are just repaints, and that's fine with me.

IMG_4209.jpg

Wow, pictures do not do these things justice. Very striking and looks great in display. I might have to get a few more of these...

Nice picture The Mike! This line of figures is great, it's my favorite line at the moment. I'm working on several customs and will post pictures when I'm finished!

If you are intending to catch up on some previously released figures, make sure to get official ones and not the bootlegs (unless you're looking to get cheaper knockoffs) because the quality isn't quite at the same level for most figures, and some are downright bad.

I picked up the royal guard and Barnes and Noble this week using a coupon. I think the coolness factor of these get multiplied the more of them you have. The guard was my fourth. I've got the 1st version Vader, sand trooper, and drummer. I really want the regular stormtrooper, but the one at my B&N has been opened, so I don't really want to take a chance on it. I'm sad I missed out on Boba, but the SDCC white version looks pretty neat.

I started this line because I love Star Wars and I love samurai, so that seemed like a match made in heaven. A big reason why I find this line interesting is also because I realize Lucas was inspired in part by old samurai movies when he went about imagining the galaxy of Star Wars.

For that reason also, I never really understood the appeal of the Marvel line in this Movie Realization brand because Marvel super heroes are american culture icons, though they've become known worldwide for the most part.

And yet when Spiderman came out, I really liked the design and especially his weapon of choice, the grappling hook / spider web.

I grabbed a cheap knockoff and I knew someday I'd like to use this figure as the basis for a custom Star Wars figure but I was stumped as to whom I'd use Spiderman for.

Then it hit me. Spiderman is a "bug-themed" (I know, spiders aren't bugs!) character, and uses his web to capture villains.

Having been a fan of the Empire Strikes Back bounty hunters since childhood, I immediately drew a comparison to Zuckuss, a bug-like alien with a snare gun that shoots a spray-net to capture his bounties.

For reference, this is Zuckuss :

4UbAqBx.jpg

And this is the Spiderman Movie Realization figure :

B9nU4rD.jpg

Now my goal isn't really to make a perfect copy of Zuckuss since I don't want actual alien creatures in my display, I want them to be samurai warriors who would have armored heavily inspired on the characters they are supposed to represent.

I got to work on it, with hardening polymer clay, paint, cloth and other tidbits, and I'd like to show you the result :

Here is my version of Zuckuss standing near his "colleague" Boba Fett. The "robe" has metal wire inside it to pose it as you see fit.
jzQD9bi.jpg

Close-up on the face. I used hardening polymer clay for the eyes, respirator, and the filtering device.
ap4UCst.jpg

Here he joined the rest of the collection so far, joining his other custom friends, Death Trooper and Emperor's Shadow Guard.
ZalPmET.jpg

Another angle.
tTmtaLC.jpg

Just for fun, a shot of the Shadow Guard custom.
yzsDwAP.jpg

The Sandtroopers in the back aren't paying attention and discussing guns instead.
QlNBLho.jpg

Very nice. I was looking for inspiration to samurize zuckss. Thank you.
Nice color scheme. Close to the original, but you did your own thing.
Suggestion: devil is in the details. Paint the laces that hold the armor together in a different color. This will give you another level of realism and texture. Small brush, lot of patience and a lot of happiness with result.

What is the material for the coat? You mentioned some wires.

I am working on Dengar as sohei monk. IG and Bosk are in my head for some fture project...

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm still going to do a few more finishing touches on it since I'm rarely completely 100% satisfied with something and always return to it later to fix or modify something once I've learned new techniques, I'll add some paint here and there probably.

The coat/robe is made of two "Saint Seiya Myth Cloth" capes, glued metal wire along the edges, painted the original pinkish cloth brown... they are crappy quality cloth that I never used for my Saint Seiya figures so that was a good use for them!

I too am working on a Dengar custom, though not as a monk, more like a shinobi. IG-88 I'm hesitant to start working on because 1) it would require basically sculpting from scratch and I'm not an expert and 2) they showed concept arts for it already so I figure they may eventually release him.

I'd like to do Bossk too, again I don't want to make him an alien but I figured it would be a cool idea to make a samurai with a dragon/reptile-themed helmet/faceguard and claws on gloves and shoes to represent the Trandoshan.

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm still going to do a few more finishing touches on it since I'm rarely completely 100% satisfied with something and always return to it later to fix or modify something once I've learned new techniques, I'll add some paint here and there probably.

The coat/robe is made of two "Saint Seiya Myth Cloth" capes, glued metal wire along the edges, painted the original pinkish cloth brown... they are crappy quality cloth that I never used for my Saint Seiya figures so that was a good use for them!

I too am working on a Dengar custom, though not as a monk, more like a shinobi. IG-88 I'm hesitant to start working on because 1) it would require basically sculpting from scratch and I'm not an expert and 2) they showed concept arts for it already so I figure they may eventually release him.

I'd like to do Bossk too, again I don't want to make him an alien but I figured it would be a cool idea to make a samurai with a dragon/reptile-themed helmet/faceguard and claws on gloves and shoes to represent the Trandoshan.

I would try IG as Komuso monk. Someone in this thread suggested it a long time ago. It is more japanese themed then samurized alien robot and the head is a perfect match. The problem is robe / cloth parts.
Bossk you could do like Kappa or some other folklore creature, not necessary as reptile themed samurai

I started this line because I love Star Wars and I love samurai, so that seemed like a match made in heaven. A big reason why I find this line interesting is also because I realize Lucas was inspired in part by old samurai movies when he went about imagining the galaxy of Star Wars.

For that reason also, I never really understood the appeal of the Marvel line in this Movie Realization brand because Marvel super heroes are american culture icons, though they've become known worldwide for the most part.

And yet when Spiderman came out, I really liked the design and especially his weapon of choice, the grappling hook / spider web.

I grabbed a cheap knockoff and I knew someday I'd like to use this figure as the basis for a custom Star Wars figure but I was stumped as to whom I'd use Spiderman for.

Then it hit me. Spiderman is a "bug-themed" (I know, spiders aren't bugs!) character, and uses his web to capture villains.

Having been a fan of the Empire Strikes Back bounty hunters since childhood, I immediately drew a comparison to Zuckuss, a bug-like alien with a snare gun that shoots a spray-net to capture his bounties.

For reference, this is Zuckuss :

4UbAqBx.jpg

And this is the Spiderman Movie Realization figure :

B9nU4rD.jpg

Now my goal isn't really to make a perfect copy of Zuckuss since I don't want actual alien creatures in my display, I want them to be samurai warriors who would have armored heavily inspired on the characters they are supposed to represent.

I got to work on it, with hardening polymer clay, paint, cloth and other tidbits, and I'd like to show you the result :

Here is my version of Zuckuss standing near his "colleague" Boba Fett. The "robe" has metal wire inside it to pose it as you see fit.
jzQD9bi.jpg

Close-up on the face. I used hardening polymer clay for the eyes, respirator, and the filtering device.
ap4UCst.jpg

Here he joined the rest of the collection so far, joining his other custom friends, Death Trooper and Emperor's Shadow Guard.
ZalPmET.jpg

Another angle.
tTmtaLC.jpg

Just for fun, a shot of the Shadow Guard custom.
yzsDwAP.jpg

The Sandtroopers in the back aren't paying attention and discussing guns instead.
QlNBLho.jpg
Very cool, how are the Spiderman bootlegs?

I don't have an original Spiderman so it's hard to compare but it seemed just fine to me. Paintwork seemed good, all joints worked fine, no loose or broken swivels. Only "issue" I had was the left forearm didn't stick too much to the elbow joint if you removed the hand, it tends to fall off. But I just put a dab of superglue into the bottom of the slot and it's all fixed.

Definitely not a bad bootleg.

Dengar finally done. Taikoyaku custom. Backpack from scratch. Head is He-man from 80s. Luckily head has scratches like dengars face.
In samurai world this is a sohei monk. Dengars dirty and worn-out brown armor meets budhist yellow and sohei naginata.

Dengar is not one of my favourite characters, but I am pleased with this custom and porting Dengar to Japan.

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 148
Excelent fit Dengar=Sohei monk

Attachments

• IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 151
Dengar finally done. Taikoyaku custom. Backpack from scratch. Head is He-man from 80s. Luckily head has scratches like dengars face.
In samurai world this is a sohei monk. Dengars dirty and worn-out brown armor meets budhist yellow and sohei naginata.

Dengar is not one of my favourite characters, but I am pleased with this custom and porting Dengar to Japan.
Awesome, love that you can see his face

Has anyone picked up any of the bootlegs for this line by any chance? Was curious about using them for mods and army building.

Has anyone picked up any of the bootlegs for this line by any chance? Was curious about using them for mods and army building.

More talk about bootlegs in this thread than the official releases. Its all bootlegs and customs these days so plenyy of info in here. Pics of customs based on bootlegs on this very page.

Back