1/6 Star wars 1/6 SDCC 2019 Speculation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My prognostication for the SW display at SDCC:

On display

Crait Luke
Endor Luke
RotJ Deluxe Luke with windswept hair
BG Leia
Qui-Gon
AotC Yoda
Dooku
Darth Maul
Commander Cody
Jango Fett
Krennic

Possible Reveals

Bespin Han
Bespin Lando
AotC Padme (arena outfit)
RotJ Vader
Rough prototype of TRoS Rey
Rough prototype of TRoS Kylo

Do you really want a Poe figure?

Pilot outfit - definitely. And... okay... I'm a huge OI fan and like the design.

It's like Krennic - I didn't find a need for other RO figs, but Krennic: super cool outfit, huge fan of the actor (partly due to "Bloodline" pre-RO.)

I have no time for the PT (don't even have the energy to argue about it) but there are a number of PT figs I would get - just because the designs are cool. Yet I have zero interest in the current crop (Obi, Dooku, Ani etc.) including Maul.

:exactly: What the heck happened to that figure?

Same thing that has happened to a ton of missing/murdered prototypes. If Robert Stack were still around they could run an entire season of Unsolved Mysteries about these figures, with the nerd police paying regular visits to the residence of Howard Chan.

Pilot outfit - definitely. And... okay... I'm a huge OI fan and like the design.

It's like Krennic - I didn't find a need for other RO figs, but Krennic: super cool outfit, huge fan of the actor (partly due to "Bloodline" pre-RO.)

I have no time for the PT (don't even have the energy to argue about it) but there are a number of PT figs I would get - just because the designs are cool. Yet I have zero interest in the current crop (Obi, Dooku, Ani etc.) including Maul.

We don’t seem to agree on much, but I’m generally with you on the PT. I want to like them because I love Star Wars, but I have trouble getting through them because the writing, storytelling, and acting are so bad. The biggest saving graces for me are Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmid, and Frank Oz. But overall, I appreciate them for the backstory leading to the OT.

For me, the designs remain the true stand-out of the PT.

It's interesting because the ST is nearly opposite of the PT. It shows you what you get Star Wars-wise with good actors and good acting in a world devoid of even the simplest of interesting designs. At first, the quality of the storytelling seemed to win (in TFA), but over time you begin to realize that Star Wars is nothing without its amazing designs just as much or more than with miserable acting (the PT).

It's also possible we mostly appreciate PT designs because they were still being overseen by Lucas himself so there's a consonant feeling of attachment knowing this was dreamt up from the same source/thinker.

So, there's bound to be disconnect when the property is in different hands. Which is odd considering Gareth Edwards pretty much got Rogue One spot on in feeling like a delineation of the OT.

It's also possible we mostly appreciate PT designs because they were still being overseen by Lucas himself so there's a consonant feeling of attachment knowing this was dreamt up from the same source/thinker.

So, there's bound to be disconnect when the property is in different hands. Which is odd considering Gareth Edwards pretty much got Rogue One spot on in feeling like a delineation of the OT.

True.

And your last point about Gareth demonstrates that its possible to carry the vision into new territory while still maintaining harmony with the universe.

And your last point about Gareth demonstrates that its possible to carry the vision into new territory while still maintaining harmony with the universe.

Spot on. Just shows how not having a true Star Wars fan in charge of the show drives in the totally different direction. (KK).

However with that said it seems they have learnt their lesson and are going with what works in The Mandalorian and Cassian. The closest to Rogue One and the OT that you can get.

I just hope they don't F up the Old Republic stuff which is on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on. Just shows how not having a true Star Wars fan in charge of the show drives in the totally different direction. (KK).

However with that said it seems they have learnt their lesson and are going with what works in The Mandalorian and Cassian. The closest to Rogue One and the OT that you can get.

I just hope they don't F up the Old Republic stuff which is on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone has been following the additional canon (comics, shows, books etc.) it does seem like they’ve been setting up for the Old Republic for a while; and it seems to have been increasing recently. I just want to see bad*** Jedi and Sith, especially Darth Bane and Revan. But I am also uncontrollably excited for the Mandalorian lol. The Cassian series should be awesome too, I wonder if that’s our best chance for a live action Ahsoka since they’re both Fulcrum.

Yeah, I'm certain KK's strengths are not visionary Star Wars designs; I doubt she sits at home dreaming of a galaxy far, far away.

I do believe she is concerned with social issues, diversity, women's equality, democratic inclusiveness and all the other things we all are concerned about... but she does not have the good sense to either separate that from our fantasy world OR incorporate them in a clever yet subtle fashion.

Gareth Edwards passionately loves Star Wars, and in multiple interviews he also constantly expresses huge admiration for George Lucas.

Pretty much those are the essential factors that contributed to the success of Rogue One.. "love , passion and respect" which are cleary lacking from both JJA and Ruin Johnson.

Yeah, I'm certain KK's strengths are not visionary Star Wars designs; I doubt she sits at home dreaming of a galaxy far, far away.

I do believe she is concerned with social issues, diversity, women's equality, democratic inclusiveness and all the other things we all are concerned about... but she does not have the good sense to either separate that from our fantasy world OR incorporate them in a clever yet subtle fashion.

I’d prefer separate. I’m just getting sick of politics leaking into EVERY. SINGLE. THING. It ruins the escape. No matter how subtle, political references will always be viewed as propaganda.

I'm also for separation. Escapist fair should be just that, especially now.

I'm not opposed to clever insinuation. In fact, in the long run, it can add a depth of intelligence that lifts entertainment into 'art' when done correctly. But its so rarely done correctly.

I'm also for separation. Escapist fair should be just that, especially now.

I'm not opposed to clever insinuation. In fact, in the long run, it can add a depth of intelligence that lifts entertainment into 'art' when done correctly. But its so rarely done correctly.

Agreed. I think the key takeaway is “done correctly.” Which is rare like you said. The times it has been done correctly has given an added depth to said material, but I can maybe count on one hand well executed and clever insinuation in my experience.

This is probably the most reasonable discussion about the state of SW I have read. Pretty obvious that SW is spinning in place. The characters are not interesting while there is no "world building". Continual use of head slapping desert planets, starships running out of fuel and little purposeful heroic action. Where is the intelligence in SW? Way to kill the golden goose Disney. :thud:

Gareth Edwards passionately loves Star Wars, and in multiple interviews he also constantly expresses huge admiration for George Lucas.

Pretty much those are the essential factors that contributed to the success of Rogue One.. "love , passion and respect" which are cleary lacking from both JJA and Ruin Johnson.

I think JJ had those qualities but he just played it a little too safe on TFA for many fans. I personally thought he did a good job of including old and new and probably would have ramped it up in Ep. 8. RJ on the other hand pretty much dumped all over love, passion and respect for SW in my eyes.

Back