SSC Jack Burton Big Trouble in Little China Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you actually have the figure in your possession? The biggest flaw this figure has is the price. It's a good looking figure in hand,it's just not worth $240.So his score is right there.

The poster that ranted above is right. Some people you just can never make happy and they nitpick over the dumbest things. The custom heads are not better than this one at all either :lol

My LCS got it in last week and I handled it. I think it looks pretty awful in person IMO. I never preorder unless there is some exclusive item or something but glad I didn't after seeing it in person I would have been pretty upset I'd have to flip it on eBay right away.

Got mine today and have to exchange it, or more precisely: destroy it after a replacement figure arrives. The head looks fine, although it has some weird blotches on the right cheek, but the neck connector socket cup thingy (whatever you call it) was just loose, floating inside the rubber neck, making the figure into some kind of David Lynchian bobble head.

BTW: I assume the replacement figure won't be stripped bare. What's a good way to destroy figure clothes? Scissors?

My LCS got it in last week and I handled it. I think it looks pretty awful in person IMO. I never preorder unless there is some exclusive item or something but glad I didn't after seeing it in person I would have been pretty upset I'd have to flip it on eBay right away.

Sure they did....

You just bashed SS on how EVERYTHING they do sucks, but you respect them as distributor. LOL. They put out more of their own product in any given year than anyone else, and it is not even close! They have had plenty of decent offerings. Their Ash is one of my better 1/6 figures. Though oddly, there are a bunch of people on here complaining about HT Marty McFly, which I think is bang on, so, I am clearly not in step.

I still think this boils down to price. If it were $50 less for what you get, this criticism wouldn't exist.

So putting out more of their own product makes them less of a distributor?

Their product, as much of it as there maybe, is sub par to everyone else, and everyone else knows it too.

Ash, as one of their better figures still suffers from a cartoonish sculpt sub par paint to other figures in the same category and sub par quality overall yet still demands the price that other, not to mention overseas/import dealers do.

They started the 1/6 market but hot toys revolutionized it. I’ll always recognize sideshow for their value to the hobby but they can’t produce figures anymore unless they re evaluate their prices.

And even if they did it would still just piss me off that they are hoarding lisences from better companies in the way threezero does.

They should lend their lisences to hot toys and make an additional cut off the profit and stop mucking around trying but failing to make figures that are on par with them

Also anyone who actually understands the intracies of the hobby will understand what it mean to recognize sideshow as a distributor.

The Asian, British or other non American companies would have a lot harder a time moving product if they did not have a strong North American retail distributor to work with. In the way diamond distributors do , they monopolize the market as the sole distributor. Every brick and mortor or online retailer in NA needs to deal with sideshow at the wholesale level.

One could argue that this hurts the market, while it does hurt profitability for third party sellers it helps service the market overall and strengthens the demand for this kind of product by opening more doors for the collectors and smaller companies.

The fact that they manufacture a lot of their own merchandise helps strengthen their reach as a company yes, but they can stick to statues and other kind of merchandise.

Their behavior lately has baffled me. I remember when they first started shipping medicom r2 and 3po. They said they would not make their own In an effort to not cannibalize their and medicom’s profit for the medicom versions.

Fast forward until now, where they are releasing their own crappy Jedi luke to compete with the hot toy.

looks better in person for sure...not worth the asking price for what your getting. I think he should've been at $150.

image2.jpg

image1 (2).jpg

Without a doubt, pictures for this suck way worse than it is in hand. I see it like this; Asmus LotR figures aren’t nailed either, but you could’ve had a Slim Aragorn, which has the same amount accessories and what not as this, for way cheaper. I think I still paid less for full figure Saruman. The price is totally what kills it. If you’re not going to produce Hot Toys quality, don’t charge their prices. This figure is on the Threezero GoT level while charging Hot Toys Marvel/Star Wars pricing. Otherwise, yea, it’s not terrible and the sculpt is better than the custom one being shown around. At least in my opinion. But still a miss, and anoverpriced miss at that.

I tend to be on the same page as a lot of his reviews. But he's way off the mark on this one. He's way more forgiving on figures close to the same price range like the Lord of the Rings Star Ace and Asmus Toys figures, he cuts way more slack on those. Either I seriously underestimated how much people love BTILC and they're just being extra critical and had really high hopes, or people are just being unfair. IDk, I'm really pleased with it!
Amen! I received the figure today and I love it. Just needs some futzing/water treatment to the collar and such..and good to go.

Do you actually have the figure in your possession? The biggest flaw this figure has is the price. It's a good looking figure in hand,it's just not worth $240.So his score is right there.

The poster that ranted above is right. Some people you just can never make happy and they nitpick over the dumbest things. The custom heads are not better than this one at all either :lol
lol - I really didn't mean to come across as ranting, but I certainly did. I agree, the price really is the biggest issue here, not the actual figure. And I never wanted to say it, but I really do prefer the Sideshow sculpt over the Trever Grove one. I know this figure could be better with a repaint, but I'm completely happy with how it is.

Sure they did....

You just bashed SS on how EVERYTHING they do sucks, but you respect them as distributor. LOL. They put out more of their own product in any given year than anyone else, and it is not even close! They have had plenty of decent offerings. Their Ash is one of my better 1/6 figures. Though oddly, there are a bunch of people on here complaining about HT Marty McFly, which I think is bang on, so, I am clearly not in step.

I still think this boils down to price. If it were $50 less for what you get, this criticism wouldn't exist.
Yep. I remember telling someone last week that I think Marty came out great. And as far as the price being too high, why aren't limited run 'custom' figures that retail for $500+ praised so highly? If this was a Rainman piece (looking exactly the same), 30 were made, and cost $600..those 30 people would sing its praises.

And now we're at stage 6 of the collectible life cycle; in-hand isn't as bad as feared, but others who don't own or want the figure can't let it go and continue to harp on how awful it "truly is" until all the fun is sucked out of the thread and people that enjoy the figure go away.

Stay tuned for stage 7; flame war, followed by a brief closing of the thread.

And now we're at stage 6 of the collectible life cycle; in-hand isn't as bad as feared, but others who don't own or want the figure can't let it go and continue to harp on how awful it "truly is" until all the fun is sucked out of the thread and people that enjoy the figure go away.

Are you ignoring all of the people who have it in hand but don't like the figure? It's not like there hasn't been tons of those. And honestly I think most people had the blow softened by being on here already. If all they had was the proto to go off of and then they opened that up, they'd probably be more upset. I know I would.

Hahaha, a lot of truth in that.

Got myself a CB radio off ebay, have found a saddle bag I'll get, just having a hell of a time finding a khaki colored trench coat or older style cream colored corded phone. Trying to put together 2 looks, the A style movie poster, and the 1 scene he wears the jean jacket when entering the Wing Kong Exchange (with crackerjack timing) pretending to be phone repair men. Tons of cell phones and tablets in the 1/6 scale but can't find what I'm looking for, not many options for older phones. At least I found a CB, that's good enough for now.

Got mine today and have to exchange it, or more precisely: destroy it after a replacement figure arrives. The head looks fine, although it has some weird blotches on the right cheek, but the neck connector socket cup thingy (whatever you call it) was just loose, floating inside the rubber neck, making the figure into some kind of David Lynchian bobble head.

BTW: I assume the replacement figure won't be stripped bare. What's a good way to destroy figure clothes? Scissors?

Wait until you get your replacement in hand. Then destroy it.
Sometimes they send the figure stripped bare, sometimes they send some of the costume with it, you won't know until it's in your hands.

Are you ignoring all of the people who have it in hand but don't like the figure? It's not like there hasn't been tons of those.

Actually, I've seen very few of those. Seems like here, Facebook groups, instagram, most of the people who have it in-hand, either say "it's much better in hand, doesn't photograph well, etc., I'm keeping it anyway, etc." I've seen very few people who have it and are selling it or getting rid of it....
It's just unfortunate that (like on other threads), there's always several collectors (not referring to you dukefett, just a general comment) who didn't buy the figure, and don't have the figure, but hate the figure, who come back again and again to criticize. Personally, I don't mind that other people don't like the figures that I like, but why spoil others' enjoyment? Why come back to the thread?

And I generally like Michael Crawford's reviews. But I'm always wary of reviews when the Reviewer starts off by saying that they either don't know the character/film/comic/cartoon etc., or that they aren't a fan of the character.
Yes, figures should be considered based on their own merit ideally, but in reality, the source material has a big impact on how the figure looks/feels to someone who buys it. If someone doesn't know the source material, or doesn't like the source material, they are less likely to like the figure or cut it any slack.
I think the Blitzway Ghostbusters are a perfect example (or many other custom, super-limited figures). The love for the Ghostbuster original movies, has allowed some collectors to overlook the price, QC issues, and sculpt/paint that they might roast another figure over.
I'm not directly comparing this figure to those, I'm just saying that source material is a factor. I love BTILC, and Jack Burton, so naturally I overlook some of the flaws of this figure. Probably the same for many others...

Back