Square Enix Play Arts Kai Gets New Licenses

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sculpts are not the biggest problem in my eyes, it's the mental paint apps they continue to use.

They decides to go the route of the weird, glossy light reflective paint that looks kinda cheap ten they over dark wash everything which wouldn't look as bad if it didn't dry bitty or grainy

I don't mind it on some figures (especially metallic/armored type of characters like Deathstroke) but on the regular figures with normal skin color? Yeah, much as I love the PAKs I own, it's always a gamble whether you'll end up getting something okay, or an outright nightmare. :monkey4

That said, upon closer inspection, I've developed a fondness for that Western Batman (the cowboy, vampire hunter-looking one) as ridiculous as it looks and depending on the paint, I'm curious to see how the Spartan Batman will turn out.

Yeah. PAK fails at skin tones. I'm alright with their armor design and colors. Reflects light alright. I go HT for human characters, PAK for armors. Hahahaa. I'm curious to see what color they're going for with that Spartan and Samurai Batman as well. Steampunk would probably be a lot of bronze, brass colors.

And with the other previews, I just might get all of the FF AC characters. That Cloud looks especially awesome. Now gimme a proper scale Sephiroth!

Some unboxed pics of the Play Arts Connor..

PlayArts_Connor_Figure_17_zpsb4ebff55.jpg

PlayArts_Connor_Figure_22_zpsa9420de4.jpg

PlayArts_Connor_Figure_23_zps41a0a9e6.jpg

PlayArts_Connor_Figure_34_zpsab8582ed.jpg

PlayArts_Connor_Figure_43_zps761e6e79.jpg

PlayArts_Connor_Figure_54_zps9c69b08a.jpg

Overall, a very nice figure. Details are very nice and the accessories are very easy to swap out.

A lot more pics and all my thoughts on the figure at my blog:
https://jveronworld.blogspot.sg/2014/07/playarts-assassins-creed-connor-figure.html

SSC actually has it with free shipping and gift card codes to bring it to $70. But at $90 that's really pushing it...though it beats their recent $100 offerings imo

Haven't been into AC lately, but that Kenway looks really good. Even his paint looks solid and clean-cut compared to the average spray paint job that PAKs get.

Haven't been into AC lately, but that Kenway looks really good. Even his paint looks solid and clean-cut compared to the average spray paint job that PAKs get.

Yes, the paint is very well-done. I'm not a fan of Play Arts myself because of certain face sculpts and the paint app but the toy fair pics looked very good and thankfully, the production figures came out just as good.

Edward Kenway pics.

Thanks for that. Connor looks great, but Edward looks amazing! I've mostly restricted myself to collecting the MGS PAK, but I may have to get my hands on Edward at least. I really hope they do Ezio from Brotherhood and Revelations.

Incidentally, why won't you be using the stand? My MGS figures kept falling over, so I set all of them up on stands.

Incidentally, why won't you be using the stand? My MGS figures kept falling over, so I set all of them up on stands.

Just a personal preference, never liked the stands even from Hot Toys or other companies.
Looking at the quality of Connor and Edward, I hope they continue with other Assassins, especially Altair and Arno.

Any new PAK SF figures coming. I went through about last 15 pages, but there wasn't anything. Well that burning gimp paid my attention. So he is supposed to be Volgin or somekind of a ghost Volgin? Looks rather stupid to me.

I got some good QC on my Connor and Edward too - though Connor has the black spray paint, might be due to his darker skin. I found Connor's articulation more limiting though, but I love his accessories

It is volgin, who knows what his affiliation is to the new game. Maybe all the people who thinks this character is dumb might get a surprise and do a 180° when they find out why he is how he is. One can hope anyway. At least we know SOMETHING about the other characters. Its so weird that were being given a figure off of a possible nightmare sequence. Kinda crazy actually that they trust enough that people will buy this off of looks alone unless by release we will know much more about him. Dunno........

@WellCQCaboutthat: Agreed. Admittedly it's not that I'm overly bothered by the idea of making figures based on stuff like that, I'm more bothered by the fact that we're getting a flaming Volgin before any other central characters (let alone a normal Volgin at that). It's the kind of thing that would've been fine if only we've gotten most of the important characters already, but instead of being a cool variant, it comes across as a puzzling choice. Good point though, for all we know, nightmare/flaming Volgin as "character" could turn out better than we're expecting it to be.

There gonna pump out the MGSV figures now it's the newest MGS game and a good time to capitalise while the game is at the forefront. They can wait to release other figures from past games because they know the collectors will buy them a year from now.

I bet they don't get released until near the games release anyway so as to capitalise the most and make maximum profit, it'd be a very mistake if MGSTPP turns out to be a mega huge game any everyone's wants figures but they haven't got any ready

Back