SSC Jack Burton Big Trouble in Little China Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1/6 market has collapsed, duh.

That still chaps my ass. Whoever told PCS that must not have any knowledge of the 1/6 market. Last I checked, offerings are coming out left and right from an array of companies.

Maybe what they meant was, "it's raining 1/6 figures."

I really wish they started with the thing instead of SOA... Guess that's one less company to get my money.... Fools.

I love this figure but the only way I'm gonna own this is if I win the lottery or win the giveaway. I'm gonna have to sell my car if they make other figures. This movie is to good not to have figures.

If the final product looks close to that fantastic prototype, I'd say it would be $240 well spent even for a barebones release. He looks awesome.

If it isn't and it turns out looking like crap, well, I'm sure nothing will really happen. People will rightfully cry, ***** and moan, but Sideshow is going to still keep doing their thing and will always have a customer at the ready no matter how many times they get burned.

If they can continue and improve on the Ash quality level, the price is ok. All 1/6 is overpriced by at least a third right now, but whatcha gonna do.

I have confidence in SSC. Indy was well done. BJ paint apps were really good. I think we are OK here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if that's true. Then why would Plissken be so inexpensive and chock full of accessories? SS claimed that Disney's new high price for the Star Wars licence was the reason why all of their new SW offerings were jacked up; but then HT shows that a better quality figure of the same franchise can be offered for less.

I think what it boils down to is SS suffers from being an American based company. They just can't produce as cheaply and efficiently as HT, and to add to that can't find a factory that can deliver that HT quality. Owning the factories and cranking out 15000-30000 pieces of a figure as HT does will make overhead a boatload cheaper.

But from a quality standpoint, maybe there was a factory change by SS because it seems like their last few figures are finally stepping up the ladder
Exactly. The Sideshow examples control for any other argument for SSC doing what they do. They simply can't put out HT quality at HT prices. Given that, their strategy to focus on relatively niche licenses makes a lot of sense. But the improvements in quality are very nice to see. And if the waitlist of Ash is for real and not a cheap marketing ploy, while other, crappier figures have had to be deeply discounted and collect cobwebs in their warehouses, then maybe SSC will get the message.

What's up with this Molecule 8? First time I'm hearing of them. Their site has zero information. Is there anything else to see on them aside from that chart of the licences they're holding?
No one really knows. There is a lot of excitement because they have KA Kim and produced some fantastic prototype sculpts (1/6 and other scales IMO) on their website. But totally unproven group in this domain as far as I can see. Obtaining licenses doesn't mean much.

See, so now that Molecule8 is a bust -- once again, this is likely going to be the only Jack Burton you will ever get in 1/6th.

The genius of this movie was the writer (WD Richter), who also directed Buckaroo Banzai (and clearly wrote most of it too). In fact, this story started out as a sequel to Buckaroo.

Last edited:
Makes me feel even better about this purchase!

Price is still too high, as everyone is saying, but I'm just happy to have a Burton. With Snake and Burton, I just need a MacReady now to complete my 3 favorite Kurt Russell characters.

See, so now that Molecule8 is a bust -- once again, this is likely going to be the only Jack Burton you will ever get in 1/6th.

The genius of this movie was the writer (WD Richter), who also directed Buckaroo Banzai (and clearly wrote most of it too). In fact, this story started out as a sequel to Buckaroo.

Richter, Carpenter, and Gary Goldman and David Weinstein (the guys wrote the original drafts of the screenplay for BTILC) have repeatedly said that is actually not a fact about this movie evolving out of Buckaroo Banzai vs The World Crime League.

OK, just going by what I've heard.

I always viewed that 'joke' at the end of the movie as nothing more that a James Bond gag, never took it literally. Buckaroo will return in...

Richter and Rauch totally intended to make a second movie, but they had major problems with the studio exec, and the movie bombed hard when it opened.
I used to hear the Banzai-BTILC thing all the time, too, before the internet. Totally thought it was true, myself, until I went and heard Richter give a talk a few years ago. Turns out the only real connection between the two movies is him.
This is about how the script for Big Trouble in Little China was developed. It's weird and fascinating and I totally recommend any fan of the movie read it:
https://uproxx.com/movies/big-trouble-in-little-china-oral-history/5/

This is also a pretty interesting read, about the Jack Burton character this time:
https://uproxx.com/movies/big-trouble-in-little-china-jack-burton/

Molecule8. Yesterday they were touted as the next company to hammer the nails into HT, SS and the rest of the high end action figure companies and today swept under the rug.

The movie is just flows from start to finish. A fun ride.

Is this going to have any international release or only available through Sideshow?

Richter and Rauch totally intended to make a second movie, but they had major problems with the studio exec, and the movie bombed hard when it opened.
I used to hear the Banzai-BTILC thing all the time, too, before the internet. Totally thought it was true, myself, until I went and heard Richter give a talk a few years ago. Turns out the only real connection between the two movies is him.
This is about how the script for Big Trouble in Little China was developed. It's weird and fascinating and I totally recommend any fan of the movie read it:
https://uproxx.com/movies/big-trouble-in-little-china-oral-history/5/

This is also a pretty interesting read, about the Jack Burton character this time:
https://uproxx.com/movies/big-trouble-in-little-china-jack-burton/

Excellent! Thanks for that!

Molecule8. Yesterday they were touted as the next company to hammer the nails into HT, SS and the rest of the high end action figure companies and today swept under the rug.

That's how the hammer falls. :lol

Is this going to have any international release or only available through Sideshow?

I would also like to know this. I think the sculpt is VERY poor right now. You can kinda see it's Kurt if you squint your eyes and use your imagination - but then again, it's Jack Burton. But at 240 USD - shipping + taxes, this will be about 400 USD. If the sculpt was good, like the Molecule8 sculpt, I would pay that, but for this half-assed sculpt? No way.

who's Molecule8 and they've already gone belly up? since PCS are absolutely morons i wish someone would make a MacReady! :( probably never going to happen in 1/6th.

Just placed my order! It'll probably be the only 1/6 BTiLC figure we'll ever get. I know it's light on accessories, but I feel like the floating head is pretty good.

Back