Statue Sideshow Weta Statue Opinions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernLadMSP

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wanted to create this thread to get some opinions/discussion on some of the Sideshow Weta LOTR pieces. Now, I know these are older pieces, and there is probably a dozen threads on some of them, but I am kind of interested in a few of the pieces and wanted to get some thoughts from you all.

I just started collecting LOTR within the month. I have the EX Dark Rider of Mordor PF, the Gollum PF, and then have Galadriel and Morgul Lord arriving on Tuesday.

However, I am interested in some of the Weta pieces as well, mainly a few of the villains.

Sauron, Morgul Lord, Witch King, RWOS, Saruman and the King of the Dead are some pieces I really like. I also think Gandalf on Shadowfax is pretty cool too.

Are these pieces worth getting? If so, what kind of money are they going for now?

Any thoughts/pictures/discussion would be appreciated.

King of the Dead can be picked up very easily for around £100 or less and is a solid addition to a collection. The detailing is excellent and well worth picking up :lecture

They're totally worth getting. A lot of them can be had fairly cheap so that's a plus and its also a plus since they're great pieces. Sauron is a huge statue and highly detailed. It's going to be an eye catcher in a collection and I think it with the PF will make for a great pair. I think the Morgul Lord is a better piece than the Witch-king statue from this line. I was just never a big fan of the true form from the SSW line but its a nice piece all the same.

Saruman and the RWOS are two of the absolute best pieces in this line. They both capture perfectly the evil in Middle-earth. If anyone pieces is perfect within the SSW line it's going to be the RWOS statue. They're two of the more expensive pieces but worth getting if you have the coin.

They're totally worth getting. A lot of them can be had fairly cheap so that's a plus and its also a plus since they're great pieces. Sauron is a huge statue and highly detailed. It's going to be an eye catcher in a collection and I think it with the PF will make for a great pair. I think the Morgul Lord is a better piece than the Witch-king statue from this line. I was just never a big fan of the true form from the SSW line but its a nice piece all the same.

Saruman and the RWOS are two of the absolute best pieces in this line. They both capture perfectly the evil in Middle-earth. If anyone pieces is perfect within the SSW line it's going to be the RWOS statue. They're two of the more expensive pieces but worth getting if you have the coin.

Do you have any pics you could post? I've seen quite a few of ML, RWOS and Sauron, but really can't seem to find any good in hand pics of Saruman.

I'm interested in these, because they do look pretty cool, but also because I think some of them may never make it to PF format (Saruman, Witch King in true form).

I'm sure I have some at home. I will want you when if I find them they're not the level of what I take now. I'll check it out in a bit.

Here are two shots I have found in my library, I hope they are some worth to you. The statue itself is defintely wonderful IMO.

image_zpsc4ec4d38.jpg

image_zps699310aa.jpg

Last edited:
He looks pretty cool. How's the likeness?

What do you guys think of the Gandalf on Shadowfax?

The likeness is really pretty good.

Its an impressive piece and will take some room up in a display. You can pick it up for a pretty fair price.

I'd just check completed auctions on ebay and see what they're selling for. We used to use a great auction tracker site but it quit being accurate a long time ago.

Ok I'll do some research online.

One more question. What are your thoughts on Gandalf on Shadowfax?

Its a good piece. I think it really does a great job of showing GTW power during the Helm's Deep sequence. The likeness on Gandalf is pretty good but the horse is really impressive.

Those are all great pieces, I take it in general your only after the 'bad guys', as there are also some fantastic ones to be had from the good guys.

For example here's an old one I only just recently took some new photo's of:

Galahdrim Archer by theguru1, on Flickr

At least the one advantage of looking into the old SSW line now, is that you can see the total of all that was produced and pick the ones that you want. Downside is that the best ones will likely cost you more and be a bit harder to find.

For a complete list of all SSW items and others, you may want to get a copy of: https://www.wetanz.com/the-collector-s-guide-2011/

Ok I'll do some research online.

One more question. What are your thoughts on Gandalf on Shadowfax?

The SSW Gandalf on Shadowfax is a great piece :rock IMHO, Lad. :wave

000_0001.jpg

I afraid I don't have any other pics of mine, but I must say – I really love it. :love

He does come up on ebay quite a lot and you may be able to pick it up for quite a good price. :wink1:

My advice is...go for it...I don't think you would regret it. :hi5:

Thanks Bill! I think I'm mostly interested in the bad guys, because IMO, they look pretty spot on to the movies.

I have seen pics of some of the heroes, and again, IMO only, the likenesses are really far off.

Plus, another reason I was kind of thinking about some of these pieces, is because I tend to think some of them will never be done in PF format. Namely the Witch King in true form, Saruman and the King of the Dead.

Thanks Bill! I think I'm mostly interested in the bad guys, because IMO, they look pretty spot on to the movies.

I have seen pics of some of the heroes, and again, IMO only, the likenesses are really far off.

Plus, another reason I was kind of thinking about some of these pieces, is because I tend to think some of them will never be done in PF format. Namely the Witch King in true form, Saruman and the King of the Dead.

Never say never Lad. :wave

There is some word on the streets that a Saruman PF could happen. :yess:

Only time will tell. :impatient:

Back