SSC Green Lantern 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is where I have an issue and it's not specifically you; I think a lot of collectors are afraid that if their figures look like they walked off the pages of a comic that it will look more "toy-like." To that I say what about statues? There are plenty of statues not just based on comic art but specific scenes from comics like Superman choking Batman from Hush. Would anyone say these look like they are not "high-end?" So why does this not apply to figures? Hot Toys, Medicom, Phicen; they all make figures based on specific comic book artists renditions. Sideshow does not which perplexes me; how can you make a line of comic characters that are not based on any specific storyline or artist? Now there are fans that prefer that they not look like they stepped off the pages of the comics but they still want a comic line. That makes no sense, it's like saying I want chocolate cake that doesn't have any chocolate in it. If you want a character from a comic but for the figure not to look like it's from a comic, like Wolverine, then you really do not want a comic book line. Comics are drawn by artists, in the case of this Hal Jordan probably Ivan Reis, therefore the figures have to be based on those artists or else you really can't call it a comic book line. It's like having a line based on Lost were none of the figures look like the actors, just somewhat dressed like them. If it is a comic line that is not based on any artist than you've basically took the "comic" out of the comic book line. Chocolate cake with no chocolate.

Again, fair point. As far as the statues are concerned, I certainly think the premium format or larger scale statues look phenomenal, and I don't think anyone would doubt that quality. I don't think it's the same for the figures, due to the materials, exposed joints, etc..
I have to say though, based on the countless debates over the years with my friends, I prefer the fact that SSC is not making a specific Artist's version of a character. Not everyone likes the same artists' versions of these characters. Based on what I've seen, no company (HT, SSC, Medicom, Enterbay, whoever) can be counted on to complete lines, so it's likely that SSC would have only made one version of each character (not different versions, based on different artists).
So it's not really "chocolate cake with no chocolate"; it's really more about liking my Mom's chocolate cake, versus your Mom's, or a generic chocolate cake. I may not like your Mom's, or you may not like mine's... but we'd probably both enjoy a generic one. Wouldn't be our favorite, but that's what customizing is for, I guess...

CANADIANS BE WARNED!!!!!
My Green Lantern came across the border (ordered direct from Sideshow). I thought I had decent price (using reward points and such), but I got charged $83.93!!!!! in duty.
Horrible. Any Canadians know of a Canadian supplier where we can get Exclusive versions?

Again, fair point. As far as the statues are concerned, I certainly think the premium format or larger scale statues look phenomenal, and I don't think anyone would doubt that quality. I don't think it's the same for the figures, due to the materials, exposed joints, etc..
I have to say though, based on the countless debates over the years with my friends, I prefer the fact that SSC is not making a specific Artist's version of a character. Not everyone likes the same artists' versions of these characters. Based on what I've seen, no company (HT, SSC, Medicom, Enterbay, whoever) can be counted on to complete lines, so it's likely that SSC would have only made one version of each character (not different versions, based on different artists).
So it's not really "chocolate cake with no chocolate"; it's really more about liking my Mom's chocolate cake, versus your Mom's, or a generic chocolate cake. I may not like your Mom's, or you may not like mine's... but we'd probably both enjoy a generic one. Wouldn't be our favorite, but that's what customizing is for, I guess...

I believe I fall more into your way of thinking on this one, as I love the generic versions and prefer them to artist specific. I have nothing against either take, as I do own some of those Medi figures. My argument for the generic versions is a little different, however. I'm a completionist with 3-4 characters, and I try to only buy one or two of the characters I don't purchase on a regular basis to add to displays. To me, I'm happy with 100 different Batmen on my shelf, but just one Green Lantern, and I don't so much want/need a thousand versions of a character I don't collect on the regular. I'm not against artist specific versions, because if that character is your thing, I am happy you get as many versions as possible and having a choice in which version to get is great. The generic versions work well for me though, as I'm happy as long as I can look at the figure and instantly recognize, "Hey, that's Hal Jordon." Let's me make a JLA display and use a generic Batman there to go with the others, and not worry so much about the accuracy of having Hush Batman next to New 52 Superman or Capullo Batman next to Jim Lee Superman. I can make the displays I want, and use the generics for teams without much hassle. That's just my own buying patterns though, as I admit I'm a huge fan of the Sideshow line currently and want it to continue and bring us all the major characters possible from it. Are they perfect? No, they are not. They do fit my collecting patterns though, as I love having a Green Lantern or Wolverine with a comic style to them, without having to just say, "Well I have this Green Lantern from this era and this Wolverine from this one, but I need this era's take on each character." If there's two wildly different versions, I'll purchase both, as I'd love to have other Lanterns or yellow/blue Wolverine as well, but so far I've been happy with Sideshow's takes on the characters, minus the price point, honestly.

Sorry about the duty charges. That's a real raw deal. I know you were excited for the great price you got.

You make good points and I do like chocolate cake. When it comes to completing lines, you're right; no one does. The same can be said for Sideshow, but with that regard I do not think anyone is expecting them to complete the line. Or, could you mean the core 7 to 10 members of the Justice League? Now if they did do them look like a specific version of the character, like Hush Batman and Michael Turner Wonder Woman with Ed McGuinness Superman, they could keep pumping out the same characters just different versions. Let's say you do not like the John Byrne Supes, you could wait for them to do a Dave Gibbons version and jump on that.

I believe I fall more into your way of thinking on this one, as I love the generic versions and prefer them to artist specific. I have nothing against either take, as I do own some of those Medi figures. My argument for the generic versions is a little different, however. I'm a completionist with 3-4 characters, and I try to only buy one or two of the characters I don't purchase on a regular basis to add to displays. To me, I'm happy with 100 different Batmen on my shelf, but just one Green Lantern, and I don't so much want/need a thousand versions of a character I don't collect on the regular. I'm not against artist specific versions, because if that character is your thing, I am happy you get as many versions as possible and having a choice in which version to get is great. The generic versions work well for me though, as I'm happy as long as I can look at the figure and instantly recognize, "Hey, that's Hal Jordon." Let's me make a JLA display and use a generic Batman there to go with the others, and not worry so much about the accuracy of having Hush Batman next to New 52 Superman or Capullo Batman next to Jim Lee Superman. I can make the displays I want, and use the generics for teams without much hassle. That's just my own buying patterns though, as I admit I'm a huge fan of the Sideshow line currently and want it to continue and bring us all the major characters possible from it. Are they perfect? No, they are not. They do fit my collecting patterns though, as I love having a Green Lantern or Wolverine with a comic style to them, without having to just say, "Well I have this Green Lantern from this era and this Wolverine from this one, but I need this era's take on each character." If there's two wildly different versions, I'll purchase both, as I'd love to have other Lanterns or yellow/blue Wolverine as well, but so far I've been happy with Sideshow's takes on the characters, minus the price point, honestly.

You make some good points. I guess, for me, I view this line in the same vain as DC Direct/DC Collectibles or Marvel Select and Marvel Legends; multiples of the same character just based on different styles or storylines. The line could go on forever. A generic Superman and Batman seems so 1 dimensional to me when there is almost an endless well of source material to pull from. Sideshow can make this line go on forever it they wanted to.

Sorry about the duty charges. That's a real raw deal. I know you were excited for the great price you got.

You make good points and I do like chocolate cake. When it comes to completing lines, you're right; no one does. The same can be said for Sideshow, but with that regard I do not think anyone is expecting them to complete the line. Or, could you mean the core 7 to 10 members of the Justice League? Now if they did do them look like a specific version of the character, like Hush Batman and Michael Turner Wonder Woman with Ed McGuinness Superman, they could keep pumping out the same characters just different versions. Let's say you do not like the John Byrne Supes, you could wait for them to do a Dave Gibbons version and jump on that.

You make some good points. I guess, for me, I view this line in the same vain as DC Direct/DC Collectibles or Marvel Select and Marvel Legends; multiples of the same character just based on different styles or storylines. The line could go on forever. A generic Superman and Batman seems so 1 dimensional to me when there is almost an endless well of source material to pull from. Sideshow can make this line go on forever it they wanted to.

I still think they could make it go on forever just using generics. Batman for instance, they've already made two, and they could make a lot more potentially. Black with yellow oval, navy blue yellow oval, black and grey with yellow oval, dark blue no oval, etc each time changing out the face and body slightly. Superman you could do the one they've already made, a more youthful looking one, a new 52 looking suit, black with silver S, even toss in one with the long hair/mullet look. I don't think they necessarily have to go artist specific, but they can still hit different variations from eras of the books to keep the line going. I'm buying their Wolverine, for a good representation of the tan/orange suit but would jump if I saw them make a yellow/blue tiger stripe version or a black and silver X-Force styled version as well, but if in six months they just toss out a slightly different orange/tan and call it a John Byrne version, I'd probably groan and wouldn't purchase it. Heck, even a character like Robin (probably my most wanted 1/6 figure along with Batgirl, Flash, and Nightwing) they could do at least four versions of without getting too artist specific, I mean they could do shorty shorts Grayson look, green long pants Drake look, red and black Drake look, or the Damien styled look and I'd buy all four of them. There's ways to keep the line going and represent looks without churning out constant rehashes that just take on mild artistic changes from artist to artist.

I keep looking at this figure and imho SSC missed the mark. The head does not look enough like Hal & the costume is not there either. The 13" DC version looks perfect compared to this. The custom head & costume from Tony would be a must.

I keep looking at this figure and imho SSC missed the mark. The head does not look enough like Hal & the costume is not there either. The 13" DC version looks perfect compared to this. The custom head & costume from Tony would be a must.

exactly. This is too expensive and too much of an artistic interpretation. This is going to be a shelf warmer. Sideshow started this line with great promise. It is going to end soon.

Now if they did do them look like a specific version of the character, like Hush Batman and Michael Turner Wonder Woman with Ed McGuinness Superman, they could keep pumping out the same characters just different versions. Let's say you do not like the John Byrne Supes, you could wait for them to do a Dave Gibbons version and jump on that.

Ya, I don't normally ***** and moan about the duty costs, any time I've had to pay duty for my SSC orders (up to and including C3P0), the duty charge was only @$40 - $45. They basically doubled the duty charges for no reason.

Now THAT would be incredible. If there was a company that could confidently pump out several versions based on specific artists, I would change my tune, and not go for the generic...

I see your point there. I guess for me (using medicom as an example), although it does look more like it stepped off the page of a comic, I find (depending on sculpt of course) it also makes the figures look more... "toy"-like? I know that's a ridiculous thing to say, as they are all toys. But again, comparing SSC figures to Medicom so far, I've had people ask me if the medicom figures I had were from ToysRus. But those same people never thought that about the SSC figures. I think the slightly smaller, more cartoony heads contribute to that. I shouldn't care what anyone else thinks, and I don't so much to be honest, but I do like my collection to look a little more substantial or "high-end".
For me, a "comic" line means that the look and outfit is based on art in the comics (not specific artists, mind you), as opposed to the film versions. For example, although the upcoming SSC Wolverine isn't exact to any artist's comic version, it is clearly based on look in the comics, as opposed to the Hot Toys Wolverines.

I have to say I agree with this. I have 4 detolfs full of figures, which are mostly Hot Toys, but with a few Sideshow (Highlander, Lord of the Rings), DC Direct (GL, Sinestro, Captain Marvel, Superman) and Ignite (historical stuff). Although the difference in likeness/quality/coolness/whatever is apparent to me, the really surprising thing is how quickly non-toy collectors discern the difference.

I think the TRU concept hits it - my wife and older friends (I'm in my late 40's but several of my good friends are 59's and 60's) will spontaneously comment on some of them as being "toy like" or something a kid might play with whereas others look like they belong in a museum. (Don't get me wrong I have a freaking ton of Toy Biz, Hasbro, Mattel, etc. toys - but they don't go in my lit display cases either).

My wife has commented on numerous occasions that my display would look much nicer if I were to move some of the "comic booky" or "cheap" looking ones out.

What I have a tough time with is paying high end prices for stuff that doesn't look high end (at least my DC Direct figures I got for $55-$80 each). I get production can still be expensive, but the end product doesn't work for me.

Well said!
In my experience, the non-collectors will look at my figures and say either 1) "Where did you get THAT??"... or 2) "Ya, my nephew got one of those for Christmas"... that basically gives me a sense of how impressive the figure looks to fresh, objective eyes.
I have bought medicom figures, so I do like what they do (same for NECA and a few others). It's just too bad that the higher quality (if you can call them that) companies have raised their prices to the point where the little nits become much bigger nits due to the price point.
Happy St. Pat's (as it's a "GREEN" Lantern thread) everyone!

With all the flaws of this figure, to me he's almost like the Hot Toys Avengers Hulk. On his own, you can't help but focus on the flaws. On the other hand, having this makes me feel really happy:
P3190546.JPG

With all the flaws of this figure, to me he's almost like the Hot Toys Avengers Hulk. On his own, you can't help but focus on the flaws. On the other hand, having this makes me feel really happy:
View attachment 253433

Great photo - the GL figure looks great as part of a group... not liking the wrinkling on his arms though, and I feel a light up feature on his power ring would display better.

Ya, you can futz it to smooth the wrinkles out (I already changed the pose in my display). The lack of the light up power ring, and actually the lack of More CONSTRUCTS are the biggest issues I have with it.

Ya, you can futz it to smooth the wrinkles out (I already changed the pose in my display). The lack of the light up power ring, and actually the lack of More CONSTRUCTS are the biggest issues I have with it.

Yeah, I just think if they can make Iron Man's hand thrusters light-up, they could have made GL's ring light up quite easily.

Yeah, I just think if they can make Iron Man's hand thrusters light-up, they could have made GL's ring light up quite easily.

I'm glad they didn't do that, it just increases the costs for a feature that never gets used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave up on Sideshow's 12" DC line due to the GL figure based on the pricing and design fracas within this thread when it was first announced.

Based on the initial in hand pictures, the figure is disappointing with its flaws.

I'm of the belief that custom head sculpts and outfit sets from the current and growing niche group of 1:6 customizers who'll actually provide a superior design and quality will be the niche driven future with respect to 1:6 figures of desired and wanted DC and other superheroes if Sideshow and/or whoever is left (i.e. HOT TOYS) continue to price gouge collectors like ourselves with high prices and flawed offerings.

The only item I have left on pre-order with Sideshow is the 1:6 Punisher figure. I passed on Wolverine. I was tempted, but I couldn't justify the price for what was presented.

If the 12" line by Sideshow dies, then it's truly on them. Of course, they'll blame the collectors for being too critical.

HOT TOYS will continue to do well for the time being with their 1:6 juggernaut of Marvel offerings and possibly DC offerings, but their clientele are not necessarily 1:6 collectors like ourselves, but quite frankly people who don't necessarily know jack about 1:6 and who shouldn't be collecting 1:6 in the first place.

Of course I digress.

Back