Star Wars Celebration V: August 12-15, 2010. Orlando, FL

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I thought. Even if you have to wait in a line that goes out a door into the elements, you'll survive. It's not Hell. :devil

no it's not hell.............hell is just around the corner........:D

Thinking about driving down from Michigan----can I pick up some freaks on the way?

I'm going to do everything I can to go but if this house deal goes through, I might not be able to afford it. It's about a 20+hr drive from NJ which is fine by me...

Since its in Orlando I might go. Tickets go on sale 5 days before SDCC's 1 day passes.... Which mean if I want to go, I'll have to get tickets later on.

And Florida isnt that hot. lol

I'm booked at the Rosen Centre - right across the street from the conventions center. Got my room for $120 a night. Today, they jacked up the rate to $170 a night. That didn't take them long.

They're not the only ones too. Read over at 'Scum that the Red Roof Inn nearby went from $50 to $95 a night already.

No shocker. These hotels smell $$$$ and the word it out already down there for sure. Glad I got mine when I did. I didn't want to wait for the official celebration site to offer their "discounted" blocks of rooms in a month or two. I bet I still got as good if not a better deal by booking my tickets early. Plus there's no penalty to change or cancel pretty much right up to the time. I'd wager there'll be a penalty if you go through the official site and change/cancel.

I'm booked at the Rosen Centre - right across the street from the conventions center. Got my room for $120 a night. Today, they jacked up the rate to $170 a night. That didn't take them long.

They're not the only ones too. Read over at 'Scum that the Red Roof Inn nearby went from $50 to $95 a night already.

No shocker. These hotels smell $$$$ and the word it out already down there for sure. Glad I got mine when I did. I didn't want to wait for the official celebration site to offer their "discounted" blocks of rooms in a month or two. I bet I still got as good if not a better deal by booking my tickets early. Plus there's no penalty to change or cancel pretty much right up to the time. I'd wager there'll be a penalty if you go through the official site and change/cancel.

Same thing happen for Megacon 2010. I say a hotel go from $55 a night to $116! I was shocked. Hotels have been going crazy.

Who did you book with?

Last edited:
I have been to every celebration (minus the first), and have traveled far and wide to attend these things. This is the most bone-headed location yet. :banghead

Gee, thanks Lucasfilm. Thanks for choosing the hottest month of the year in one of the most sweltering places in the country. Florida in August is BRUTAL. I nearly fainted from the heat and humidity when my wife and I were foolish enough to go to Disney in August years ago. Now imagine standing in lines for hours and hours while the pungent odor of costumed fanboys fills your lungs during an oppressive heatwave. I hope they have the paramedics on hand 24/7. :mad: I'm going to need some serious convincing for this. My excitement level is in the negatives.

images-1.jpg

Yeah. You're so hysterical.

What I left out of my original post was that my wife actually DID faint due to the intense heat, almost landing us in a hospital during our vacation. We had quite the scare, and vowed to avoid Florida in August again if we could help it. Not all people are accustomed to oppressive climates, and some have very REAL medical issues, so you can either understand my viewpoint or simply ignore my post (rather than posting insulting douchy garbage). Some people's bodies simply cannot adjust to intense heat and humidity.

What I left out of my original post was that my wife actually DID faint due to the intense heat, almost landing us in a hospital during our vacation. We had quite the scare, and vowed to avoid Florida in August again if we could help it. Not all people are accustomed to oppressive climates, and some have very REAL medical issues, so you can either understand my viewpoint or simply ignore my post (rather than posting insulting douchy garbage). Some people's bodies simply cannot adjust to intense heat and humidity.

Could you stop complaining. Your either going to the show or not. Plain and simple. And what the hell is oppressive climates??? You are friggin ridiculous. hairlesswookiee was right:

images-1.jpg

Sounds like you weren't properly hydrating yourselves. You're right heatstroke is a serious condition. That's why you should've thought about drinking more fluids while acclimating to the oppressive climates.

I would like to continue making fun of people whining about the heat, but its cold here today and I'm whining about the cold. Karma's a ?????.

It's really not that bad. I know I live here and I'm used to it, but I've been places that are hotter and just as humid. You might spend an hour waiting to get inside, but considering you'll be inside the rest of the time you can just chill at a table and check out the hot girls in the Slave Leia costumes.

Sounds like you weren't properly hydrating yourselves. You're right heatstroke is a serious condition. That's why you should've thought about drinking more fluids while acclimating to the oppressive climates.

I agree. Its like going into a cold climate without wearing a jacket and then complain about getting sick.

Come on guys, I think you're being a little too hard on him. Florida's climate in August is a concern to many of us. I don't think it'll be a major issue for Celebration by itself, since it's all indoors, but a lot of people (me included) are going to want to also go to someplace like Disney, and I can picture that being pretty uncomfortable.

Sorry to disappoint you both, but we were actually fairly well hydrated. I think we went through two bottled waters each that morning. When the local paramedic came, he told us we picked the "worst time of year to visit FL" and he mentioned he had seen numerous people faint or worse just that morning alone (not limited to tourists). He hoped we wouldn't formulate our opinions of the state based on the notoriously bad August weather. We have no problems with Florida as a whole, so this seemingly "state pride" attack on me from you locals is a bit ridiculous.

Oh, and just for you, dear rude daikkenaurora, since you asked:

op‧pres‧sive
1. unreasonably burdensome or severe
2. weather that is oppressive is unpleasantly or dangerously hot

cli·mate
The meteorological conditions, including temperature, precipitation, and wind, that characteristically prevail in a particular region.

"In Florida, more people die from excessive heat than from lightning. The human body temperature rises dangerously when hot days combine with high relative humidity, because perspiration cannot evaporate and cool the body."

https://goflorida.about.com/od/floridaweather/ss/weather_3.htm

So yes, Florida in the summer months is an oppressive climate to some. I completely respect that those more accustomed to the intense weather are more tolerable of said heat and humidity. However, your intolerance of others views and experiences is rude and uncalled for. Forgive me for expressing a negative opinion on the chosen location for an event that I really was looking forward to, due to some very real and scary memories.

Anyway, I'm through with this discussion and the higher-than-thou attitudes on display in this thread. I pray you never have to hold a loved one in your arms, hoping they come to, while fighting off massive dizziness yourself. It's no picnic.

Come on guys, I think you're being a little too hard on him. Florida's climate in August is a concern to many of us. I don't think it'll be a major issue for Celebration by itself, since it's all indoors, but a lot of people (me included) are going to want to also go to someplace like Disney, and I can picture that being pretty uncomfortable.

Yep, Disney is uncomfortable. All those people with little hands trying to steal your wallet. lol And we arent being hard on him. Being aware of the climate of where you are going is part of the trip. I live in florida and if I go to North Dakota during December, I'm going to check the weather and dress accordingly. ITS COMMON SENSE! You cant blame Florida for what happened to you because if you do then just :banghead

op‧pres‧sive
1. unreasonably burdensome or severe

cli·mate
The meteorological conditions, including temperature, precipitation, and wind, that characteristically prevail in a particular region.

Then you can say the same for cold weather cant you???? It can be unreasonable, burdensome or severe.

And the person being rude is you. End of discussion.

Yeah its uncomfortable. But not uncomfortable enough to complain about. After all if it were held somewhere else you wouldn't be going to Disney anyway.

Crasis, I'm sorry for your experience and if any of my posts felt like an attack to you. I don't think you'll have to worry about CV though since its going to be indoors.

Back