SUPERMADTOYS 1/6 Bionic Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that are selling just the head, for sure it must
mean” the original limited release “ is no
longer that limited. But for $50 , you get a
painted head with free shipping, that is the steal
of the century

Here’s mine that I put together using an old HT Thor body and Supermad parts from TA.

2039C95D-33F5-4E41-89E4-C7D35E9D35BC.jpeg

When the sculpt went up for pre-order I bought one on a whim.

Had no idea what I was going to do with it. Since they're shipping out now I had a wander around my collection for inspiration.

And the answer seemed so simple. I have DAM Toys' three pressure suit figures. The white SR-71 Black Bird is just begging for a Steve Austin sculpt...

2__13484.1461045895.jpg

32756099728_f462bd3c05_o.png

45715842665_ab93e54ce0_o.png

When the sculpt went up for pre-order I bought one on a whim.

Had no idea what I was going to do with it. Since they're shipping out now I had a wander around my collection for inspiration.

And the answer seemed so simple. I have DAM Toys' three pressure suit figures. The white SR-71 Black Bird is just begging for a Steve Austin sculpt...

2__13484.1461045895.jpg

32756099728_f462bd3c05_o.png

45715842665_ab93e54ce0_o.png

Great idea! I didn't know these astronauts were out there--looks perfect. Take a picture of it with Steve's head if you can. I would love to see how it looks!

Great idea! I didn't know these astronauts were out there--looks perfect. Take a picture of it with Steve's head if you can. I would love to see how it looks!

They're not quite astronauts, but high altitude pressure suits. DAM did two versions of the SR-71 Blackbird S901J pressure suit, which was in use from 1966. The white one they termed 'Test Pilot' came with a Tommy Lee Jones sculpt, and a brown one, which they called 'Flight Test Engineer', with a Donald Sutherland sculpt.

I see on the previous page darksith72 is showing the third figure - the U-2 Dragon Lady pilot in an S1034 pressure suit, which was in use from 1996. That one came with a Clint Eastwood sculpt.

I changed the sculpts on mine because they were more useful for other projects, and since the DAM heads have integral necks I used the necks from narrow shoulder bodies to use neckless sculpts. So Steve Austin should plug straight on, and with luck sit lower than it does on the stock SuperMad body.

In the screen grabs I made from the Six Million Dollar Man film it looks like Steve might be wearing a white S901J without the 'vest' part.

There's an excellent downloadable book on the history of US pressure suits on the NASA site:

https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/683215main_DressingAltitude-ebook.pdf

Thanks for that. That PDF is pretty extensive!

I did a quick look around for the DAM figure and it seems like the white suit is no longer available although I found plenty of the brown suit version around.

The sculpt was just delivered.

I wasn't expecting anything truly outstanding, considering my last SuperMad figure was their fairly mediocre Harley Quinn. However, their latest work has been looking light years ahead in quality.

Therefore, on opening the little black box I was pretty much blown away by the quality of the Steve Austin head. It's a fantastic sculpt that's captured so much detail, such as the crows feet. Paintwork is also top quality, I'd say up there with Hot Toys.

SuperMad have made a huge leap forward, and it gives me much more confidence about the Blade Runner figures I pre-ordered.

I'll get around to trying the head on the SR-71 suit later.

I have great trouble taking photos of figures that accurately reflect how they appear in reality, so I generally don't bother. Took about 50 photos of the SuperMad sculpt with variations of camera flash and a white LED lamp, and none of them came close.

This was the best I managed to show the texture:

45784625295_025a7c7be9_c.jpg

And this for a more accurate skin tone:

45784625245_d308e09327_o.jpg

Back