Speculation: Hot Toys "Solo" Movie Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm fine with the art and money relationship... Hitchcock and Spielberg balanced that quite well... its when that balance devolved into brands... limited recognized brands that continually get remade, rebooted, regurgitated.

Imagine if they repainted the Mona Lisa over and over again just in different styles.

It's like someone took "there's only 12 stories" quite literally and now that's all we're getting -- the 12 Great Franchises, over and over again, forever.

I'm fine with the art and money relationship... Hitchcock and Spielberg balanced that quite well... its when that balance devolved into brands... limited recognized brands that continually get remade, rebooted, regurgitated.

Imagine if they repainted the Mona Lisa over and over again just in different styles.

It's like someone took "there's only 12 stories" quite literally and now that's all we're getting -- the 12 Great Franchises, over and over again, forever.

Ah yes. That conservative, lowest common denominator mentality kicks in when the bean-counters dominate. At least that's a big part of it. I also have a sneaking suspicion that social media is dumbing us down and scouring people's brains of attention, complexity, nuance and critical thinking, but maybe that's just me growing old.

I agree that Indy can be compared to Bond, but I don’t think Star Wars is comparable. Star Wars is much bigger than one character, which is why if they make it like the Bond formula they’re shooting themselves in the foot. Since the ST clearly hasn’t done this, they could have created this generation’s Han Solo with a new Star Wars character (that spot is currently occupied by Star-Lord i would guess) but instead they cast a new Han bringing all the baggage that that entails. My hope is that it does worse than Rogue One so that the takeaway is the people want new characters in the SW universe, but the production of this movie was so plagued with problems that it’s unclear what the takeaway would be.

Stagnation. Its what almost killed Disney not too long ago before they bought Pixar, the old guard had lost touch and we'll likely see it happen again and again...

The new film's are for a new generation of kids...and weather it's good or bad...for many 5-10 year olds...Alden ehrenreich will be their Han solo
And i wouldn't bet against a woman being cast in a future reboot of the Indiana jones franchise...maybe that's what they'll do in Indy5...his grand daughter Indiana will take up the mantle..

Speculation: Hot Toys "Solo" Movie Figures

I agree that a new character is prefered to rebooting an old character. And Star Wars is certainly big enough to accommodate a bazillion stories.

But that's... branding for you.

Yeah, not surprised by it, just obviously disappointed and can understand where Ray is coming from. I’m sure I’ll see it, as I doubt I could look away from a Star Wars flick even if I knew it was a train wreck. Hope it’s enjoyable enough. I read some reports during the troubled production that his Han had shades of Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura.

I’m curious figure-wise if anybody plans to get the eventual Hot Toys figure since the outfit looks interesting enough but plans to pop a Ford sculpt on it.

I agree that a new character is prefered to rebooting an old character. And Star Wars is certainly big enough to accommodate a bazillion stories.

But that's... branding for you.

Yeah that's what you say now, but the second they officially announce the Obi-Wan movie you guys will be all over that. ;)

LOL

If you accept Star Wars as a cultural phenomenon and a populist modern mythos, it has to shapeshift the way Shakespeare's (populist) works have done.

Wait... isn't populism like Nazism? I'm confused.:dunno:monkey3

LOL

For those of us who remember, it can be jarring to see what was frozen in time change context. Regardless of whether there are missteps or not.

But the people of the future won't know and probably wouldn't care how we felt about a thing. Disney having its way with Star Wars is just a footnote to all of us aging and watching the world change.

I dunno... I have a feeling that the people of the future won't care about Disney having its way with Star Wars. They'll be watching and loving the OT, and the billions in profits from all the other long-ago forgotten stuff (prequels, new trilogies, reboots, spinoffs, tie-in TV series, Spanish-language GOT-themed animated series, Broadway musical tie-in based on the manga etc etc.) will have long ago been squandered in Disney corporate missteps leading to its three-way merger with Facebook and Yum Brands.

And in 2118, a ten year old will sit down to watch that Star Destroyer chase that blockade runner on his holo-VR TV and be blown away.

The new film's are for a new generation of kids...and weather it's good or bad...for many 5-10 year olds...Alden ehrenreich will be their Han solo
And i wouldn't bet against a woman being cast in a future reboot of the Indiana jones franchise...maybe that's what they'll do in Indy5...his grand daughter Indiana will take up the mantle..

You could cast a young Angelina Jolie look-alike and give her a mid-riff top and short-shorts, but in a strong post-feminist way (like she writes empowering words on the revealed skin with a sharpie).:dunno

And maybe give this Indy 5 a subtitle, something like "Temple Marauder."

Yeah that's what you say now, but the second they officially announce the Obi-Wan movie you guys will be all over that. ;)

Two wall-to-wall hours of Ewan doing his Alec/the butler impression? What's not to love?:rotfl

Ewan has already been established as Obi-Wan, so the idea of that movie isn’t at all offensive like the Young Han movie. Can’t be worse than the prequels if they give it a good simple story. I imagine they’ll figure out a way to get him off Tatooine for some kind of adventure.

Ewan has already been established as Obi-Wan, so the idea of that movie isn’t at all offensive like the Young Han movie. Can’t be worse than the prequels if they give it a good simple story. I imagine they’ll figure out a way to get him off Tatooine for some kind of adventure.

Ben and his Sandperson girlfriend. Partying with Jawas.:lecture

I want the movie to be like "A Man Called Horse" where you see Ben getting bones stuck in his skin as he's brutally initiated into a Tusken tribe, then as reward he sees a Tusken lady come into his tent and drop the robes (face mask stays on though.)

Then there's the part where Ben watches the young boy Luke from a distance as Owen yells at him for putting farm equipment together wrong and Ben uses his force powers to trip Owen.

Capture.JPG

Found this pic of the Patrol Trooper from EW. Looks like a cross between Clone Trooper and Stormtrooper.

Back