Stranger Things (Netflix show)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stranger Things (netflix show)

Really enjoyed this! Smashed it in 2 days, brings back some very nostalgic feelings! The good old days where you and your friends would ride late into the night and chat on your Walkie Talkies [emoji1] Ah growing up in the 80s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously. And did we ever see all the parents? or just 2 out of the 4 kids?

I don't remember any other parents other than Mike's parents and Will's mother; Joyce.
scratchhead.gif

I don't remember any other parents other than Mike's parents and Will's mother; Joyce.
scratchhead.gif

That's all we saw. Mike's mom not checking the basement didn't bother me because she didn't strike me as the type that was doing her own housework and that seemed to be the boys area so she left it alone. Mike's dad on the other hand was a complete puss and waste of oxygen. How he ever became a dad is beyond me.

That's all we saw. Mike's mom not checking the basement didn't bother me because she didn't strike me as the type that was doing her own housework and that seemed to be the boys area so she left it alone. Mike's dad on the other hand was a complete puss and waste of oxygen. How he ever became a dad is beyond me.

That's how the 80's were. Parents didn't smother their kids like they do now.

We saw all of the parents during the funeral scene. And yes the 80's was way different. I remember leaving my house in the mornings and not returning until dinner time. It was normal. I would never let my kids do that now.

Yep. I went out to play all day. My mother just wanted me home for dinner.

Parents never let kids do that today, ironically it's a lot safer now than in the 80's.

Sent from my Motherbox PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING

Growing up in the 80's I was able to go out all day and do what I wanted as long as my parents knew where I was going and who I was with. If I went somewhere that they didn't know of; all I had to do was call and let them know.

Yep. I went out to play all day. My mother just wanted me home for dinner.

Parents never let kids do that today, ironically it's a lot safer now than in the 80's.

IMO it's the opposite.

Safer now? No way. I was always out all day and my parents had to come find me and drag me home for dinner half the time. Back then you could let your kids run around and play and if you left a door unlocked you didn't panic......today? Not so much.

Stranger Things (netflix show)

look at the FBI crime statistics. The 80's had much more crime in general, including violent crime than today. The only time there was more crime in the US in the past 50 years than the 80s was in the 90s. All forms of crime steadily climbed in the 90's then started to plummet in the 2000s. Contrary to what the news would have you think, we're about as safe today in the United States as we were in the 60s.

look at the FBI crime statistics. The 80's had much more crime in general, including violent crime than today. The only time there was more crime in the US in the past 50 years than the 80s was in the 90s. All forms of crime steadily climbed in the 90's then started to plummet in the 2000s. Contrary to what the news would have you think, we're about as safe today in the United States as we were in the 60s.

Stats....never manipulated or outright falsified to make people think what they want you to......

Stats....never manipulated or outright falsified to make people think what they want you to......

Your right, your "gut feelings" and clumsy assertions are probably more accurate.

I believe whatever your opinions are from now on. You know best.

Your right, your "gut feelings" and clumsy assertions are probably more accurate.

I believe whatever your opinions are from now on. You know best.

At least you'll be right more often from now on.

10/10.

Loved it. Millie Bobby Brown deserves a Golden Globe and an Emmy. She's superb as Eleven. Can't wait to see her in more.

Theories:

-The "Upside Down" is actually the future and not another dimension. "The Door" is a time portal to a post-apocalyptic future where WWIII happened and everything is covered in nuclear fallout. This explains why the atmosphere in the Upside Down is toxic, why everything in Hawkins is covered in debris & why all of the monster's prey comes from our world. There's nothing left to eat in the future.

-Will is the Monster. What we have here is a paradox where Will must be kidnapped & infected by his future self to then set the events into motion that will destroy the world via his infection (the Russians attack USA to stop the plague?) This explains why Will survived the monster unlike everyone else. *Will ran the game in Episode I and pulled the Demogorgon. I think this was foreshadowing to the villainous role he will play.

-Eleven is an alien. She comes from a society of fifth-dimensional beings who made contact with her mother whilst inside the tank during MK Ultra and impregnated her with a "Carrie" baby in an effort to save the world from nuclear holocaust. Ironically, it seems Eleven is responsible for said holocaust because she's the one who opened the time portal.

-Eleven is alive and can reconstitute. This may be why she's "011". Brenner may have destroyed her ten times and every time she reconstituted he branded her with a number.

Came into the thread to see what people were saying about the show and I see Kit throwing out the ol' "I reject your facts because they do not substantiate my preconceived notions" card. <3 ya man, but come on. :rotfl

Anyway, finished the show in one sitting. Absolutely superb. It also relies heavily on a lot of young characters and none of them were insufferable. Even the teenage daughter character was likable -- a feat for modern storytelling in and of itself!

I don't care about statistics. I go by what I've seen in my life and those I know personally affected by crimes that have taken place in the last twenty years.

So let's just agree to disagree. :duff :peace

yay-statistics.gif

(You're probably right - I just love this gif.)

:rotfl :rotfl

There's no agreeing or disagreeing. It's not a matter of opinion. I'm talking about the results of many, many independent studies going back for decades, and the FBI's own crime statistics.

For some folks the warmth of "gut instinct" is far more comforting than "cold" facts.

The willfully ignorant can take comfort in the fact that jellyfish have survived for millions of years without brains...

...if you believe in jellyfish that is.

Back