SSC The Joker 1/6th Scale figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pro is the body that was used for their boba fett figures right? I just find the body's articulations awkard. Thats why you see most people swap the body with the HT TT slim, which really improves the figure by a lot, IMO.

Agreed,
The TTM 22 will be perfect for this figures :clap

No it won't. Its too short. Joker is actually quite tall in the comics. Normally taller than Batman. Slim yeah, but not short like HT's slim is.

he's something like over 6'4" in the comics, but the figure is the same old 12" like all the rest. still, i agree ht slim is too short. but regular would work.

I'd take those concept sketches with a grain of salt. You see Arkham Batman there too but when SS was asked if an Arkham version was coming, they said no, look to hot toys for that.

That's what I've been telling people from day 1. Those are just concept art. Its stuff they could do. But if there were going to make all of those, I'd have Batman and Superman as every other figure.

The video they released this last SDCC shows the two head idea (including Joker with trench coat so we know they are following that one actually).

he's something like over 6'4" in the comics, but the figure is the same old 12" like all the rest. still, i agree ht slim is too short. but regular would work.

Yup, The Joker is 6'5" :) However, sometimes he is about an inch shorter than Batman, and Batman is always 6'2'. I don't about the game version...but the Joker is very tall...

I do love the looks of this figure and all it comes with. I'm just not yet sold on the price based on my experience with othe SS 1/6 figures.

Are those of you who also buy HT and have other SS figures convinced this line will be of compareable quality to EB and HT and better than current SS figures?

I do love the looks of this figure and all it comes with. I'm just not yet sold on the price based on my experience with othe SS 1/6 figures.

Are those of you who also buy HT and have other SS figures convinced this line will be of compareable quality to EB and HT and better than current SS figures?

QC will be FAR better than Enterbay for sure!

Yeah, SSC usually reserves the shoddy QC for its statues, not figures. Having said that, paint apps on their 1/6 figures are hit-and-miss. They seem better now than they used to be. But in terms of whether or not the figures feel like they are high "quality" in hand, I don't think SSC can touch HT.

QC will be FAR better than Enterbay for sure!

Yeah, SSC usually reserves the shoddy QC for its statues, not figures. Having said that, paint apps on their 1/6 figures are hit-and-miss. They seem better now than they used to be. But in terms of whether or not the figures feel like they are high "quality" in hand, I don't think SSC can touch HT.

Thanks for the imput. Those reasons are why I am so hesitant to jump on board.

Well, based on SSC's Star Wars bounty hunter figures, which have creeped up into the high end of the price range for SSC 1/6 figures, I'd have to say you'll have no worries. I own IG-88 which is just an amazing all-around figure, I honestly don't think HT could have done any better. I personally love the SSC Boba Fett, there are one or two tweaks I'd make (some other Star Wars collectors feel differently, your mileage may vary) but I feel like I got my money's worth from that figure. Bossk is getting rave reviews (I'm impatiently waiting for mine to arrive in the mail before I can say firsthand); the term "figure of the year" has been tossed out there for the lizard, though! If the Chinese tailors can get the costume right, I think fans will be talking fondly about this figure for quite some time!

Thanks for the imput. Those reasons are why I am so hesitant to jump on board.

Its not like HT can do anymore of a realistic white skin tone, so really HT's paint wouldn't be any better and lets face it, that's what most people feel HT has over Sideshow - just better paint apps. The sculpts are just as top notch.

Its not like HT can do anymore of a realistic white skin tone, so really HT's paint wouldn't be any better and lets face it, that's what most people feel HT has over Sideshow - just better paint apps. The sculpts are just as top notch.
HT also has it over SSC in terms of production clothing quality (prototypes don't always match production with SSC, though they usually are pretty close with HT), which is a factor for me, and they have the superior base bodies. SSC does accessories pretty well. In terms of paint, I think Joker and this line in general is better suited to some of Sideshow's strengths because they may be able to get away with less realistic paint apps. SSC seems to do a fine job with all the helmeted Star Wars guys that don't need that kind of nuance. But even with Joker, you'll probably get the damn doll dot :lol

And a great sculpt is important of course (I think Trevor Grove is the best damn sculptor in existence, and he does SSC), but without great paint you don't get to see the sculpt's potential. Look no further than this before and after from Skiman's blog:

https://skiman-workshop.blogspot.com/2012/04/gi-joe-breaker-sideshow-repaint_26.html

I think the figure looks great but when it comes to body proportions and height no one has been more accurate than Medicom's Jim Lee Joker from Hush. But, to be fair, the Medicom Joker is pretty much the only 1/6 scale comic book version of the Clown Prince of Crime. The Medi Jim Lee Batman is actually taller than any 1/6 Batman Hot Toys has done and the Medi Joker is even taller than him. I am definitely getting the Sideshow Joker and if I feel the need to swap bodies it will be with the Medi Joker.

I am very interested to see the Sideshow super-hero body. I have never been impressed by the Pro body, I still believe the body it's based on the Volks Neo Guy still looks better and is of a higher quality. However I really hope SSC's R&D department brings their A game for Superman and Batman.

It's not as bad as Liefeld's Captain Amanbewbs:
cap.jpeg

Yeah, but Liefeld is regularly panned. Lee and McFarlane have a ton of fan boys. Lee and McFarlane bite the big one and their art has always sucked.

BB

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but Liefeld is regularly panned. Lee and McFarlane have a ton of fan boys. Lee and McFarlane bite the big one and their art has always sucked.

BB

I know this is OT but...

A lot of artists working for comics today got into comics and dreamed of working in comics because of Jim's work, me included. His work was too dynamic and pretty to the eyes of YOUNG fans, and those who aspired to be like him and eventually became pro artists started as copycats of his work. But as they mature, they of course have noticed Jim's weaknesses, that his faces are generic, etc, and they worked on it giving way to new styles -- a lot of them better styles -- that actually emerged from Jim's.

Todd's anatomy always sucked. Especially un-masked people. But his storytelling's always top-notch. There was an issue of GI Joe drawn by Todd was before he became popular, that was not published. Can't recall what exactly happened but if you compare his pages to the one drawn by another artist--the one that was actually printed -- Todd's panels were more cinematic. Artists who worked with him, like Greg Capullo, always mentioned how much they've learned from Todd in terms of storytelling, which is just as important as -- if not more important than-- pretty linework.

Anyway, this baby just got up for PO at our local dealer. Can't wait to get off the house and visit the shop to pay downpayment :)

Last edited by a moderator:
remind me again HOW Liefeld got as popular as he did? Were the editors back then blind? What is the @*#) :slap

I guess it helped that he was drawing hot properties then. Mutants were bigger than Avengers then. And it helped that the new characters he designed became fan-favorites as well, including Shatterstar, Cable, and Deadpool.

I just don't like him bragging that Deadpool is HIS creation. Yes he designed the look, but the "merc with the mouth" characterization that came to be loved by many was developed overtime by some writers, not by him.

Back