Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015) Discussion Thread

Interesting. According to reports:

But that is not all! As I mentioned before Leonardo DiCaprio was up for a role in Star Wars but passed. He passed because he wants to do a project that is being developed and that project is…

“Robotech”

So, JJ and company were going after DiCaprio? It'll be interesting once casting is done to see what role he was being offered.

I actually think Zac would be good. Kinda like Jimmy Smits in the prequels...

I remember when DiCaprio was rumoured for Anakin. Turned out he was too good for it in hindsight.

This may sound weird, but now that GL is not as involved JW's score can actually express it's self better.

I can already tell what JJ is going to attempt to do. He's going to try to set up a new tale for a new generation, that tries to recapture some of the feel and magic of the first one.(but still be somewhat different) Which GL failed to do with the prequels.

I'm just so curious as to what these could possibly be about.

I just found out that Zac was in an episode of Firefly! :D

He's got his geek cred already!

You gotta think JJ is not going to use any EU, right? :dunno

Maybe just a few beats, and some nods to the fans.

I would be very surprised if there aren't a few characters from the EU there. I just don't expect any adaptation of an EU story.

Bring on Zac Efferon.

If he sucks, then he sucks. But he will be better then any actor in the Prequels. And that IS including Liam Neeson, Ewen McGreggor, and Samuel L. Jackson.

Because a real director will be directing them.
I know what you mean.. :lol - but you're still outta line. :mad:

Apart from Ian McDiarmid, I felt Liam Neeson was the only actor in the whole PT doing the best he could. The idea of Qui-Gon may not sit well with some, but I loved his character soley based on Neeson's performance.
Agreed - somewhat.

I liked what they ALL brought, but Neeson was awesome.

He actually made you think he WAS a Jedi master.

Confirmed by Kathleen Kennedy at Star Wars Celebration Europe | Movie News | Empire
Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that John Williams has signed up for all three films.

From the article:

She started off by confirming that the new movies would use real locations. "Like many of you, looking at all the Star Wars movie and getting a feeling for what even the early films did in combination of real locations and special effects, that’s something we’re looking very seriously at," she said.

"We’re going to find some very cool locations we’re going to use in support of Ep VII. I think we’re going to probably end up using every tool in the toolbox to create the look of these movies. that’s what we’re excited about."

But then, as things were wrapping up, Davis asked her for one tidbit that would leave the thousands of Star Wars fans in attendance in a state of enchantment. And she delivered.

"I had breakfast with someone very important to the Star Wars family on Friday," she teased, "and he has committed to being involved in the next three films, and that is Mr John Williams."

"I look forward to returning to a galaxy far, far away," said Williams in a video, played at Celebration Europe. "I actually feel like I never left it. I hope I can contribute something in the new films that will be worthy of your continued attention."

After the video played, Kennedy explained, simply, why Williams' involvement with the new movies was a must. "Every time I hear John’s music, it just gives me the chills. It’s so important to the saga. We’re all really excited that he’s a part of this."

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ4jZr1w0AI]Interview: John Williams on Scoring Star Wars: Episode VII - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Ryan Gosling and Zac Efron both were in disney club/movies. I hope disney don't start picking their own actors and let JJ do "free" picking.

No one wants to be in the theater watching one of the best franchises ever made,with some screamy girls waiting for Zac to pop is shirt...

Maybe Tom Hanks' version of Walt Disney can oversee the project, & give the necessary slap to the back of the head, of any dumb decision going forward.

We need some old school hands on management of this beloved series. :lecture :lol

I think if they going to have Imperials they should now be out of the way somewhere making sneek attacks on the new Republic, sort of Al Quaeda like..........oh wait thats Revenge of the Sith :slap

Getting back to using models and practical effects is indeed more promising news.

Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy Talks Star Wars: Episode VII | Superhero Hype

"The story and characters are all we're talking about right now," said Kennedy. "We have an amazing team at ILM, who can create fantastic effects, but if we don't have a great story and characters, the effects mean nothing. I do think making huge popular culture – and I've had the good fortune to be a part of a lot it – is really hard to do and get right. And if you don't spend the time you need on developing characters, and finding stories, complicated stories, the audience gets tired because they think they're seeing the same thing again and again."

She added that "Episode VII" will combine real locations and special effects. "It's a conversation we're having all the time in the development of 'Episode VII.' Looking at all the Star Wars movies and getting a feel for what even some of the early films did, combining real locations and special effects – that's something we're looking very seriously at. So we're going to find some very cool locations that we're going to use in support of 'Episode VII.' And I think we're probably going to end up using every single tool in the toolbox to create the look of these movies."

Davis asked Kennedy what was in that toolbox, to which she responded: "It's using model makers; it's using real droids; it's taking advantage of artwork that you actually can touch and feel. And we want to do that in combination with CG effects. We figure that's what will make it real."

Getting back to using models and practical effects is indeed more promising news.

I think this is huge,I think the oversaturation of cgi is why alot of people had trouble connecting with the PT.

Pulling all the right strings so far! :clap

Waiting for the abrupt rug pull/cast announcement soon. :lol

CGI is spoiling movies not enhancing them, the old fashion method of models and matte painting has never been matched by cgi. Everyone was in awe with cgi at first but its just so easy to spot and looks cartoonish.

Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy Talks Star Wars: Episode VII | Superhero Hype

"The story and characters are all we're talking about right now," said Kennedy. "We have an amazing team at ILM, who can create fantastic effects, but if we don't have a great story and characters, the effects mean nothing. I do think making huge popular culture – and I've had the good fortune to be a part of a lot it – is really hard to do and get right. And if you don't spend the time you need on developing characters, and finding stories, complicated stories, the audience gets tired because they think they're seeing the same thing again and again."

She added that "Episode VII" will combine real locations and special effects. "It's a conversation we're having all the time in the development of 'Episode VII.' Looking at all the Star Wars movies and getting a feel for what even some of the early films did, combining real locations and special effects – that's something we're looking very seriously at. So we're going to find some very cool locations that we're going to use in support of 'Episode VII.' And I think we're probably going to end up using every single tool in the toolbox to create the look of these movies."

Davis asked Kennedy what was in that toolbox, to which she responded: "It's using model makers; it's using real droids; it's taking advantage of artwork that you actually can touch and feel. And we want to do that in combination with CG effects. We figure that's what will make it real."

I find it hilarious the way they're essentially admitting how crappy Lucas's approach on the Prequels was....without actually saying it directly.

Back