Sixth scales in the summer heat?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintv1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hopefully I am posting this in the appropriate place. If not, my apologies.

I bought my first two six scale figures over the winter (Hot Toys Robocop, ThreeZero Isaac Clarke) and I've had some concerns about making sure they remain in good condition for as long as I can reasonably manage.

With Summer approaching, my apartment is going to get super hot. I've got no air conditioning and the temperature in here will definitely hit 30 degrees Celsius on certain days over the next couple of months. Because I haven't owned this sort of collectible before, and both figures have soft rubber components (Robo's knees and elbows, Isaac's boots) and Isaac has a lot of soft plastic parts, I'm wondering if I should be concerned about heat leading to any sort of degradation or damage. I have no idea if this is a realistic concern or not, but I am aware of rubber breakdown over time with certain Hot Toys, and obviously that's something I'd like to avoid if at all possible. Likewise I don't know if heat might lead to discolouration over time. I'm considering packaging them both back up and storing them at my parents' place for the summer, where heat and humidity is not a concern.

I'd appreciate the advice of anyone with experience with this sort of thing.

You should be more concerned with humidity than heat. If your place is very humid, it'll be a breeding-ground for mold, and dry rot can set-in. I live in a very tiny apartment in NYC, and it gets very humid here during the summer. I usually store my figures in my room, with the AC since it'll dehumidify the air. But, since that's not an option for you, perhaps you can make use of extra silica packets, and keep your figures away from sunlight.

I figure, if the heat in your apartment isn't approaching the boiling temperature of water (which is enough to burn off your skin), you shouldn't have a problem. I haven't had anything melt on me yet.

Keep them out of the sun, you'll be fine.:cuckoo:

I swear, the level of angst that goes into this topic beggars belief.

And yes, the HT rubber will rot. All rubber does. It's just a matter of time. With HT, it's extra cheap rubber, so less time. :)

It's not crazy to worry about at all... humidity will certainly be a worry for some HT figures. And metal. Have seen the damage of cracking and rusting.

$200-$300 a pop, yeah I'm going to be paranoid.

Back