Sideshow: The Clint Eastwood Legacy Collection (1:6 figures)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not apples to apples, you're never going to find a good comparison. Hot Toys doesn't have the infrastructure that Sideshow does. Hot Toys doesn't have a CS staff to answer your questions and respond to replacement inquiries, nor shipping and warehouse staff.

And while I believe that Threezero does have CS staff, it is likely tiny compared to Sideshow. They simply don't have the size. And their sculpts are hit and miss, just like Sideshow, so I don't see the argument there.

On top of that Threezero and Hot Toys aren't paying for overseas shipping when they manufacture product. When Sideshow product is produced they have to pay for container shipping to get it from China to the US warehouse, then ship out their individual orders.

You'll notice that the other "foreign' manufacturers, (non-Eastern, I don't know the best term) but companies like Sideshow, Mondo, Big Chief (RIP), Kaustic Plastik, all of their prices are comparatively higher than your similarly-scaled licensed counterparts. Which I believe is due the the fact that they're not located close to the factories and have to send representatives to monitor the factory progress, and aren't able to keep an eye on production in a cost-effective manner. Threezero and Hot Toys are located close to the factories so it is less expensive for them to station a representative to monitor production.

Further, you seem to not have a problem with Kaustic's $300 price tag for Chuck Norris and say it seems "appropriate", but seem upset by a $300 for Sideshow Clint Eastwood. I'm reasonably certain that Clint Eastwood wants a higher license fee than Chuck Norris, so again, I'm not terribly surprised that Clint Eastwood figures are more expensive.

And one other thing to keep in mind, I assume that the Clint Eastwood license is an additional cost on top of the movie license, e.g. Sideshow has to pay the movie studio to call the figure Blondie and put The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly on the box, and they have to pay Clint Eastwood as well. For Hot Toys, they are only paying Disney the license fee, they aren't paying the actor a fee as well. The Star Wars license includes "all" actor likenesses as well. There seems to be some debate that the Star Wars license no longer includes Harrison Ford, I find that fact debatable, but it's not relevant to this discussion.

Having said that, I'm reasonably certain that the total license fees for GBU and Clint Eastwood likeness put together is much higher than the total license fees for Missing in Action and the Chuck Norris likeness, if the likeness is not already included in the movie license rights, but considering the age of the movie, it likely does not include likeness rights.

And to reply to your recent post about Redman, saying that figure looks better. It's because it's a recast of a custom sculpt by iminime, it's not their work, it's just something they essentially stole from someone else. It's cheap because they didn't pay to develop the figure, and it looks good because they basically Xeroxed a figure that looked good to start off with.

For an example, I have a set of the Olly Moss Star Wars posters, there's a set on eBay now for $17k, which is an insane amount of money. I paid $150 for the set when they went on sale. But there are a ton of knock-off prints and scans. To me, it's really ****** that people are selling scanned versions of this artwork. Not that it devalues my set, but I just think it's ****** that people are profiting off work that they didn't create.

But in your case, it's like questioning why the posters cost $150, when I can just buy the posters on Estsy for $40.
Thank you, reality bites. It is my intention should I acquire further figures to look no further than those that are licensed, such self imposed parameters may control the collecting thirst.

While I don’t condone the ethics of Redman or knockoff recasts, one can argue they provide a useful service to the collecting community who either can’t afford the custom or cannot find the limited custom for sale.

It is also arguable that is unethical for artists to produce and profit from custom figures - they are not paying for the IP rights or actor likeness.

Ethics aside, I’m just glad we as collectors have options - I’ve been able to enjoy the Redman Clint Eastwood figures on display for almost a decade but can retire them (should I choose) now that I have the licensed Sideshow figures. I’ll probably keep both and pose them differently. :unsure:

Is shoplifting okay? If I can't afford an iPhone, is it okay for me to steal it from a store?

The organized crime rings that are stealing makeup and laundry detergent from CVS and Target, are those crime rings okay, since they're selling those stolen goods at lower prices to people that can't afford it? That's a useful service, right?

The ethics argument really gets under my skin, but what bothers me is when people start saying the recast is cheaper and better, without understanding why. It's absolutely cheating and not fair to the people who actually do the work. I will absolutely not defend recasting in anyway, it is unethical and illegal. I do not agree in any way that people 'deserve' something, if they can't afford it.

Recasters do NOT provide any useful service. These recasters have access to production facilities, they could absolutely produce their own unique figure, but they don't. They don't have the skill to sculpt or sew, so they just take someone else's work, and call it their own, and sell it. Just terrible.

Last edited:
Is shoplifting okay? If I can't afford an iPhone, is it okay for me to steal it from a store?

The organized crime rings that are stealing makeup and laundry detergent from CVS and Target, are those crime rings okay, since they're selling those stolen goods at lower prices to people that can't afford it? That's a useful service, right?

The ethics argument really gets under my skin, but what bothers me is when people start saying the recast is cheaper and better, without understanding why. It's absolutely cheating and not fair to the people who actually do the work. I will absolutely not defend recasting in anyway, it is unethical and illegal. I do not agree in any way that people 'deserve' something, if they can't afford it.

Recasters do NOT provide any useful service. These recasters have access to production facilities, they could absolutely produce their own unique figure, but they don't. They don't have the skill to sculpt or sew, so they just take someone else's work, and call it their own, and sell it. Just terrible.
All you have said is correct, it is straight to the point and refreshingly honest.

On the whole I agree with you and understand your point, but there’s a little more nuance to it than that.

I purchased the Redman High Plains Drifter figure but immediately discarded the headsculpt as I am using the Josey head. The clothes work and no one else is making that outfit at that scale anyways.

I’m not aware of any customizer who acquired the license to produce a Clint Eastwood figure - it’s just something we all sort of smile and give a pass on because the community is excited to have a artisanal figure. We’re all (silently) in on people making all types of customs and then selling them back to us - as a product.

Redman is shady and it’s lame what they do, and calling it theft is fair, so long as you acknowledge that ANY “third party” figure is, effectively, problematic according to the letter of the law.

Like all things in life there are many opinions most not wrong merely different. Sideshow's The OutlawJosey Wales is good for me, heck just visited my father in a residental care home or God's waiting room and I ain't religious. Everything is very good indeed.

This is by far the best in the series. I'm tempted to get a second, or at the very least parts to make another figure. The pleather makes me sad. It's not going to last.

On the whole I agree with you and understand your point, but there’s a little more nuance to it than that.

I purchased the Redman High Plains Drifter figure but immediately discarded the headsculpt as I am using the Josey head. The clothes work and no one else is making that outfit at that scale anyways.

I’m not aware of any customizer who acquired the license to produce a Clint Eastwood figure - it’s just something we all sort of smile and give a pass on because the community is excited to have a artisanal figure. We’re all (silently) in on people making all types of customs and then selling them back to us - as a product.

Redman is shady and it’s lame what they do, and calling it theft is fair, so long as you acknowledge that ANY “third party” figure is, effectively, problematic according to the letter of the law.
There is no nuance. The only nuance is from collectors who convince themselves buying these stolen knockoffs is ok, because they saved a buck. Save me the morality play,

This is by far the best in the series. I'm tempted to get a second, or at the very least parts to make another figure. The pleather makes me sad. It's not going to last.
Hello, Are you referring to Josey Wales jacket? If so I do not see it as plether but a mixed polyester, cotton materiaI, I could be wrong.

I have a spare head sculpt.

There is no nuance. The only nuance is from collectors who convince themselves buying these stolen knockoffs is ok, because they saved a buck. Save me the morality play.
Morality has nothing to do with this, it’s a question of ethics.

“Most collectors” aren’t trying to save a buck when they purchase a Redman knock-off of a 10 year old, super limited-run, unlicensed custom figure. Iminime created awesome stuff - just because he doesn’t do it at the scale of Redman doesn’t make him any less guilty of breaking the law.

If I decide to buy a Redman figure because I want the clothes or accessories, there is nothing wrong with that: morally or ethically. No one has the “right” to produce a gray trenchcoat or bullwhip or style of cowboy hat.

On the list of bad things in the world, recasting 1/6 scale figures isn't on it. I'm not interested in anything but getting the characters I want. These third party knockoffs are sometimes the only option, unless you wanna spend a ridiculous sum of money on a figure. I'm glad they exist.

The boys.

IMG_3147.jpeg

Back