Taking out of the box

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRedfield

Freakzoid
Reaction score
My mum bought me a Jill Valentine Hot Toys figure but she says I cannot take her out of the box. She says she spent too much for it and it will ruin the value of it in future if i take her out of the box. Nothing I say will convince her otherwise to let me have her on display. :p

What do I do or say?

16, I'm not a child I don't want to play with it lol...
But I'd like to have it on display and she said she won't buy anymore if I take her out of the box...

16, I'm not a child I don't want to play with it lol...
But I'd like to have it on display and she said she won't buy anymore if I take her out of the box...

Okay, just checking. As long as you don't damage the box there's no significant change in value, if any. These figures were made to be taken out of the box and put back as needed. More importantly it's always good to take a look at the figure and make sure there's no damage. Even MIB collectors like to make sure that the figure itself is indeed mint within the package. So reason #1: inspection.

If you need more than that to crack your mom's defenses I'd show her some threads in the 'Show your shelves' section of the board so she can how folks display their 1/6th collections.

My mum bought me a Jill Valentine Hot Toys figure but she says I cannot take her out of the box. She says she spent too much for it and it will ruin the value of it in future if i take her out of the box. Nothing I say will convince her otherwise to let me have her on display. :p

What do I do or say?

I'm sure somebody @ Sideshow will answer this...
:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Okay, just checking. As long as you don't damage the box there's no significant change in value, if any. These figures were made to be taken out of the box and put back as needed. More importantly it's always good to take a look at the figure and make sure there's no damage. Even MIB collectors like to make sure that the figure itself is indeed mint within the package. So reason #1: inspection.

If you need more than that to crack your mom's defenses I'd show her some threads in the 'Show your shelves' section of the board so she can how folks display their 1/6th collections.

Lol! She said herself "These figures wern't made to be taken out of their box..." Guess I'll be showing her the shelves thread then! :p

But I still wouldn't be able to sell it as new in future even if all the original accessories are intact?

If you're worried about value and reselling, then toy collecting is not for you. Go trade stocks or something.

It's not me, It's my mum. She said she feels like shes wasted HER money if I open it.

Check out this thread and maybe show it to her: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38572

Lot's of collectors advocating opening the box. Show her some For Sale posts or some ebay listings verifying that opening high-end figures (the story is very different for toy aisle toys) doesn't significantly affect resale price.

If that doesn't work, give it back to her and tell her it does you no good in the box so she can keep her money.

And next time, check you're posting your questions in the right section...

Tell her that next time to buy you two of each figure, one you can open and pose and display, and one that stays MIB.

Edit: Also, and don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure Jill Valentine will really appreciate that much in value. If it was the T-800, or a Batman/Joker DX, an original Predator, or even Iron Man, then yes, they will increase over time, but I'm not sure waiting it out to see if Jill Valentine gains in value over the next 2-3 years is worth not being able to enjoy the figure now. Just "play" with it lightly, don't break it, keep it out of direct sun, never feed it after midnight or get it wet, and you should be able to resell it later... if it does actually increase in value.

Last edited:
Back