Superman PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman PF: Classic or nuDC

• Total voters
So losing pants and having a body armor means more modern? Gee, these guys are real geniuses! And here I am thinking that modernity had to be in the scenarii! Should have thought about that earlier! Everything is in the no-pants attitude! Have to go not wearing them at work, I'll look "modern"! :slap

LOL, there's no going back. Previous storyline and environment are way too old. That's why they, DC, reset it to reflect modern day living. That's how they relate to more buyers.

"Understand this, things are now in motion that cannot be undone." - Gandalf, LOTR - The Return of the King.

That's what I think too!

Two great movies and two good TV series, the rest being absolute crap!
In the meantime, Marvel makes good movies!

DC sucks!

Marvel makes good movies? Correction: Marvel makes average, popcorn movies. Thor, Iron Man 2, Captain America, Spider-Man 1-3, the two Hulk movies are all average at best. Only Iron Man 1 is good but still it is nowhere near to the two Nolan Batman movies. Of course DC, WB is the same...only their Batman series is brilliant so far. Lets hope Superman will live up to the expectations.

So losing pants and having a body armor means more modern? Gee, these guys are real geniuses! And here I am thinking that modernity had to be in the scenarii! Should have thought about that earlier! Everything is in the no-pants attitude! Have to go not wearing them at work, I'll look "modern"! :slap

Sorry but Marvel is the same at the comic area. They "modernize" their characters the same way like DC does. They add really nothing to the reboot and to the characters...they make a little twist here and there and sometimes they change a few characters from better to worst or from bad to good.

Last edited:
Why the hell would he need an armoured suit, he is bullet proof after all. Anyway, I like the classic costume but it does need some modernising.

Why the hell would he need an armoured suit, he is bullet proof after all. Anyway, I like the classic costume but it does need some modernising.

Because there are enemies(and weapons) out there who can kill him and hurt him and stronger than him and also he ain't that all powerfull in the new comics?

Last edited:
Let me put it differently...

For me, the costume of superheroes are like billboards. You have to be able to identify them instantly and completely. The difference between success and failure is easy.

-close your eyes and think about the character. If you dee it clearly and in every details, then it means the creator has achieved his goal: identification in simplicity.

Most of the early costume designes had that strength: Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Captain America...

Simple, streamlined, perfect.

A lot of modern stuff add lines to make things, supposedly, more modern, and this is where they fail, by losing simplicity and, with it the iconic value of the costume.

Examples?

Batman 89: Close your eyes and you can still see all the details = win
TDK or the new Supes? do the sme thing. You'll remember part of it, not all the details = aesthetic win but iconic fail

Let me put it differently...

For me, the costume of superheroes are like billboards. You have to be able to identify them instantly and completely. The difference between success and failure is easy.

-close your eyes and think about the character. If you dee it clearly and in every details, then it means the creator has achieved his goal: identification in simplicity.

Most of the early costume designes had that strength: Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Captain America...

Simple, streamlined, perfect.

A lot of modern stuff add lines to make things, supposedly, more modern, and this is where they fail, by losing simplicity and, with it the iconic value of the costume.

Examples?

Batman 89: Close your eyes and you can still see all the details = win
TDK or the new Supes? do the sme thing. You'll remember part of it, not all the details = aesthetic win but iconic fail

That's a very poor example. There are many Nolancompoops who could draw you every nook and cranny of the TDK suit... blindfolded. :lol

I would more agree with the watered down aspect of it though, making the characters more realistic and stripping them of the "fantasy" aspect that their comic book counterparts have.

Sure, you're right!

But that's because they love the movie so much they have studied every angle of it!

I'm not sure it was the same when they came out of the movie!

On the contrary, I was probably 6 or 7 when I watched my first Hannah Barbera Spiderman animated, and I could have drawn it immediately (I actually did! :D)

That's a very poor example. There are many Nolancompoops who could draw you every nook and cranny of the TDK suit... blindfolded. :lol

I would more agree with the watered down aspect of it though, making the characters more realistic and stripping them of the "fantasy" aspect that their comic book counterparts have.

Sure, you're right!

But that's because they love the movie so much they have studied every angle of it!

I'm not sure it was the same when they came out of the movie!

On the contrary, I was probably 6 or 7 when I watched my first Hannah Barbera Spiderman animated, and I could have drawn it immediately (I actually did! :D)

I absolutely LOVED that show. It's so painful to watch now, but back then, that show was definitely the ____! :rock:rock:rock

Sure, you're right! But that's because they love the movie so much they have studied every angle of it! I'm not sure it was the same when they came out of the movie!

This is still misguided logic. You are putting your own likes and dislikes and generalizing based on what you consider iconic. Superman's "S" is iconic because despite the changes of the character, the look, whether it's the Action Comics #1 version or the Rebirth of Superman black suit form the 90s or the Electric Superman it didn't disappear. Items like his cape, the undies, even the spitcurl do not exactly make that mark. Batman's symbol, Green Lantern's ring, those things fall into that category.

The rest is simple preference. When TDK came out there were people on various boards who loved it and were trying to replicate the suit before they came out of the movie. There are people who love TDK who hate that suit.

Superman's new suit may not be in your liking but it doesn't mean that others wouldn't hold that dear as you hold your Hanna-Barbara Spider-Man memories. For some readers new to the genre this IS their Superman suit, not to mention it's practically reinforced by the film mimicking the majority of the New 52.

I guarantee you with characters like Superman, Batman, SSC will give every incarnation they can get us to buy, no need to worry there. The danger comes with lower tiered characters like Zatanna or Hawk & Dove or even Aquaman where they might go "one and done" and then fans have to figure out whether or not to get it.

I guarantee you with characters like Superman, Batman, SSC will give every incarnation they can get us to buy, no need to worry there. The danger comes with lower tiered characters like Zatanna or Hawk & Dove or even Aquaman where they might go "one and done" and then fans have to figure out whether or not to get it.

I can already hear the screams...

Voted for classic Superman. Sorry but that is still Superman to me. You can't beat that classic 75 years look in my opinion.

You can! It just takes time. The newer generation will love it better, much better. To me the trunkless version is more appealing design wise, but I still want the classic look first, because well...that is the classic.

The new version is just so intricate that it may not stand the test of time. On top of unique shapes, it has a texture to it, also adding more things to be remembered. Also I feel its not immutable, it just lacks permanence to me.

Back