Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the best of the ST. Not saying much there.

Better effects and such, but not a better movie than anything from 1-6.

Hell, Jake Lloyd is a kid and he puts forth a far more believable, even tempered character than Daisy did. Rey had that great opening and it was all downhill from their. She is the embodiment of a petulant child. Mary Rey Sue.

It?s funny. Disney could have simply rehashed the OT, Luke trains her in TLJ, she goes to confront the Emperor far too soon, gets the ?I am your Grandfather? line and turns to the dark side. Ben turns to the light. Do the double turn. Her anger problems would make sense then.

Jake loyd wasnt the main problem with the pt it was HC acting in atoc. He should never been cast in that role he didnt have the acting chops at that time to handle that role. He was way better in sith but thats not saying much. Its a shame too because he turned into a good actor he was just to young- for good hc acting watch the movie Awake- if only he had that same acting experience under his belt for atoc- he is not a bad actor just poorly cast and was set up to fail because he was in way over his head

[...] Just meant showing blood in general. I always believed blaster bolts and lightsaber wounds would cauterize.

Ah yes. SW has generally been pretty bloodless given the amount of death and destruction, but the heat from a blaster bolt or energy blade would likely cauterize -- and barring a couple of examples it seems they generally do just that. I think Han had blood on his hands after tending Leia's wound in ROTJ, Ponda bled, maybe the Wampa in one of the versions of ESB(?) ... and Finn's buddy in TFA.

As illogical and inconsistent as it is, that's pretty much the one iconic image from the ST that sticks with me, but they really stuck it to that character. Ah well.

Jake loyd wasnt the main problem with the pt it was HC acting in atoc. He should never been cast in that role he didnt have the acting chops at that time to handle that role. He was way better in sith

He gets a lot of flak and perhaps justifiably so, but I've personally seen decent actors turn in terrible, stiff performances because of poor direction. Anyway -- water under the bridge now.

He gets a lot of flak and perhaps justifiably so, but I've personally seen decent actors turn in terrible, stiff performances because of poor direction. Anyway -- water under the bridge now.

Yes Natalie portman turned in terrible performances too, her best acting was that small scene on mustafar when she says anakin your breaking my heart your going down a path i cannot follow. However this still doesn't excuse how bad hc was in atoc, too bad leo didnt take the part it would been much better

Yes Natalie portman turned in terrible performances too, her best acting was that small scene on mustafar when she says anakin your breaking my heart your going down a path i cannot follow. However this still doesn't excuse how bad hc was in atoc, too bad leo didnt take the part it would been much better

LOL...no one got out of that trilogy with a decent performance except for Ewan McGregor for some reason...he seemed to have fun playing Obi Wan-as-James-Bond.

And of course Ian McDiarmid always has a blast chewing on scenery.

LOL...no one got out of that trilogy with a decent performance except for Ewan McGregor for some reason...he seemed to have fun playing Obi Wan-as-James-Bond.

And of course Ian McDiarmid always has a blast chewing on scenery.

I agree, i mean george made good actors Like NP and SJ look bad so its understandable he made a completey inexperienced actor look laughably terrible. Hayden single handily ruined the tuskan raider rescue scene it was so bad, instead of feeling the weight of the moment all you felt was laughter like an snl skit or when he sits there crying about how obi wan is holding him back the acting is so terrible, it completely rips you out of the moment. His acting and line delivery was so bad throughout most of atoc that i felt uncomfortable watching that crap, it got even worse when they start rolling around the fields of naboo, saying things nobody thats actually in love says to each other. It didnt help that NP seemed like she was utterly repulsed by HC as a person, actor, his bad breath his bad acting whatever- so all the chemistry or lack there of felt forced as ****

I dont blame her HC came off creepy as **** in atoc esp the way he looked at her most of the time, but again thats all on his very limited acting ability

ponda-baba-arm.jpg

Just meant showing blood in general. I always believed blaster bolts and lightsaber wounds would cauterize.
Did a bit better sealing job than the Steroid Olympics [emoji38]
7293eb9feb3e48f3644b44e2a7e5b012.gif

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I couldn't make it through the whole movie. Just awful. Truly awful. Nothing but compounding questions that never are answered and it continues movie after movie.

My thoughts on The Farce Awakens aka The Forced Agenda

Be prepared..... To see how much I agree with things you say :lol

The Bad:

- The title is awful. The Force Awakens? What is it awakening from? Why does it need to awaken? Questions that are not answered in this film. Every Star Wars movie prior had a title that spoke directly about the movie or shows why the film is called what it is called. The Phantom Menace was about the Phantom Menace, Palpatine, manipulating galactic events to his advantage. Attack of the Clones was about the attack of the clones at Geonosis, leading to the Clone Wars. It is about how the Clone Army was created and how the Jedi Order come to find out about it. Revenge of the Sith, simply put the Sith get their revenge by taking over the Republic and destroying the Jedi Order. A New Hope follows the new hope for the galaxy and explains who that is and why they are this new hope. Empire Strikes Back is quite literally the Empire striking back. Return of the Jedi has a Jedi return. The Force Awakens has....... what exactly?

Luke the last good Jedi has turned himself off from the force.. There has been an awakening of the force in Rey. Snoke could feel it... Now it may not be the force itself that is awakened but there was an awakening in the force..

Anyways.. The title is not really an issue for me.

- Who is this old man? How does he find the map to Luke? How does he know about the Jedi, Force, Leia, Luke, Kylo?? A cheap rip-off of Ben Kenobi, old wise guy in the desert hiding out. We never find out who he was.

Cant argue with this.. Kinda dumb... One of those "you gotta read the comics or books" to know who he is.

- The whole opening Jakku bit looks like one big set. Just awful. A feeling I have never got from a Star Wars movie until now. Honestly looks like a TV show and not a galaxy far far away. No immersion.

Boy we agree here... I hate the opening scene.. It feels just like a made for TV movie.. IMO its the biggest problem of most of TFA is that it has a TV movie feel. I have always said that so much of the film feels like it was filmed in my back yard and had an almost cosplay feel to it.. I am not sure if the opening is on a big set or if its just the way its filmed..

You know what else I hate.. The sound of the Lasers.. Where is the pew pew sound of the blasters.. They are more high pitched and lack that SW classic sound.

- TFA is a re-hash of ANH. Droid caught on desert planet, gets secret plan, running away from the Empire, goes off and randomly stumbles into the hero of the story. Creative bankrupt story within 15 minutes. The PT was uniquely the PT. The OT was uniquely the OT. The ST cannot stand on its own.

Yep.. I can deal with most of it though... The fact there is another Death Star but "Bigger" drives me crazy.. Let it be anything but another Death Star :lol

- The blood on the helmet of the stormtrooper. Trying to recreate a moment from the OT. I?d like to understand how a guy in full armor, getting shot by a blaster bolt, is bleeding that bad. Never seen in Star Wars.

:lol The recreate a moment from the OT is pushing it :lol.. I dont think that ever crossed their mind.. It was a visual story telling moment.. Maybe he was not shot... I dont remember... Could it have been an explosion?? Anyways its nothing worth complaining about IMO.

- Reusing old star fighters, like the X-Wing, is another awful idea. No creativity. Playing it safe. The cool thing about the OT/PT were all the new and unique ship designs. You could visually see that you were in a new era of Star Wars by just looking at the ships. Distinct in both trilogies, not the ST. Nothing new. Nothing exciting. Just the same old same old.

This is why I said that either Disney did not know how to sell toys.. Or that was not really an agenda after all... They use the same ships in all the films.. The outfits never really change.. I mean Lucas had something for everything.. I mean Dooku had that dumb bike and then Sailing ship.. :lol I think they made toys for both.. The ST never really went nuts with all of that.. It could be a lack of imagination... It could be they thought Toys would sell no matter what.. But I always said... Why buy another X wing if I can give my kid the old one in the attic..

This also goes to my comment that I always made... The OT needed a little more Lucas and the PT needed a lot of Lawrence Kasdan.

- Kylo Ren was their attempt at Vader. Short lines. Tries to be intimidating. Unique voice from wearing a mask. FAIL

I agreed the first time I saw this film... Now that the full story has been laid out and Kylo as a character has been fleshed out.. He is far from a fail in this film.. But if I was to judge him on just this one film then yeah.. He was not a very good villain.

- The Marvel styled humor, ?so who talks first,? is awful. It does not belong in a Star Wars movie

Meh.. Does not really bother me in this one.

- Every alien is dark, dull, depressing. No color. No real life to them like was given in the PT/OT.

A lot of truth here. I hated the Maz cantina scene the first time I saw it... I was not a fan of its Star Trek TNG feel that it had.. Having said that... Lets be honest.. The aliens in the PT may have been colorful but many of them where awful designs.

- Rey comes off as a ***** when she first speaks to BB-8. Sets her up as this teenager surviving, somewhat child like still with the doll and the helmet, then after we know what BB-8 goes through, she is reluctant the whole way through. The scene helping him makes no sense. She cares enough to save him, but not to stay with him? Then, next day, completely different person? Cares to know him and to help him and encourage him.

I dont think she wanted to be bothered with taking care of a droid... but she is a good person and will save a person / droid in need. This is not an issue at all.. I think this is you just hating :)

- Rey?s acting is very theatrical. Does not come off as believable. Jake level acting.

:lol Dude.. You are starting to lose me.. How can you say its Jake level when its better then Hayden level :lol

If you really believe this then it really is because you grew up watching the PT and are numb to just how bad most of the acting is.

- Putting the hand holding scenes in and Rey breaking it off reeks of forced feminism. Takes me right out of the movie. Force is Female indeed, so much so it must sacrifice a scene to do it. Could have just had Rey and Finn run by themselves and gotten the same point across, albeit more subtle, but they must ram it down our throats.

IMO you read this a bit wrong.. It was to show that she was a strong individual... but it also was to show that she eventually came to trust Finn when she offered him his hand.. First time viewing I did not take it that way at all.. I mean... Yeah.. its a guy trying to protect a girl.. But I think the point is that she does not need it and again it ends up symbolizing their trust and eventual strong relationship... There are many other agenda issues in the film to follow... This is really nothing to complain about IMO.

- The Falcon being on Jakku is a joke.

I guess... It was fan service for sure. I dont mind that its there as much as you. IMO its no dumber then Jango Fett...

- Rey being able to fly the Falcon better than Han Solo ever was shown too, HER FIRST TIME, is awful. Out flying two trained pilots is worse.

Ah man.. Dont take anything away from the Asteroid chase.. But yeah.. Why is she able to fly it so well... I guess its the same as Luke flying a T-16 on a desert and then flying an X wing really well... Or Anakin being so great at Pod racing.. She mentions being able to fly ships (I believe) so it makes sense that she might have pretty quick reflexes.. Again.. Now it does not bother me... But first time viewing I was right there with you.

- Falcon takes a direct hit with the shields down, nothing happens.

I would have to watch it again to remember that...

- Rey literally says ?I don?t know? and admits to never flying before. Yet, she does all that. Total joke. More powers because she is a Girl and Force is Female!

Never flown before??? Or never flown the Falcon... I thought she said something to Finn when he said "We need a pilot" And Rey says "we got one" I am assuming said ship was Rey's or a ship that she had flown before..

I mean.. Did anyone complain in Solo when Han could fly the flacon so well the first time??

I dont think you liked Solo so that may not be a good question for you :lol

- Rey comes off as a ***** yet again. Gets angered easily. Yells at Finn for the right tape, when all she had to say was yellow tape.

Dude that's a funny great moment... I think you just hate woman ;) :lol

Kidding but I like that scene.. I have no issue with it at all..

And she is a Palps so there will be some anger in her... See it was all planed out ;) ;) ;) ;)

- Rey knowing everything is also a joke. Galaxy as big as it is, but she knows every last detail about Luke and Han, it?s like she is only there to remind the audience.

Why not.. Luke and Han are bound to be legends in the galaxy.. I mean she lived in a fallen At At and scavenged Star Destroyers.. The Galaxy is big but that was the War of Wars and she was not that far removed from the time frame..

IMO that is again your hate taking over.

A more legit complaint is that she can Speak Wookie an Talk to droids.. I really hate that.. Still do actually :)

- The entire Rathar/Guavian scene is pointless. Just thrown in there so Rey can save the day.

I like the scene fine.. At least the last time I watched it.. I was not a fan the first time.. But I did not have an issue with Rey saving the day.. I love that she dont take credit for it.

- It?s really annoying how Rey knows how to do literally everything.

Yeah I agree but as stated before.. For different reasons.

- Han goes through all this growth in the OT, then goes right back to smuggling and turns his back on everyone he knew and loved. JOKE

I think you know why I disagree with you here with the whole loss of a son and what it does to people.. But I am not gonna change your mind there.. I agreed the first time I watched it.. I felt the same way.. But I came to realize I was wrong about that even before I saw TROS.

- Han forgets how to fly his own ship, Rey has to remind him. Han doesn?t know how to fix his ship, Rey as to do it.

Yep kinda annoying. But it was put there to show why Han might like and respect her.. But another example of her knowing everything.

I couldn't stomach anymore.

Dude of you can sit through AOTC you should be able to stomach anything :lol

The very little good...

- Opening is good. Nothingness of space, ship flies, music hits, classic Star Wars.

Meh.. Its ok.. That reminds me of something else I hate.. The opening theme.. The big blast when the SW title hits.. Its different then any other film in the series.. Its played different.. I hate it.. Its quieter.. Almost sounds like some instruments are missing.

- New force powers being shown is cool. Stopping and holding a blaster bolt is awesome.

Yep

- The Marvel styled humor, ?so who talks first,? is awful. It does not belong in a Star Wars movie.

I thought this was the kinda good section.. You already complained about the humor :)

- Everything about Rey up until she meets BB-8 is wonderful. For the first time, it felt like I was watching a Star Wars movie. Great music, great cinematography, new speeder design, shows what she does, how she survives, her dreams to get off the planet.

First time viewing.. I thought Rey was great up until the Maz Cantina scene... I just checked out after that.. I could not get into it.. I had issues with all the Mary Sue stuff and some of the other things you complained about..

With TROS in the mix it changed most of that for me.. Plus a better understanding of why and how Kylo would loose to her but you dont like TROS so none of that will help you.

- The idea of a Stormtrooper contemplating his life is great. Shame they never followed through and screwed Finn/John.
yep.. Wasted opportunity for sure.. I still like him in TROS but that has more to do with Finn as a likable character and not where his story took him.

- Finn/Poe scenes were great. Again felt like a Star Wars movie, great chemistry.

Its funny that you hate all of TROS as much as you do.. it was their chemistry that helped me enjoy it so much and made me feel like it was a SW movie.. I think all the main actors are pretty solid with the chemistry they all share.

Score so far: 3/10. If I watched the rest, probably a 1.5/10.

First time viewing I would have gave the first hour a 7 out of 10.. The 2nd hour brought the film down to a 5 out of 10.

Now after having the full story.. I give it a 7 out of 10.

Tfa is the best installment in the st pt lovers can **** on it all they want but it was a way better made movie even with it being a retread then all of the pt except for sith and even that?s debatable

I think all the ST are better made movies then the PT :lol

I still hate the look and TV feel of TFA. I just really like the characters now and it is the driving force of those films for me.

Ah yes. SW has generally been pretty bloodless given the amount of death and destruction, but the heat from a blaster bolt or energy blade would likely cauterize -- and barring a couple of examples it seems they generally do just that. I think Han had blood on his hands after tending Leia's wound in ROTJ, Ponda bled, maybe the Wampa in one of the versions of ESB(?) ... and Finn's buddy in TFA.

As illogical and inconsistent as it is, that's pretty much the one iconic image from the ST that sticks with me, but they really stuck it to that character. Ah well.

This should have been Tarkins death:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jake loyd wasnt the main problem with the pt it was HC acting in atoc. He should never been cast in that role he didnt have the acting chops at that time to handle that role. He was way better in sith but thats not saying much. Its a shame too because he turned into a good actor he was just to young- for good hc acting watch the movie Awake- if only he had that same acting experience under his belt for atoc- he is not a bad actor just poorly cast and was set up to fail because he was in way over his head

It was Anakin as a character period.. He was not likable.. Jake Loyd was far more likable as Anakin then Hayden ever was..

Like I said before.. If Anakin was not the the guy we knew would become Vader nobody would care about his character at all.

And he is poorly acted in all three films.. But I give Jake a pass due to his age.

Hayden in Clones and mush of ROTS is pretty awful. "You will not take her from me" Ugh! Its just cringe.

But I don't blame Hayden.. he had and has put in good performances before / during / and after the PT. It was GL willingness to go with the first take.

But i think I could handle that bad acting if I ever felt like he was an interesting / likable character. For me he just was not. They tried to make up for that in the beginning of ROTS with the first 30 min.. But it felt more Jarring then anything else.. TCW really saved the Anakin character.. Its the single biggest reason I can find enjoyment out of the PT.

Padme was a failed character also and NP is a good actress but she was not written well and she was not very interesting as a character. She was completely wasted in ROTS.. They should have left her deleted scenes in.. The fact she was a major factor in the start of the rebellion would have been the most interesting thing for her as a character.. Instead she is just.. Well Boring. GL needed to nail Anakin / Padme / Obi Wan and their relationship with each other.. But he missed the mark on all of that IMO.

But the films are nice to look at in all their CGI glory and seeing GL imagination be completely let loose.. For better or worse :lol

:lol

I agree, i mean george made good actors Like NP and SJ look bad so its understandable he made a completey inexperienced actor look laughably terrible.

I made mention that Hayden had put in good performances before the PT.. But you are right.. He was still inexperienced.. The was his first big leading role and GL let him down.

Hayden single handily ruined the tuskan raider rescue scene it was so bad, instead of feeling the weight of the moment all you felt was laughter like an snl skit

Ah man.. I dont mind that scene.. His mom is awful though.

or when he sits there crying about how obi wan is holding him back the acting is so terrible, it completely rips you out of the moment. His acting and line delivery was so bad throughout most of atoc that i felt uncomfortable watching that crap, it got even worse when they start rolling around the fields of naboo, saying things nobody thats actually in love says to each other. It didnt help that NP seemed like she was utterly repulsed by HC as a person, actor, his bad breath his bad acting whatever- so all the chemistry or lack there of felt forced as ****

:lol Man you are more brutal to the PT the I have ever been (Not true :lol )

I am surprised you give him a pass in ROTS.. He is better in it then AOTC but still has many poorly delivered lines.

I dont blame her HC came off creepy as **** in atoc esp the way he looked at her most of the time, but again thats all on his very limited acting ability

Again I blame GL... He should have looked at that and said.. "Lets try this again... But this time less creepy" :lol

This should have been Tarkins death:

giphy.gif

:lol

Thats what should have happened to every Stormtrooper when they got shot.

Hayden had an extremely difficult job - both due to having a crap director and also because he had to be a young version of Darth Vader before he got the suit and the helmet. How do you do that? How do you blend the character from ROTS to ANH convincingly? I don't think he managed it but I don't think it's his fault really.

I think he somewhat tried to mimic James Earl Jones' voice and speech pattern - particularly in ROTS - I don't blame him for doing this. I might also have thought it necessary. Unfortunately it came across unnatural and wooden, what can ye do.

There, I've defended an aspect of the PT.

Yep.. I can deal with most of it though... The fact there is another Death Star but "Bigger" drives me crazy.. Let it be anything but another Death Star :lol

Yeah, for me this was the biggest flaw in TFA. And it wasn't even a Death Star as it was built on the surface of that planet, so its use/availability would be subject to relative planetary movement and rotation - i.e., roughly half of the time Starkiller Base would be facing the wrong direction relative to any New Republic targets that the First Order wanted to destroy. Same goes for its position relative to the sun that it drains energy from to power up. Granted it could still take out its targets within TBD hours (IDK how long a day is on that planet lol), but it's definitely not a quick strike weapon. I guess Neil Degrasse Tyson was unavailable to consult the day they thought it up... :slap

Yeah, for me this was the biggest flaw in TFA. And it wasn't even a Death Star as it was built on the surface of that planet, so its use/availability would be subject to relative planetary movement and rotation - i.e., roughly half of the time Starkiller Base would be facing the wrong direction relative to any New Republic targets that the First Order wanted to destroy. Same goes for its position relative to the sun that it drains energy from to power up. Granted it could still take out its targets within TBD hours (IDK how long a day is on that planet lol), but it's definitely not a quick strike weapon. I guess Neil Degrasse Tyson was unavailable to consult the day they thought it up... :slap

I hated everything about that weapon.

Star Wars plays fast and loose with physics but that jumped the space shark fully and completely. NOTHING about it made any sense at all. That was JK Rowling level cosmology. It just works because MAGIC.

That actually was addressed in the film by showing planet seeking lasers that could change direction mid-air. ;)

Back