SSC Firefly

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need some help/advice. I won an auction for a firefly at a decent price and now the seller is refusing to honor it because he had some disclaimer buried in his terms:

"I reserve the right to refuse sale to those with a history of negative feedback, hidden identity, or less than 30 positive feedbacks etc."

He claims I wasn't allowed to bid because of my low feedback(I have only 6 and all positive) and that I have no recent activity(I just bought a 200+ sideshow the previous week from someone else). It doesn't say anything about me not being ALLOWED to bid. Hell, I paid immediately after winning, like I always have.

It's pretty clear that he just didn't get what he wanted out of the item and wants to re-list it. He sent some cancellation request, so what should I do?

I need some help/advice. I won an auction for a firefly at a decent price and now the seller is refusing to honor it because he had some disclaimer buried in his terms:

"I reserve the right to refuse sale to those with a history of negative feedback, hidden identity, or less than 30 positive feedbacks etc."

He claims I wasn't allowed to bid because of my low feedback(I have only 6 and all positive) and that I have no recent activity(I just bought a 200+ sideshow the previous week from someone else). It doesn't say anything about me not being ALLOWED to bid.

It's pretty clear that he just didn't get what he wanted out of the item and wants to re-list it. He sent some cancellation request, so what should I do?

Call Ebay you can rebuttle it if you have the money to pay then he can't just back out.

you can also report him, he let it get to point of you wining it before removing you from bidding process he forfeits his right

Call Ebay you can rebuttle it if you have the money to pay then he can't just back out.

you can also report him, he let it get to point of you wining it before removing you from bidding process he forfeits his right

True, I've already paid via paypal. That's why it's clear he's being shady. I bid at the last minute, so there was no way to cancel it. I think I'll call ebay and see. Thanks

Damn! I forgot to bid on that auction. 255.00 for a sealed Exclusive Firefly is a great buy right now.

I am very interested to see how Ebay handles this one. I feel that you should get the figure. I am fairly certain that Ebay will as well. But he does note in his auction that anyone who is under 30 positive feedback is not eligible to bid.

DO NOT give up without a fight. And let us know what happens.

EBay can't force a seller to sell something, but you can end up giving him negative feedback. To be honest though, I can empathize with the seller. If have over 1,000 feedbacks on eBay (all positive), and sell quite a bit. If I had my druthers, I wouldn't sell to anyone without at least 10 or 20 positive feedbacks, either, because you are increasing the chances that you are dealing with a scammer or someone who doesn't have reasonable expectations because of their inexperience with eBay. Not saying that applies to you, but the vast majority of my problematic sales were with people with low feedback scores (not paying and creating a hassle, changing their minds, making unreasonable demands, etc.). I don't think the seller is being shady, but despite his auction listing, I believe eBay does force sellers to honor sales to those without negative feedback (meaning -1 or less) at the risk of allowing the buyer to leave negative feedback.

If he didn't want people with less than 30, it should have been clearly listed, rather than buried in all that text.

I'm going to call anyway. I mean, if I pay literally within minutes and have all positive feedback, how am I scamming anyone...

Thanks for the advice and I'll let y'all know what happens

If it's listed in the auction description, then I would consider it clear enough. In general, bidders are responsible for reading descriptions carefully to know what they are getting into. If you bid in ignorance of this fact, then I don't think that's on him. You can argue he has no right to deny bidders according to eBay policy, but if you missed something in the auction description then that's on you.

EBay won't allow sellers to automatically block bids from people with low feedback, by the way. So listing this in his description was his only option.

Cancelling a bid during the auction for the reason given is one thing and, to me, acceptable to protect against a scammer.

Trying to back out of a completed auction after the buyer has paid for the item is a whole other bowl of bananas.

After seeing that. . .yeah, that's a lot of freakin' disclaimers :lol I can see your point. He's even got an "In closing" paragraph. That's really over kill. He does reserve the right to do whatever, but bidders reserve the right to neg him, so. . .

To Dark Cruel's post, I would agree with that in some instances, but if folks snipe bid at the last minute then you have no ability to block bids. In the past I've blocked guys with 3 or 4 feedback early on, only to have a guy with zero end up winning and, predictably, not paying or responding to messages *sigh*

Ok, I called ebay and they said to decline the cancel request and then file an item not received complaint if not received within 7 days.

keep with it because it can cause him not to be able to sell for awhile, he might relize the severity and send the item.

I sold to a guy who ranked a lot of high but he dragged things out and never paid so low numbers don't mean anything. this guy was eventually booted from ebay because he was sending me hatemail ebay saw that and he got his account suspended.

So sellers and biders can be reprimanded. if he doesn't send you item in the aloted time then this goes on his record and could loose the ability to sell for 2 weeks or permant. not much else. but if he does this for income he might do the smart thing and send you the item.

Ok, I called ebay and they said to decline the cancel request and then file an item not received complaint if not received within 7 days.

go to top section of ebay under customer support, then click on resolution center it's the valid complaint area sometimes the ones attached to item don't get job done and they don't see it where-as resolution center pops right up. make sure you have two screans up so you can enter info on auction to the complaint. it will ask for his id,item number etc

You can definitely make it more painful for the seller that way, because they would have to eat fees plus have potentially negative feedback and have them reported. But considering that the auction description says what it say, if I were in your shoes, I would consider it fair to cancel the transaction and move on, as you didn't understand his rules before bidding. Even though the guy does have a really convoluted item description, he clearly did not want people with low feedback bidding. This happened anyway, so now he's trying to enforce the rule he laid out that was not followed. Again, this is difficult for him because eBay policy doesn't care about his wishes, but I don't think he's done anything a bidder who read his description carefully wouldn't expect.

I can understand hesitation on a seller's part, but the following should make it clear that there is no sign of scam on my part:

1)I paid in full, immediately after
2)I followed up to his emails immediately
3)I have all positive feedback, one as recently as last week for a similar item

Now after that, why on earth would I suddenly turn into some d-bag buyer? I still think the answer is that he didn't get what he wanted in price and wants to try again.

Sorry if I'm cluttering up this topic with my nonsense, but I'm just kind of annoyed at the whole thing :thud:

I still think the answer is that he didn't get what he wanted in price and wants to try again.
Very possible, but like I said before, I can also understand some skepticism toward anyone with low feedback levels, despite the issues you bring up. In any case, you've got options at your disposal that may deter him from not shipping. If you feel he is in the wrong when all is said and done, you can create some pain for this guy with the feedback. At that point, I'm sure all his future auctions would state first, in huge, bold print: "DO NOT BID UNLESS YOU HAVE X FEEDBACK" or whatever.

Back