RAH Replacement Body Options - Obitsu or others?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacycmc

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hello!

So, I have a RAH Light Yagami from Death Note. I bought him used for about $220 shipped and as soon as I took him out of the box and started moving him around his left shoulder fell apart. So....as I went to remove his clothes to inspect more closely, his right shoulder fell apart. By fell apart I mean the joints had deteriorated and crumbled, literally causing the arm to fall off.

I found this article on how to fix RAH joints:

https://figurefixer.blogspot.com/2015/11/repairing-one-of-those-pesky-broken-rah.html

So, Light underwent surgery on both shoulders and now they are attached and function...mostly. The issue is they are a bit loose, so he cannot support his own arms when they are above his head. I can move him around and pose him, but his arms don't like to hold, and again...if they go up, they tend to want to just fall back down.

So...long story short I'm done with the attempted repairs, as I think the area is just too far gone to fix it, and this is as good as it gets. So, now I want to just replace his entire body and give him the wonderful poseability he should have, but that I've yet to enjoy with him (I have other RAH's so I know they can be wonderful...when in working condition).

Now that leads me to my final question...what are some good replacement body options for the RAH body? Here is a link to a blog I did on another site that has lots of pics of Light's original RAH body and measurements (https://myfigurecollection.net/blog/40158) - the pics of Light are under the spoiler tags there. He is a slender body, so I don't think most of the ones I can find on eBay will work, as their shoulders look too broad (his pants have to fit around his waste..as they are snug already...and the jacket is pretty much perfect across the shoulders so something larger likely wouldn't work).

I have read that the Hot Toys True Type slim (??) is a good option, but can tend to be a little taller than a RAH body. That concerns me in two ways... 1) his pants will be too short and 2) they are frigging expensive (all the ones I've seen are like $100 for the body only.....that's too much for me after dropping $220 on this guy already).

Another option I've heard is the Obitsu 27cm slim type body (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Obitsu-dol...472904?hash=item3f9e38f688:g:nMYAAOSwpFda4GH~), which does in fact look promising, both in size and price. The issue / concern I have here is the neck. I've read the RAH feet/hands can be used in this body, but if you look at the pics of Light, his neck is different and in the slim Obitsu body the neck is part of the figure, so 1) how do I mod that or what can I do to make Light's head fit on that and 2) will I lose maneuverability since the neck is static on the Obitsu whereas on the RAH it moves all around, allowing you to move his head up/down and all sorts of directions.

So...I guess I'm looking for other options aside from the two above, cheaper options for the True type if that's the way to go, or how to make the Obitsu work for RAH if that's the way to go (i.e. specifically the neck).

Any advice or direction on articles that already addresses this is much appreciated!

Thanks all!!
Stacy

I have a spare for a rah body (original)

still have the tight joints

If you are interested pm me
c18e19d02da19b377d14715aaf7b2348.jpg

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

Hello!

So, I have a RAH Light Yagami from Death Note. I bought him used for about $220 shipped and as soon as I took him out of the box and started moving him around his left shoulder fell apart. So....as I went to remove his clothes to inspect more closely, his right shoulder fell apart. By fell apart I mean the joints had deteriorated and crumbled, literally causing the arm to fall off.

I found this article on how to fix RAH joints:

https://figurefixer.blogspot.com/2015/11/repairing-one-of-those-pesky-broken-rah.html

So, Light underwent surgery on both shoulders and now they are attached and function...mostly. The issue is they are a bit loose, so he cannot support his own arms when they are above his head. I can move him around and pose him, but his arms don't like to hold, and again...if they go up, they tend to want to just fall back down.

So...long story short I'm done with the attempted repairs, as I think the area is just too far gone to fix it, and this is as good as it gets. So, now I want to just replace his entire body and give him the wonderful poseability he should have, but that I've yet to enjoy with him (I have other RAH's so I know they can be wonderful...when in working condition).

Now that leads me to my final question...what are some good replacement body options for the RAH body? Here is a link to a blog I did on another site that has lots of pics of Light's original RAH body and measurements (https://myfigurecollection.net/blog/40158) - the pics of Light are under the spoiler tags there. He is a slender body, so I don't think most of the ones I can find on eBay will work, as their shoulders look too broad (his pants have to fit around his waste..as they are snug already...and the jacket is pretty much perfect across the shoulders so something larger likely wouldn't work).

I have read that the Hot Toys True Type slim (??) is a good option, but can tend to be a little taller than a RAH body. That concerns me in two ways... 1) his pants will be too short and 2) they are frigging expensive (all the ones I've seen are like $100 for the body only.....that's too much for me after dropping $220 on this guy already).

Another option I've heard is the Obitsu 27cm slim type body (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Obitsu-dol...472904?hash=item3f9e38f688:g:nMYAAOSwpFda4GH~), which does in fact look promising, both in size and price. The issue / concern I have here is the neck. I've read the RAH feet/hands can be used in this body, but if you look at the pics of Light, his neck is different and in the slim Obitsu body the neck is part of the figure, so 1) how do I mod that or what can I do to make Light's head fit on that and 2) will I lose maneuverability since the neck is static on the Obitsu whereas on the RAH it moves all around, allowing you to move his head up/down and all sorts of directions.

So...I guess I'm looking for other options aside from the two above, cheaper options for the True type if that's the way to go, or how to make the Obitsu work for RAH if that's the way to go (i.e. specifically the neck).

Any advice or direction on articles that already addresses this is much appreciated!

Thanks all!!
Stacy

you can buy the newer RAH base body. they have been improved and also stand taller. normal 1/6 bodies maybe too bulky and the head may not fit well.

you can buy the newer RAH base body. they have been improved and also stand taller. normal 1/6 bodies maybe too bulky and the head may not fit well.

Hey Potato!

Thanks for the response. I'm assuming you're maybe referencing the RAH Massive and Naked 2 bodies that are sold separately? If so, do you know the best place to buy those? The lighter skin tone on the Naked 2 looks like it should work, but everywhere I look these are sold out (like AmiAmi used to have these and they were under $30), and the only places I can still find them are on Ebay and/or Yahoo JP and such and folks are asking like $60 or more (before shipping). I can buy actual RAH character figures for $60-$70, so I'd rather not spend that much on just the body......but also understand if that's my ONLY option.

Anyway, thanks so much for the info!

Stacy

Hey Potato!

Thanks for the response. I'm assuming you're maybe referencing the RAH Massive and Naked 2 bodies that are sold separately? If so, do you know the best place to buy those? The lighter skin tone on the Naked 2 looks like it should work, but everywhere I look these are sold out (like AmiAmi used to have these and they were under $30), and the only places I can still find them are on Ebay and/or Yahoo JP and such and folks are asking like $60 or more (before shipping). I can buy actual RAH character figures for $60-$70, so I'd rather not spend that much on just the body......but also understand if that's my ONLY option.

Anyway, thanks so much for the info!

Stacy

try Japanese 2nd hand online stores.

or, if you can figure out which RAH Figure is using the updated body, maybe you can really get a Full Figure for $60-$70, take the body and recoup some cost selling the extra accessories. i figure newer figures should be using new body though the neck joint might be slightly different.

try Japanese 2nd hand online stores.

or, if you can figure out which RAH Figure is using the updated body, maybe you can really get a Full Figure for $60-$70, take the body and recoup some cost selling the extra accessories. i figure newer figures should be using new body though the neck joint might be slightly different.

Ok, yeah I'll try to find out when they changed the bodies, so I can look for RAH figures made after that...as I'd assume any after that point would be using the updated body....

Anyway, thanks so much for the advice! :D

Ok, yeah I'll try to find out when they changed the bodies, so I can look for RAH figures made after that...as I'd assume any after that point would be using the updated body....

Anyway, thanks so much for the advice! :D

tricky part is i don't know when they updated the bodies. maybe there's a model number on the updated naked body so you can check the manufacturing year and maybe get figures released after those years? or just get the latest & cheapest RAH figure you can.

do note some have special body, taller, muscular, neck maybe different so best is buy something standard.

tricky part is i don't know when they updated the bodies. maybe there's a model number on the updated naked body so you can check the manufacturing year and maybe get figures released after those years? or just get the latest & cheapest RAH figure you can.

do note some have special body, taller, muscular, neck maybe different so best is buy something standard.

Yeah I'm watching a couple of auctions for some slim RAH bodies that I think would work. I also just went ahead and ordered the slim Obitsu body...I think I can get the neck to work out with some minor tweaks and I've read good things about those bodies.

I think I also read that RAH changed the bodies sometime in 2011, so I think if you shoot for figures made in 2012 or after you'll likely be scoring the newer body. But yeah, that's what I've also been doing, checking sites for cheap RAH's and if I find any, seeing if they were released after 2012. I'm watching a few of those too, but haven't made a purchase on those just yet.

Thanks so much for the advice though...very helpful!! :D

Yeah I'm watching a couple of auctions for some slim RAH bodies that I think would work. I also just went ahead and ordered the slim Obitsu body...I think I can get the neck to work out with some minor tweaks and I've read good things about those bodies.

I think I also read that RAH changed the bodies sometime in 2011, so I think if you shoot for figures made in 2012 or after you'll likely be scoring the newer body. But yeah, that's what I've also been doing, checking sites for cheap RAH's and if I find any, seeing if they were released after 2012. I'm watching a few of those too, but haven't made a purchase on those just yet.

Thanks so much for the advice though...very helpful!! :D

the problem with the neck is, even with medicom they have head with neck & head without. medicom's neck are smaller than standard 1/6, so most bodies would be too thick for neckless head, and while you can mod head with neck to fit, the gap between the neck & shoulder would be big.

the mask riders work because the neck is thicker (and most came with scarf), but their human neck is smaller.

how much are the Obitsu?

the problem with the neck is, even with medicom they have head with neck & head without. medicom's neck are smaller than standard 1/6, so most bodies would be too thick for neckless head, and while you can mod head with neck to fit, the gap between the neck & shoulder would be big.

the mask riders work because the neck is thicker (and most came with scarf), but their human neck is smaller.

how much are the Obitsu?

Well the Obitsu slim body is pretty ..well slim, LOL. Including the neck, so while the connection may be an issue, I'm less worried about the size of the neck as the Obitsu slim's neck actually looks a little smaller than the RAH neck, no way, but a little bit anyway.

Here is Light Yagami's original RAH body:

tumblr_p9eslufpXg1wir94wo10_1280.jpg

Here is an Obitsu body / neck:

27BD-M03W_1.jpg

Depending on where you buy them, you can get the Obitsu for anywhere from $25-$35 shipped. They can be found on Ebay as well as this site (but I don't think site sells the muscle version, only the slim) - https://paraboxshop.jp/index_en_jpy_142-147.html. I ordered mine from Ebay, but then someone referred me to this site, so next time I'll likely get it from there. I've heard very positive things about the Obitsu body too...so fingers crossed!

Just an update....I did a body swap on the Obitsu...it works, but is not ideal. The head attaches and can be posed left/right, etc... But while it is firmly attached, it does not "sit" firmly. It's a bit wobbly. Light's clothes also fit a bit looser, not really noticeable, but if you're me, you notice. LOL. So in other words if it's my ONLY option it will do over a body with 2 arms and one leg missing, but I'd like to try to find something that's a better fit longer term. I posted another article, as now my issue is not just Light...but I just got in a Ginko RAH from the Mushi-shi anime and the day I got him his right arm fell off. *cries* So .. now I need two replacement bodies. *sigh*

I can find RAH figures for $50 or so, but the problem is the ones that are $50-60 are the old-ass figures, meaning they likely have the EXACT same issue! I can't seem to find anything 2011 or newer that's not $100 or more, which makes that as a body replacement option EXPENSIVE as f#$%!! I mean what if those break....now I'm in another $100 JUST on a replacement body.... ugh. Dammit medicom you should make just a body to sell for collector's to fix your jacked up **** (Like the RAH 301, but newer....).

Just an update....I did a body swap on the Obitsu...it works, but is not ideal. The head attaches and can be posed left/right, etc... But while it is firmly attached, it does not "sit" firmly. It's a bit wobbly. Light's clothes also fit a bit looser, not really noticeable, but if you're me, you notice. LOL. So in other words if it's my ONLY option it will do over a body with 2 arms and one leg missing, but I'd like to try to find something that's a better fit longer term. I posted another article, as now my issue is not just Light...but I just got in a Ginko RAH from the Mushi-shi anime and the day I got him his right arm fell off. *cries* So .. now I need two replacement bodies. *sigh*

I can find RAH figures for $50 or so, but the problem is the ones that are $50-60 are the old-ass figures, meaning they likely have the EXACT same issue! I can't seem to find anything 2011 or newer that's not $100 or more, which makes that as a body replacement option EXPENSIVE as f#$%!! I mean what if those break....now I'm in another $100 JUST on a replacement body.... ugh. Dammit medicom you should make just a body to sell for collector's to fix your jacked up **** (Like the RAH 301, but newer....).

is there any gap between the neck. if it's just loose put some bluetac inside the neck.

Well you can kind of see the issue here....

tumblr_padn9euJ5y1wir94wo1_1280.jpg

The RAH neck is rounded at the end, and the head sits on it and pivots and moves around. The rounded end supports the head and keeps it from wobbling. The obitsu neck is smaller and is hollow (as the peg just runs out of the end), so the head doesn't really sit flush on a rounded area it can pivot on.

You can kind of see in the below too, that there's not really a lot of "open" space in the head, its just sort of concave there so it can sit on top of the normal neck.

tumblr_pac5yf2ugr1wir94wo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_pac5yf2ugr1wir94wo10_1280.jpg

Back