SSC TPM Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awww. Someone's got an ickle widdle grudge against me for my opinion. :violin

:lol

Rorywank :love Pixletwit

No, not at all. No ickle winkle anything?
You have acted like a complete *** towards me for quite a while.
Therefore in my opinion you are indeed a laughable ***?
Pretty simple?

focusOnFamily.jpg

Just read Crawford's take on this figure...

Well, to each their own, I guess. I like this figure. A lot.

Are there issues? Sure...and Michael (along with many in here) has pointed them out. For me, the sculpt works really well. I do prefer the "standard" one more than the expressive one, but that's just a matter of taste. Yes, the ponytail paint-app thing is weird, but my figure spends the majority of it's display time facing forward so...I can live with it. The rest of the paint apps look pretty good to me...

I don't mind reviews that point out specific flaws and issues, but I sure wish folks would dial back the "it's not Enterbay/Hot Toys" rhetoric a bit...while those companies are doing some good work, they have their fair share of issues too.

While we hear about the "bad" aspects over and over again, it's be helpful to point out the good too....and on this figure, there is plenty.

From the excellent selection of well-rendered hands (each containing a wrist-peg) to the cool execution of the boots (which looks good and adds some function) to the extremely well-done outfit, there's a lot to like. The cloak is really a fine piece of work...from the fabric choice (has one of these cloaks ever hung on the figure so naturally and looked so good?) and the color...it's simply one of the best cloaks for a Jedi that Sideshow has done. I don't have a problem dealing with the wire either....

Sideshow's cut-n-sew folks have been on fire with the last string of releases....

I've been able to do a basic futz on this figure and get it looking pretty damned good to me...

Just had to throw a little counter-balance back into the discussion here...

Just read Crawford's take on this figure...

Well, to each their own, I guess. I like this figure. A lot.

Are there issues? Sure...and Michael (along with many in here) has pointed them out. For me, the sculpt works really well. I do prefer the "standard" one more than the expressive one, but that's just a matter of taste. Yes, the ponytail paint-app thing is weird, but my figure spends the majority of it's display time facing forward so...I can live with it. The rest of the paint apps look pretty good to me...

I don't mind reviews that point out specific flaws and issues, but I sure wish folks would dial back the "it's not Enterbay/Hot Toys" rhetoric a bit...while those companies are doing some good work, they have their fair share of issues too.

While we hear about the "bad" aspects over and over again, it's be helpful to point out the good too....and on this figure, there is plenty.

From the excellent selection of well-rendered hands (each containing a wrist-peg) to the cool execution of the boots (which looks good and adds some function) to the extremely well-done outfit, there's a lot to like. The cloak is really a fine piece of work...from the fabric choice (has one of these cloaks ever hung on the figure so naturally and looked so good?) and the color...it's simply one of the best cloaks for a Jedi that Sideshow has done. I don't have a problem dealing with the wire either....

Sideshow's cut-n-sew folks have been on fire with the last string of releases....

I've been able to do a basic futz on this figure and get it looking pretty damned good to me...

Just had to throw a little counter-balance back into the discussion here...

:goodpost:

No, not at all. No ickle winkle anything?
You have acted like a complete *** towards me for quite a while.
Therefore in my opinion you are indeed a laughable ***?
Pretty simple?

Yet you took the time to respond. I offer an olive branch and you expose your douchey side again.

Your supposed custom skills are what I find laughable. You dunk a figures clothes in dirty water and take a picture of it in natural lighting with an $800 camera. Check your ego at the door. If you can't handle my opinion, place me on ignore. I promise to always remind myself what an *** I am while you are in a thread somewhere pissing your pants with chicken little warblings, trying to get people to cancel a figure. Then when the sky doesn't actaully fall I'll be even more of an *** while you backpedal your way out. :lol

Okey dokey ickle widdle rorywank? :moon

Last edited:
Why do I get the feeling if sideshow put critics in their workforce we'd get a better figure. :lol

Well...as usual...a Sideshow figure release reaction is never lukewarm in here...:lol ....

I like this figure...is it perfect? No...but depending on one's point of view, not one figure we see, regardless of the company and the cost, is ever perfect.

I'm all for discussing merits and flaws, but it's always good to come down to Earth and just ask..."Do I like it?" "Does it look good how I'm choosing to display/photograph it"? My answer is yes on both those basic questions with this one.

I always appreciate seeing how other folks choose to "augment" or totally change and modify a figure...there is some real talent in here to be sure. I really like seeing the "modify"-type threads where most of the , ahem, "intense" reaction takes place and then folks actually do something about it. I'm more of the "take it out of the box, futz it's outfit and accessories" kind of collector...unless it's actually flawed from manufacturing or damaged from shipping, it is what it is....all part of this "fun" hobby....

Do I have a few "issues" with some of the choices that were made in rendering this figure? Sure...but nothing that makes me want to ship it back or leave it in the box....there's enough here to enjoy...and in many ways, it's indeed a step forward for Sideshow.

I'll keep visiting the "modify" threads to see what the local talent is doing to this one...but he's fine the way he is for me....I'm glad to, at long last, to have Sideshow's 1:6 scale take on this Padawan displayed with his Master...

TPM-KENOBI-13_zpsbca0cbdf.jpg

TPM-KENOBI-16_zps30e69c60.jpg

I'm a little late to the game in looking at this...but thanks for putting these two together...it only seems logical. Figure looks pretty good - but here's my biggest gripe (and I know I'll get flak for it) but:
SST Obi-Wan $150

and I looked up my order of Qui-Gon:
Star Wars 12-inch Figures Qui-Gon Jinn - Sideshow Exclusive
Order Subtotal: $49.99

Holy cow...I know Q-G was 7 years ago but was that upgrade worth $100!!!

and with Wolf and Malgus prices creeping up too....ouch

Absolutely awesome... Deserves to be quoted and shown once more. :clap:clap:clap

awesome modifications...but it looks just great like you have it now...doesn't look like it needs any more adjustments!

Woulda been great if it came out of the box like this - thanks for sharing!

Absolutely awesome... Deserves to be quoted and shown once more. :clap:clap:clap

awesome modifications...but it looks just great like you have it now...doesn't look like it needs any more adjustments!

Woulda been great if it came out of the box like this - thanks for sharing!

So I put this together with various body parts. The neck works pretty well now i think, as do the extended legs. Recolored the fabric and put some slightly modded Episode 2 OBI bits on him. I will try to fix up the heads next.. WIP.
1-97_zpsdfffbc1e.jpg

oops meant to quote this

Holy cow...I know Q-G was 7 years ago but was that upgrade worth $100!!!

I'd say YES if after 7 years, SSC was able to make the Padawan Obi-Wan look LEAST 75% as good as last year's HT Bespin Luke (okay, likeness to some is still questionable, but the over-all quality, fine-ness of hair and face and of course the paint app at least), and if their bodies are TTM quality in terms of posing capabilities without the rubbery joint feel. Sadly, IMO, it's not even half :(

EDIT: Come to think of it -- I just realized that this shares the same price as the DX07, technically. DX07 goes for $300 (got mine for $240-ish), and in the box we have 2 complete figures and a couple sets of accessories, and lots of figure stands.

The neck is barely noticeable in hand, so all you need to do to do something about it, is have it in person. And of it still bothers you, just futz the robe, and it vanishes completely.

I'd say YES if after 7 years, SSC was able to make the Padawan Obi-Wan look LEAST 75% as good as last year's HT Bespin Luke (okay, likeness to some is still questionable, but the over-all quality, fine-ness of hair and face and of course the paint app at least), and if their bodies are TTM quality in terms of posing capabilities without the rubbery joint feel. Sadly, IMO, it's not even half :(

EDIT: Come to think of it -- I just realized that this shares the same price as the DX07, technically. DX07 goes for $300 (got mine for $240-ish), and in the box we have 2 complete figures and a couple sets of accessories, and lots of figure stands.

I personally think, and it's just me, that for $150, you should not get a plastic hasbro belt. Thats just me.

Back