Sideshow's Dinosauria Styracosaurus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about that last night. My girlfriend wouldn't allow me near the computer for any longer than to pre-order the maquette. I was hoping that she would fall asleep first and then I'd be able to get online, but having to be at work for 8:00 this morning at least afforded me the ability to wake up far before her.

Anyway, to the animal at hand...

...the skulls of Ceratopsians are quite deceiving. But, they do their "job", making the animal look larger then life, and spectacular. In all actuality, the "frill" of the Styracosaurus is mainly open space. There are two large voids within the frill. This is one of the reasons paleontologists have come to the educated assumption that the frill was used for display rather then protection. If a large theropod got a lock on it with it's powerful jaws, it would have probably snapped.
As for the neck...well as much as it might not look "right".....science shows otherwise. Personally I love the stretched out pose...as if he just caught a scent in the air...."what is that?, friend...or foe".
AWESOME piece!
A great addition on the site is the "Back Story". Easy to miss, so I have reposted it below:

"After losing his last rut, he has been relegated to protect the periphery of the herd. Still a useful position, but also dangerous. The more skillful bucks in the center of the herd always get the first pick of the females. For now he will do the best he can, and prove his worth. His horns and head are thick with keratin, still a sign of virility. During the rut he can flush blood to his frill and horns to create a magnificent display. Perhaps this year he was too eager to show off his colors and forgot to work on the skills that turn battling male styracosaurs into clattering warriors as they lock horns. Instead of mating with his favorite female, he now patrols far from the herd to issue low warnings that only his species can perceive.

Now the eggs are hatching, and rather than sit back and sulk, he will prove his worth in this most crucial of times. Already he has mortally wounded a young tyrannosaur and intercepted a big varanid lizard. But he fears today is different. The chirping of the hatchlings has brought the clever Troondonts to gather in a pack in the sea of cattails before him. Their keen intelligence is daunting to a simple creature such as himself, and its good to have a keen sense of smell in times like these.

He lifts his head high, shaking his massive rack of horns and lurches forward at the oncoming rush of raptors. One group attempts to confuse him while the other slips by! With one massive sweep of his head, he sends two of the raptors high in the air. They land of the group passing by his flank, shattering delicate limbs. A quick stomping on their tangled torsos makes quick work of them. Without missing a beat he turn towards the others and lurches forward in a mock attack. They disappear into the swamp like a blur, leaving nothing but feathers behind. He surveys the scene, fills his lungs with air and give a low rumble. The females hear. Their children are once again safe."

It doesn't get any better!

T-Mex

True with our friend Styracosaurus here, but not all ceratopsians by a long shot. Styracosaurus had an extremely light skull for a ceratopsian. Compare it to another marginocephalian such as Triceratops, and you see a very different animal altogether. The bone in the crest of Triceratops is much more heavily ossified than Styracosaurus even at a younger age, which we know not only from a lack of crestal fenestra, but from cross-sections of bone that have Styracosaurid skulls much more heavily perforated with larger blood vessels than that of Triceratops. Quite plainly, the Styracosaurus had a much lighter skull and in all probability used it for sexually dimorphic ornamentation as well as a threat display both to predators and conspecifics.

For conspecifics, this animal would have been able to show that it was capable of expending the energy for the ornate ornamentation, while still having enough left for the rigors of daily existence in its late Cretaceous world, one which was abundant with threats. For female Styracosaurs this would have indicated the male to be fecund, and also capable of producing viable offspring that would likely share their parent's genetic strengths; a hearty parent = hearty offspring for a harsh world that doesn't forgive weakness. For males... well, the display would indeed have made the animal a threat, but different species respond to this characteristic in different ways. In some species of parrot, other males pay deference to the most ornate male without challenge, but in many, many other species both of birds and reptiles, the most ornate is viewed as a very real threat, and treated as not a superior but a combatant because of this dimorphism. To say it more simply, the vibrancy can display to other males of the same species that this is a male which cannot be ignored and must be dealt with rather quickly before he has the opportunity to steal away females.

As to the coloration, I ADORE it!!!!! Aside from all of the reasons implicit above, mainly my fervor is because the aposematism is so extremely stark. Again, this was an animal that relied on ornamentation as much as combat to survive. Take a good, hard look at that color. The animal has a hide that would blend in extremely well with its surroundings, affording it excellent camouflage in heavy undergrowth, but it still manages to maintain this vibrancy when needed to make it stand out. So many extant organisms share this very same trait, and what I love to see the most is the two large spots in the crest that are the same color as the Styracosaur's eyes. This makes a predator second-guess where and how it should launch its attack. Thanks to cephalization, most organisms have a wide range of crucial organs situated in the head, and invariably you'll find time and again that a predator will launch its attack toward the head in an effort to quickly disable the prey organism in question. The situation of the warning coloration on the frill deters predation in several ways. The Styracosaurus appears larger than it really is, raising the proposed "head" higher off the ground to be more intimidating, but also to situate it right amidst a bloom of dangerous horns when in reality the head is situated a bit lower and when a predator is focused on the top of the crest its attention is diverted away from saber-like horn sitting atop the beak. It's an elegant system of defense, and one which is captured so very, very well here, all thanks to the choice of color scheme.

Lastly I will touch on the pose, since I have to be getting to work. It conveys a sense of regality in this animal. It isn't the largest in its environment, but seems so very confident that it doesn't have to be large in order to be powerful. It seems extremely self-assure, possessed of a proud demeanor characteristic of many of the more dangerous herbivores today. It is truly breathtaking.

So much thought went into this singular piece, as it seems to for each and every Dinosauria statue that SS continues to make. Well done, gents. Truly well done. :rock:chew:rock It'll be a long night for the girlfriend at work, so hopefully I'll get on with a good time window to talk about this some more! :lol

Once again an amazing piece.
This line looks fantastic !

I have all exclusived ordered and hope they will continue this line for a long time, even thought for the moment it doesn't seem like a big seller ...

i dunno but theres somethin i find a lil offabout this piece,great olours great pose,its prolly the neck which i think is a wee bit too long and the face which looks like a botox job gone horribly wrong!

sorry but i thought this piece would turn out better.....nuff said

They sure are pumping these out. Has the first one even been shipped out yet?

A dio I may get is of raptors on top of a ripped open dino carcass. Entitle it "The Feast".

They sure are pumping these out. Has the first one even been shipped out yet?

A dio I may get is of raptors on top of a ripped open dino carcass. Entitle it "The Feast".

The first ones are suppose to ship end of July-ish. I would also like to see some winged animals in this line as well as sea dwelling animals.

Chris

True with our friend Styracosaurus here, but not all ceratopsians by a long shot. Styracosaurus had an extremely light skull for a ceratopsian. Compare it to another marginocephalian such as Triceratops, and you see a very different animal altogether. The bone in the crest of Triceratops is much more heavily ossified than Styracosaurus even at a younger age, which we know not only from a lack of crestal fenestra, but from cross-sections of bone that have Styracosaurid skulls much more heavily perforated with larger blood vessels than that of Triceratops. Quite plainly, the Styracosaurus had a much lighter skull and in all probability used it for sexually dimorphic ornamentation as well as a threat display both to predators and conspecifics.

For conspecifics, this animal would have been able to show that it was capable of expending the energy for the ornate ornamentation, while still having enough left for the rigors of daily existence in its late Cretaceous world, one which was abundant with threats. For female Styracosaurs this would have indicated the male to be fecund, and also capable of producing viable offspring that would likely share their parent's genetic strengths; a hearty parent = hearty offspring for a harsh world that doesn't forgive weakness. For males... well, the display would indeed have made the animal a threat, but different species respond to this characteristic in different ways. In some species of parrot, other males pay deference to the most ornate male without challenge, but in many, many other species both of birds and reptiles, the most ornate is viewed as a very real threat, and treated as not a superior but a combatant because of this dimorphism. To say it more simply, the vibrancy can display to other males of the same species that this is a male which cannot be ignored and must be dealt with rather quickly before he has the opportunity to steal away females.

As to the coloration, I ADORE it!!!!! Aside from all of the reasons implicit above, mainly my fervor is because the aposematism is so extremely stark. Again, this was an animal that relied on ornamentation as much as combat to survive. Take a good, hard look at that color. The animal has a hide that would blend in extremely well with its surroundings, affording it excellent camouflage in heavy undergrowth, but it still manages to maintain this vibrancy when needed to make it stand out. So many extant organisms share this very same trait, and what I love to see the most is the two large spots in the crest that are the same color as the Styracosaur's eyes. This makes a predator second-guess where and how it should launch its attack. Thanks to cephalization, most organisms have a wide range of crucial organs situated in the head, and invariably you'll find time and again that a predator will launch its attack toward the head in an effort to quickly disable the prey organism in question. The situation of the warning coloration on the frill deters predation in several ways. The Styracosaurus appears larger than it really is, raising the proposed "head" higher off the ground to be more intimidating, but also to situate it right amidst a bloom of dangerous horns when in reality the head is situated a bit lower and when a predator is focused on the top of the crest its attention is diverted away from saber-like horn sitting atop the beak. It's an elegant system of defense, and one which is captured so very, very well here, all thanks to the choice of color scheme.

Lastly I will touch on the pose, since I have to be getting to work. It conveys a sense of regality in this animal. It isn't the largest in its environment, but seems so very confident that it doesn't have to be large in order to be powerful. It seems extremely self-assure, possessed of a proud demeanor characteristic of many of the more dangerous herbivores today. It is truly breathtaking.

WOW Scar you sure do know a lot about Dinosaurs.

I have been reading your posts in other dinosauria related threads and really know your stuff! I think its awesome!

How do you know so much about these animals?

i dunno but theres somethin i find a lil offabout this piece,great olours great pose,its prolly the neck which i think is a wee bit too long and the face which looks like a botox job gone horribly wrong!

sorry but i thought this piece would turn out better.....nuff said

:lol:rotfl:lol You said that about the T.rex piece as well. I'd say either give it time and I'm sure it will grow on you as the T.rex did, or perhaps you just find the way dinosaurs most likely appeared to be awkward. They are extraordinary and even bizarre in appearance, so it's not outlandish. Hell, if you've ever really thought about it, lobsters and crabs look like horrible science fiction monsters by most standards. They truly are grotesque but cool little creatures. Just throwing that out there.

The pose is that of an alert animal. People often gawk and laugh and say, "Oh how cute" when they see a lone meerkat standing on its hind legs on the top of a dirt mound. "Aw, they look just like people!"... when in reality that organism is standing guard, elevating itself so as to have the best possible view of its terrain in a wonderful display of altruism to alert the rest of its clan to possible predators at the expense of its own safety... which includes guarding against avian raptors that regularly take meerkats as prey. Kangaroos do a similar activity to guard against being killed by Wedge-tailed eagles, raptors with eight foot wingspans which regularly feed upon kangaroos, yet these alert postures seem out of place to the casual onlooker. The point being, this Styracosaurus is a sentry, a concept that I'm very glad they chose. The pose, as said, is not one of a fearful creature, but one that is proud, alert, and extremely vibrant. The posture selected in this particular piece evinces that confidence as well as showcases the brilliant color choice.

T

Well now that would surely sell. I wouldn't be surprised to see a mass feeding. We see so many fossil beds resultant of prehistoric death traps. One animal gets trapped in the mud and others flock whether to aid (if the animal is of a gregarious species) or feed - as is always the case, the distress call from one species is the dinner bell for a multitude of others. I think it's probably extremely likely that we'd see a piece like this. Say, for example, Carcharodontosaurs, Spinosaurs, and perhaps Bahariasaurs attracted to a kill site by a mired Aegyptosaurus. That would be nice, but that's just me dreaming out loud. :D

Once again an amazing piece.
This line looks fantastic !

I have all exclusived ordered and hope they will continue this line for a long time, even thought for the moment it doesn't seem like a big seller ...

What I actually like about this line is that they aren't giving it a week to close the pre-orders on the exclusives, that we have a solid cap set fairly quickly. With a low ES we have a much greater degree of quality control and have the type of product as a result that we received with the diorama, thankfully. If anything, I believe this line to be a dream come true for SS, and since it's their baby, they are doing their damnedest to make certain that these are the best dinosaur collectibles we could hope for, rather than worry about just peddling dino merchandise to as many consumers as they can. Few products of fine quality rather than a gross amount of subpar quality. I think it's that ratio of low quantity to high quality that is giving us EXACTLY what we want from this line! :rock

awesome post Scar!

btw, how do you see high res pics on the sideshow site again?

I usually find them on other sites, such as cooltoyreview.com, when the pics become available.

WOW Scar you sure do know a lot about Dinosaurs.

I have been reading your posts in other dinosauria related threads and really know your stuff! I think its awesome!

How do you know so much about these animals?

Glad to know I'm helping spread the dino love.

Animals, including dinosaurs, have been my life for my entire life. Most of what I read is bio and paleo literature. It's a lifetime hobby, though most I know would argue it dove past hobby, straight into obsession a looooong time ago. And proud of it! :banana

Animals, including dinosaurs, have been my life for my entire life. Most of what I read is bio and paleo literature. It's a lifetime hobby, though most I know would argue it dove past hobby, straight into obsession a looooong time ago. And proud of it! :banana

You should be proud of it, it's a justified obsession, a feature of an intelligent person. People who are not interested in biology and animal life are strange beings indeed.

If Sideshow does a raptor(s) maquette will they go with the feathered look?

I think once you read the backstory on this, you realize that its a snapshot of this beast with it hackles up as Scar alluded to, so it really is a dynamic as opposed to a static pose.

Now if SS did some smaller theropods of the sickle clawed dromaeosaur variety, in some confrontational dio over a kill, that would be awesome. Maybe show them 'mantling' as birds of prey do when being challenged with their proto-feathers up.

You should be proud of it, it's a justified obsession, a feature of an intelligent person. People who are not interested in biology and animal life are strange beings indeed.

Given that the backstory mentions the raptors leaving behind feathers as they flee, I have a feeling they may indeed.

Thanks for the kind words, Wonder. We are most definitely an odd breed unto ourselves. I'd say our fixation with life beyond H. sapiens gives us a unique perspective on humanity as well. :banana

All of the more recent proof of how dromaeosaurids appeared points to feathering, so I'm sure SS would go with that approach. There they'll probably look to extant raptors as reference more than reptilians, reason being a lot of people simply have difficulty imagining dinosaurs with feathers, and find that it would remove any intimidation factor. I don't think anyone would dispute that a falcon plunging through the air after a songbird is a creature lacking in the intimidation department; so it seems raptors will be the point of reference for raptors. :D I would love to see them with feathers fully puffed and extended in a threat display or in agitation or excitement during an attack. Hell, one neat idea for a statue aside from Velociraptor vs. Protoceratops would be Velociraptor vs. Velociraptor. We have a well preserved Velociraptor skull that was crushed, having perforations throughout matching the teeth of another Velociraptor perfectly. It's an interesting concept, and it would allow for us to see the animal in a number of dynamic perspectives. Again, just a thought; but then I have innumerable ideas for the possibilities of this line, different species, and poses.

Sorry about that last night. My girlfriend wouldn't allow me near the computer for any longer than to pre-order the maquette. I was hoping that she would fall asleep first and then I'd be able to get online, but having to be at work for 8:00 this morning at least afforded me the ability to wake up far before her.

Anyway, to the animal at hand...

So much thought went into this singular piece, as it seems to for each and every Dinosauria statue that SS continues to make. Well done, gents. Truly well done. :rock:chew:rock It'll be a long night for the girlfriend at work, so hopefully I'll get on with a good time window to talk about this some more! :lol

I swear Scar, you should write a book man...With the knowledge you have I'm sure it would be nothing for you and I guarantee you will sell copies :)

Back