Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015) Discussion Thread

The only difference in production of the 3 movies is that TPM was shot on film whereas the others were shot digitally. They used about the same amount of practical FX and CG.

TPM did have a lot more actual location shooting, though. AOTC only had a little. ROTS had absolutely none.

Those aren't critiques, what about it makes it look cartoony? A cartoon is a style that looks nothing like CG, even bad CG doesn't look like a cartoon.

No, a cartoon is a style that looks nothing like *good* CG. Bad CG on the other hand appears 2D, obviously drawn by an artist, and insubstantial. Which unfortunately accounts for a lot of the PT.

I hated Goblin Town in the Hobbit, just for that exact reason. The way the CG was used just pulled me right out...

... I am bracing myself for more of the same with the barrel ride to Lake Town in this Fall's installment. :horror :lol

TPM did have a lot more actual location shooting, though. AOTC only had a little. ROTS had absolutely none.

This is one of the main reasons why I think TPM is the best of the prequels. With as much actual location shooting that it has, it resembles the OT much more than ATOC and ROTS. If they stick to this with the new trilogy they will be off to a good start.

No, a cartoon is a style that looks nothing like *good* CG. Bad CG on the other hand appears 2D, obviously drawn by an artist, and insubstantial. Which unfortunately accounts for a lot of the PT.

I hated Goblin Town in the Hobbit, just for that exact reason. The way the CG was used just pulled me right out...

... I am bracing myself for more of the same with the barrel ride to Lake Town in this Fall's installment. :horror :lol

Again, it's all in how it's used. And in what abundance.

I still maintain that the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park (a movie now 20 years old) still feel more tangible and photo-real than any CG effect since then, even though the technology today is light years ahead. It's absolutely in how it's used, and that is on the filmmakers, not the CG artists who can only do what they're asked.

The propensity now is to go overboard with it, and that breaks the 4th wall every single time. For me, anyway. Because the aesthetic is so absolutely otherwordly and unrealistic. And I don't mean "otherwordly" in a "that's perfect for sci-fi" way. I mean as in it doesn't look like anything tangible in our dimension.

The only difference in production of the 3 movies is that TPM was shot on film whereas the others were shot digitally. They used about the same amount of practical FX and CG.
By practical stuff.. I'm also talking locations. :)

:exactly:

It's pretty obvious. :huh

Did they go to Tunisia?

Man, I really want to get to the igloo site some day! :pray:

I *loved* Goblin Town and pretty much all CG in The Hobbit . :lol

Even the incredibly dodgy rabbit sled compositing still had a certain "Indy and friends on the life raft" charm to it IMO. :D

LOTR isn't immune though. I've never been thrilled with the FOTR Moria halls, TTT wargs, or ROTK lighting of the beacons visuals. A lot of LOTR is 100% animated of course but to me it's always something that either HAS to be (200,000 orcs, fellbeasts, etc.) or just looks so damn cool that I don't mind even if it was unnecessary (the AUJ goblins.)

Was Tunisia not even used for the final scene with Owen and Beru?

They filmed one shot for that ROTS sequence when they were there for AOTC... but they ended up completely re-doing the shot digitally. :slap

LFL's tagline last decade:

"We can do anything now!"

(disclaimer):

"..except make you believe what you're seeing is really there."

They filmed one shot for that ROTS sequence when they were there for AOTC... but they ended up completely re-doing the shot digitally. :slap

There's so much annoying crap like that in the PT. :gah:

Like the phony AOTC Genosis balcony. They built either a full size balcony or made a miniature (can't remember which) but then at the last second George decided that the architecture needed more female genatalia and they redid the whole thing digitally.

And they built a full size shuttle for Obi-Wan to stand in at the beginning of ROTS where he tells Anakin to go off with the politicians after they crash landed Grievous' ship and again at the last second George said he wanted the design of the ship reversed so they made a phony looking cartoon ship for McGregor to stand in instead.

(disclaimer):

"..except make you believe what you're seeing is really there."

:lol BINGO.

There's so much annoying crap like that in the PT. :gah:

Like the phony AOTC Genosis balcony. They built either a full size balcony or made a miniature (can't remember which) but then at the last second George decided that the architecture needed more female genatalia and they redid the whole thing digitally.

And they built a full size shuttle for Obi-Wan to stand in at the beginning of ROTS where he tells Anakin to go off with the politicians after they crash landed Grievous' ship and again at the last second George said he wanted the design of the ship reversed so they made a phony looking cartoon ship for McGregor to stand in instead.

:lecture:lecture:exactly::slap

..& of course the next logical step after the digital trilogy, was to do an entirely CG show - which they did. :lol

Yeah, but at least that was admittedly an animated show and not supposed to be "live action".

I *loved* Goblin Town and pretty much all CG in The Hobbit . :lol

Even the incredibly dodgy rabbit sled compositing still had a certain "Indy and friends on the life raft" charm to it IMO. :D

LOTR isn't immune though. I've never been thrilled with the FOTR Moria halls, TTT wargs, or ROTK lighting of the beacons visuals. A lot of LOTR is 100% animated of course but to me it's always something that either HAS to be (200,000 orcs, fellbeasts, etc.) or just looks so damn cool that I don't mind even if it was unnecessary (the AUJ goblins.)

I loved Goblin Town as well. It was really darn cool IMO. The Warg chase was a bit wacky again.

There are a few things in The Lord of the Rings. The Warg chase scene comes to mind as one. I don't know how anyone can dislike that Moria halls sequence. It's one of the coolest moments in all three films.

Yeah but if you aren't going to do what it takes to make anything look real then technically filmmakers have always had the option to do whatever they wanted.

mpdance.jpeg

Back