Superman PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman PF: Classic or nuDC

• Total voters
Re: Superman

I have a feeling it'll happen too just not right out of the gate. I think you'll see SSC actually offer up artist specific pieces after they hit their own versions similar to the way DCD did....only better.

Does everyone think that the ex will come with a print? If this happens, I'll get the regular from a shop near me. I'm not a print person like some of you. Now, if it isn't a print, what would you like to see as the ex piece?

I still say no, if we are in agreement that the one shown in the video, the bald one with highbrows is Superman then it still doesn't look like Ross'. Ross' look has more wrinkles to it, a definite headshape and neck, very stylized
Looking it, it looks more Dan Jurgens as a starting point:
the eyebrows could be Jurgens, but that is all I see could be from his style.
superman7.jpg

same chin/mouth/nose and similar eyebrows. even the neck looks thick like Ross' style.

superman3.jpg

RossKingdomComeSuperman.jpg

well if it's ross then i'll pass, never like that style, hopefully they'd do the 1:1 ross's style and the pf more comic style.

well if it's ross then i'll pass, never like that style, hopefully they'd do the 1:1 ross's style and the pf more comic style.

from the Concept, the PF looks more of All Star Superman, Frank Quitely look to it.

Mike and I are having an off conversation about the 1:1

I still don't see Ross in that base, the AR Superman always had an older look to him that I just don't see in the 1:1, although since they clearly announced that the base for The Joker was Bolland I'm sure when Supes gets his due they'll disclose the base for that as well. I'd be very interested to see what was printed out and hung around that sculptor for reference

I still say no, if we are in agreement that the one shown in the video, the bald one with highbrows is Superman then it still doesn't look like Ross'. Ross' look has more wrinkles to it, a definite headshape and neck, very stylized

superman2.jpg

Ross' look isn't stylized.

superman_alex_ross.jpg

Looking it, it looks more Dan Jurgens as a starting point:

2011-01-06.2.jpg

but then again idealized like their Joker.

That's not Dan Jurgens' work, it's Jerry Ordway.

Superman would have been in China within three seconds if he flew head first into the ground ;)

Ross' look isn't stylized.

The definition of stylized (one of them) is to bend or conform something to a particular look or styling, are you going to argue that Ross' stuff isn't done in a way that it's almost immediately recognizable as Ross despite other artists using the realistic painted styling like Dell'Otto for example? We aren't talking Humberto Ramos or Ed McGuinness distorted but we are still talking stylized to his particular look.

That's not Dan Jurgens' work, it's Jerry Ordway.

Is it? I could have sworn that was Jurgens, well it furthers my point that both Jurgens and Ordway for example drew Superman in such a similar fashion that it becomes the iconic staple and I think that Sideshow for their 1:1 are pulling from those 90s artists and probably digging into the artists like Curt Swan or Alex Ross or even Jon Bogdanove (if it goes that deep) for something that is instantly recognizable there as their interpretations.

Huh. Then I stand corrected.

"Looking it, it looks more Jerry Ordway as a starting point" :D

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree Mike :1-1:

that is unless SS tells us like they did with the Joker PF :lol

the funny thing would be if neither of us was right :lol :slap

I wouldn't say that Jurgens' and Ordway's art was similar, but that's just my opinion.

Realism is one thing. There is still a selectivity involved in the creative process that would not exist in a photographic method that sought to faithfully document a visually tangible subject.

A mugshot is as realistic a studio portrait shot, but only one is photographic art.

Back