Star Wars novels chronology???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpf1138

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just inherited a huge box of what must be almost every Star Wars novel ever written after my uncle passed away. My question is where should I start reading? I would like to start after the original trilogy in the timeline, but which books start it out?:dunno

Release date :dunno

But some which were released later take place at different points in the SW timeline. I just found a Wookiepedia page that seems to explain it all though. Now I've got some reading to do...

If they're like the Star Trek books, they'll be jumping around all over the time line. I know there's a timeline for books, comics and shows for ST and I'm sure someone has taken the time to make a timeline for Star Wars as well.

The newer novels have the novel chronology printed at the front of the books.

^^This is probably what your looking for. Best option for a streamlined chronology of just the novels. Deceived or Knight Errant which just came out should have to most up to date chronology.

If you want to see where all the comics, juvenile books, young reader series, ect. fit in between all the novels the link above is good, but he has been slow on updates recently. Rob Mullin probably has the most up to date and extensive chronology at the moment: Link

This is a good chronology too: Link

They go up to 42 years after Star Wars?! Do Luke and co. still play major roles in the later books?
Yes, the last book I read was from the the New Jedi Order series and Luke was the Grand Master Jedi iirc.

The newer novels have the novel chronology printed at the front of the books.

:lecture What he said. I'm just starting Fatal Alliance as of yesterday. The Darth Bane trilogy novels are my favorite Star Wars novels to date. Fatal Alliance is pretty good from the 5 chapters I've read so I really look forward to getting more in this specific timeline.

Last edited:
They go up to 42 years after Star Wars?! Do Luke and co. still play major roles in the later books?

Very much so. In the Star Wars universe people age very gracefully. At some point they're going to have to kill off Han, Luke and Leia can hang around longer with their Jedi genes. Judging by Yoda, Luke could be around forever. :lol

There are alot of new supporting characters as well, so its not all Luke, Han, and Leia.

Very much so. In the Star Wars universe people age very gracefully. At some point they're going to have to kill off Han, Luke and Leia can hang around longer with their Jedi genes. Judging by Yoda, Luke could be around forever. :lol

There are alot of new supporting characters as well, so its not all Luke, Han, and Leia.

This has to be one of my gripes with the newest books. I know Lucas probably shoots down any possibilities for how to do this, but it's almost like he's in denial that eventually Luke will either die from age or fall in combat.

They originally wanted to kill Luke at the beginning of The New Jedi Order, but Lucas nixed it. I won't say what they did instead since the original poster is reading the books now, but I liked the alternative they came up with.

Back