SSC Firefly

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it looks like firefly but Sideshow tweaked/changed/missed a lot of little things that all add up imo. I would like them to do a new version and basically just copy EF's custom. Sideshow's FF is definitely not as much of a ringer as their beachhead though. He is pretty much spot on except for his chest rig.

It's as if all they took from the original Firefly to influence this figure was: urban camo pattern, wears mask, has explosives, and evil facial expression.
As I said before, one could easily same the same thing about Beachhead's design rationale.

If they hadn't released the camo head (as again, they didn't originally intend), if you showed it to a typical Joe fan, and if you didn't tell them that this was supposed to be a Joe figure, I don't think they would have immediately said to themselves, "hey, that's Firefly!"
I doubt it. The human mind is a pretty good pattern-recognition engine that way. :p

Ultimately, we can only agree to disagree, but if you had a poll I'm pretty sure I know which figure would be viewed as more similar to the original character.
Like Mark Twain said, there are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies and statistics. ;)

But Firefly was not a matter of small details. Like Kara said they were not going to gives us the camo head, and without it we would not think think of Firefly when we see it.
I actually the original colour. It offsets the costume rather nicely, I think.

SS version of Firefly is missing his crossed bandolier
Beachhead is missing his ammunition satchel.

Further, Firefly hasn't always been depicted with two bandoliers.

260437-199200-firefly.jpg

87928-163195-firefly.gif

his iconic backpack
So is Beachhead, and it actually hurt the figure because there no is place to store his crossbow (or, for that matter, to hook the bottom of the backpack onto, unless you got a little creative).

the color of the camo is way too light for a saboteur, looks like an artic trooper.
1202364-611254_577650_master___apprentice2_0004_large.jpg

I've mentioned Beachhead's trousers before, right? :p

Beach Head is Beach Head when you first see him, no doubt about it.
And so is Firefly, though, as Karamazov says, we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this. :1-1:

I think it looks like firefly but Sideshow tweaked/changed/missed a lot of little things that all add up imo. I would like them to do a new version and basically just copy EF's custom. Sideshow's FF is definitely not as much of a ringer as their beachhead though. He is pretty much spot on except for his chest rig.
And mask, and trousers, and boots, and backpack, and...

Eh.../shrug

Like everyone has said I guess this is the agree to disagree thread :lol

Ultimately I don't have problems with either and picked up multiples of each. I have had the most fun with beachhead,taking pics, gearing him up and kitting him out with different load outs, etc.

I would love to see someone give us a sweater and sweat pants with the same camo pattern as the SSC head. I think there would be enough interest to make it worth a 1/6 tailor's while to consider such a thing. . .

Also, just as a heads up, I bought this from eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/380601038893?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and it doesn't work for Firefly IMO. But cheap if you want to give it a shot.

Nice find! King and 'Face as well as others did some killer Fireflys using that set. It'll make for something to play around with until another solution presents itself. Now to pack his back.

Like someone said above i think they do pop up but they are gone crazy quick.
And usually for crazy prices.

I would say those artists forgot the draw the second strap. :dunno Besides, original figure card art > anything else
Not for this line. Not since they kicked it off with a couple of figures directly based on Tim Bradstreet reinterpretations.

Besides, Firefly's original card art doesn't have two bandoliers. :p

firefly-gijoe.jpg

Anyways, I have both so meh....

fireflys-1.jpg
Out of curiousity, did you modify Firefly's jacket at all there, or just tuck it in?

I think you are wrong there sir. I honestly believe most Joe fans want the figures closer to the source material as possible while giving way to a little bit a modernization. Firefly is one of those characters that is so badass that some fans are willing to forgive the artic look. Beach head is a great example of old school joe with a bit of a modern look, that everybody loves. Same with the troopers.

Possibly. I was basing my opinion on what I see. And I really only see a very small number of people who are really hating on the Sideshow Firefly and are still jonesing for a vintage version.

Many posts about it...but all by just a small handful of the collectors.

I think Sideshow's Firefly is bad arse...that's why I bought 2 and have a Mint Gem safely tucked away

He is my favorite Joe - had to open and play with him...I have also bought him extra 1/6 guns / wepons / bombs etc...just so he has more toys to play with...

It's funny how everyone wants the figure from their childhood.
What if I grew up in 92' (I didn't) but lets say I did would I be wrong if I wanted the Green V2 version?

I mean he played a huge part in the shaping of the Arashikage clan and when his true identity was revealed I was like GTFO!

View attachment 59977

It's funny how everyone wants the figure from their childhood.
What if I grew up in 92' (I didn't) but lets say I did would I be wrong if I wanted the Green V2 version?

I mean he played a huge part in the shaping of the Arashikage clan and when his true identity was revealed I was like GTFO!

View attachment 59977

When I think about firefly the first version that comes to mind is that one LOL. Still have a soft spot for that horrible color scheme but the more I think about it the 84 is essentially my favorite due to the comics and the cartoon series.

I always liked that sculpt and figure. I think the black trim version is a little better. Change the neon to a olive drab and it would be better.

Firefly ain't a ninja though.......

I dug that figure too when I was younger. In true Battle Corps fashion the sculpt is great but the colors kill it. I had a Joe buddy that did a two-tone grey repaint that looked pretty sharp.

This is a pretty good Firefly custom using the America's Finest subdued urban camouflage as a base.

ffc212.jpg

Back