Skin tone help

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol Thanks, I thought that there may have been a definitive set of colours as well as the primary colours . ( goddamn these antidepressants ! )

use a mix of burnt sieanna raw sienna and white...

you can adjust the tones to get the look youre going for by adjusting these 3 colors...

Got to say a big thanks for this! I used to go through a whole slew of mix red, yellow, white and brown and wouldn't get the right colors.

But I just tried the mix of burnt and raw sienna and white and it worked perfectly with one try.

add the black if you get a chance to....it comes out looking 95-100% like the skin tones Hot Toys use....i would have never guessed the black in there....:)

add the black if you get a chance to....it comes out looking 95-100% like the skin tones Hot Toys use....i would have never guessed the black in there....:)

REALLY?! will do on me next sculpts!!! THanks!

Burnt sienna + white + cadmium red + ultramarine

thanks for that too! always have a bit of trouble getting a good lip color

Great stuff guys!

Also, for those in the US, I discovered both Michael's and Hobby Lobby carry Liquitex paints.

I found all the colors mentioned here, though the only white they seemed to have was either Titanium White or Translucent White. I got the former. I assume that's the right one.

I originally posted this in the Indy Customization and custom newb threads but since no one has answered there maybe I can get some answers here...

Here is a WIP picture of my second head painting attempt. My first one was the SS GI Joe Dusty and it turned out pretty well. I had fun doing it so I decided Indy would be my next project. I still have to finish the lips, eyes, stubble and touch up work but can I get some opinions on the skin tone? Should I add a little color to the forehead, cheeks, etc? I don't know if I should just add a little red to the base skin tone I have mixed up and drybrush it or if I should try the pastel route. As far as the stubble, if I go the pastel route can someone walk me through it a little bit. I have some dark grey pastel that I ground down. Do I just lightly drybrush it on to blend it in or do I have to use a damp brush to blend it into the paint on the sculpt?

As a complete paining newb, any and all advice is helpful! Thanks!

p1050916t.jpg

p1050913d.jpg

p1050914w.jpg

I just want to say thanks for everyone help. I used the suggested colors plus a drop of few other colors and I'm quite happy with the result. Just trying to recreate it again its difficult..! For the stubble I used pastels which gives it a good effect.

100_1575.jpg
100_1571.jpg
100_1570.jpg

Great stuff guys!

Also, for those in the US, I discovered both Michael's and Hobby Lobby carry Liquitex paints.

I found all the colors mentioned here, though the only white they seemed to have was either Titanium White or Translucent White. I got the former. I assume that's the right one.

Yeah, don't use the transparent mixing white....won't do what you need it to do.

Thanks for the tip!

I tried my first painting attempt yesterday. I seemed to have to add a LOT of white to get the tone even close to natural. Probably about triple any of the other colors.

Obviously I need more practice. These ratios are very tricky. :)

I also noticed that there was two types of Liquitex paints out in the hobby shops, one set that had less variety but were a bit cheaper (dark/black tubes), and another set that were more a little more expensive, but had more variety (white tubes). I've been using the latter.

Is there a vast difference between these? Can you mix between the two?

Yaeh I seemed to use quite a lot of white. I can't seem to get my color again which was really good. I don't remember what I did cause I put so many different colors in. Its just trial and error.

I have some dark grey pastel that I ground down. Do I just lightly drybrush it on to blend it in or do I have to use a damp brush to blend it into the paint on the sculpt?

As a complete paining newb, any and all advice is helpful! Thanks!

You lightly rub it on with a dry brush and then once it looks like you want it, dullcoat it to seal it on there.

Back