SilentSurfer's Laboratory: Come up to the Lab & See What's on the Slab.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

I’m sorry for the lack of communications for the last few weeks. I'm pretty sure some of you are wondering WTF?!?

I’ve been away to take care of some of my family, and I had a breakdown afterwards. I’m back, and I’m resuming on part-time basis.

I see that there are many emails and finished projects here that are waiting to be shipped out. I’m sorry for the delay in contacting you for these. I’ll be contacting with the owners of the finished projects first, and focus on getting them back to the owners ASAP.

Nathan has been filling in for me for the communications. I’ll do my best to catch up with these, and get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for bearing with the long wait.

Great to know that everything is alright, and maybe has one Dexter in the middle of the finished works ;) hehe

Hi everyone,

I’m sorry for the lack of communications for the last few weeks. I'm pretty sure some of you are wondering WTF?!?

I’ve been away to take care of some of my family, and I had a breakdown afterwards. I’m back, and I’m resuming on part-time basis.

I see that there are many emails and finished projects here that are waiting to be shipped out. I’m sorry for the delay in contacting you for these. I’ll be contacting with the owners of the finished projects first, and focus on getting them back to the owners ASAP.

Nathan has been filling in for me for the communications. I’ll do my best to catch up with these, and get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for bearing with the long wait.

I know what to expect from SilentSurfer's Lab, and I'm never worried by lack of communication. If it was another artist.... Wish I could say the same. The professionalism with you two is great. No worries here.

Hi everyone,

Great news! Hope everything is ok

Hi everyone,

Welcome back Fumi! Hope all is well!

That Flash Gordon is ****ing incredible!
Both the sculpt and surfers paint work are absolutely top notch.:clap:clap
Amazing stuff.

Hi everyone,

I knew something was up with Igor and just so glad to hear she is back! Sorry to hear about the drama and breakdown, but I certainly hope all is better now and returning somewhat back to some normalcy. Never worried about my items with you guys, and always more concerned with how you both are doing first! Welcome back, Igor! :1-1:

Glad all is well you two are a class act on this board. Will be contacting u real soon to bless another head sculpt for me.

To any sculptors reading this, the eyelid shape and eyeball contour are vitally important, more than you might think, to getting realistic expression out of sculpts. Please spend the majority of your time on that as I spend the majority of my time painting the eyes. I just spent 2 solid hours mapping the irises on two different heads (X2 each) because I had to fight eyelid shape (which determines what expressions are even possible) and eyeball contour (which can really make it an f'ing pain in the butt to make an iris look properly rounded and appear to be LOOKING in the same direction as the other eye).

Here's a tip: Some sculptors do not sculpt the eyeball shape, but instead start by using small ball bearings in the eye socket, and then sculpt eyelids over that. Also, don't make your eyelids so deep around the eyeball. Look at somebody's real eyelids. There's not really any recession between eyelid and ball at all, nor in the corners.

Digital sculptors can disregard this. You guys are rockin' it so far. Just keep cleaning up your outputs REALLY WELL before casting them. Printer tracks suck.

Thanks you.

Last edited:
An artist isn't just somebody who has good technique with the ability to manipulate clay or paint or pencil. An artist should also be able to see what's NOT good about his work, and be able to adjust it until there is NOTHING NOT good about it. It's not about seeing it in a way that pleases you, convincing yourself that it's better than it is. It's about looking for anything that displeases you, wanting to find the flaw before somebody else does. If you think something might be wrong, don't quit because it's a lot of work to fix. FIX IT. Your reputation is based on your work, and once your work leaves your hands, it's chiseled in stone. FIX IT! Leave no room for anybody to point out a mistake. If they do, FIX IT!!!

Damn, Leia must be acting like a real *****...If anyone can make her mind, it's you.

Nathan,
What can we use to cover up a small shinny smuge on the nose of a sculpt. The sculpt is a caucasian skin color?

An artist isn't just somebody who has good technique with the ability to manipulate clay or paint or pencil. An artist should also be able to see what's NOT good about his work, and be able to adjust it until there is NOTHING NOT good about it. It's not about seeing it in a way that pleases you, convincing yourself that it's better than it is. It's about looking for anything that displeases you, wanting to find the flaw before somebody else does. If you think something might be wrong, don't quit because it's a lot of work to fix. FIX IT. Your reputation is based on your work, and once your work leaves your hands, it's chiseled in stone. FIX IT! Leave no room for anybody to point out a mistake. If they do, FIX IT!!!

2y90o_zps559fd64c.jpg

I've used Testors Dullcote to kill sheen on 1/6 stuff, it does the trick. Just make sure you mix the stuff really well. :lecture

To any sculptors reading this, the eyelid shape and eyeball contour are vitally important, more than you might think, to getting realistic expression out of sculpts. Please spend the majority of your time on that as I spend the majority of my time painting the eyes. I just spent 2 solid hours mapping the irises on two different heads (X2 each) because I had to fight eyelid shape (which determines what expressions are even possible) and eyeball contour (which can really make it an f'ing pain in the butt to make an iris look properly rounded and appear to be LOOKING in the same direction as the other eye).

Here's a tip: Some sculptors do not sculpt the eyeball shape, but instead start by using small ball bearings in the eye socket, and then sculpt eyelids over that. Also, don't make your eyelids so deep around the eyeball. Look at somebody's real eyelids. There's not really any recession between eyelid and ball at all, nor in the corners.

Digital sculptors can disregard this. You guys are rockin' it so far. Just keep cleaning up your outputs REALLY WELL before casting them. Printer tracks suck.

Thanks you.

You tell em Nathan:stick

Back