Statue Sideshow Superman Chris Reeve PF 1/4 2020

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow did the exact same thing when they gave Matt Black two shots at sculpting the TDK Joker and he failed both times there too.
Yup that one too. I believe I mentioned that earlier in this thread as well. Such a shame two characters brought to life with iconic performances were left to someone who unfortunately just isn't quite there on human likeness
Does anyone have a list of statues Matt has sculpted? I googled matt black statue which didn't help lol just got a load of black statues. Am guessing he's good at comic/non-actor likenesses
I don't know any off hand, but I believe he's pretty good at non-human and comic characters

I think you can search the SS website by artist and see what he’s done that’s currently available. Though, it doesn’t differentiate on if he did the whole piece or just parts as sometimes they’ll have someone do the body and someone else do the headsculpt

Last edited:
I have look at every video out there right now of this at SDCC and trying to tell myself it’s just a bad angle or bad lighting or maybe a bad camera but I can’t anymore because it looks the same on every footage. Unfortunately this is looking like a fail and I have this on PO. Not sure what to do at this point.

Whats up with the blusher on his face? maybe its just poor paint....hopefully a master paint application will bring the sculpt out a bit better.....clutches at straws here as I want to be excited about having it on PO :/

I think what makes it somehow off is his eyebrow which is painted/sculpted too thick i guess.
other than that everything looks solid from the neck down... To those who have a limited budget and want a piece of Reeve statue in 1:4 scale, i think this might be the only option for now. Unless some company decided to make a 1:4 figure of him and that's a figure we're talking about.

1658916034820.png

Check all the coverage here

Last edited:
I cancelled it. I’m in a kind of in a financial pickle so can’t spend this money on something that’s not superior. If I just wanted superman I would’ve bought something else. Probably the Clark Kent taking of his suit. But I wanted Christopher Reeve and this looks like comicbook version of him. I think Trevor Grove would’ve nailed it.

I've got this on pre-order and I have no qualms about it. Reeve's likeness is a difficult one to capture in sculpture, for whatever reason. I definitely see Reeve in there, especially the profile. It's not perfect, but it's the best one I've seen so far from a major studio. Love the sculpt and base too. Classy.

I've got this on pre-order and I have no qualms about it. Reeve's likeness is a difficult one to capture in sculpture, for whatever reason. I definitely see Reeve in there, especially the profile. It's not perfect, but it's the best one I've seen so far from a major studio. Love the sculpt and base too. Classy.

Keeping mine too - I have my gripes but there's not that much Reeve merch on the market.

This SSC statue is relatively affordable compared to the rest of the 1/4 statue market, which can often reach past $1,000.

But honestly, I wouldn't mind if SSC charged $1,000 + if it meant they could hire better artists to create more accurate sculpts - some of the recent sculpts I've seen like the PRime 1 Black Adam (K.A. Kim?), nail the actor's likeness (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson).

I agree, I prefer the classier and more basic bases (like JND). While some of the more elaborate bases look cool (i.e. Prime 1), they are a space hog and sort of detract attention from the character.

Keeping mine too - I have my gripes but there's not that much Reeve merch on the market.

This SSC statue is relatively affordable compared to the rest of the 1/4 statue market, which can often reach past $1,000.

But honestly, I wouldn't mind if SSC charged $1,000 + if it meant they could hire better artists to create more accurate sculpts - some of the recent sculpts I've seen like the PRime 1 Black Adam (K.A. Kim?), nail the actor's likeness (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson).

I agree, I prefer the classier and more basic bases (like JND). While some of the more elaborate bases look cool (i.e. Prime 1), they are a space hog and sort of detract attention from the character.
Defo, let's be honest, it looks decent for the price. Some purists would have paid more for a better likeness/expression, but overall it'll sell, Sideshow have their market

With Sideshow‘s movie pieces, as they’re priced relatively low you essentially get that level of quality. Essentially you get what you pay for.

They’re good for creatures and helmeted/masked characters, but for anything else it’s like rolling the dice.

In those latter scenarios they are very hit and miss. Far more misses than hits, but when they’re hits, they’re a bargain.

I wonder what is going on with this piece...

Considering it is very close to shipping, I hope there is an update of the head sculpt soon...

E.

I think I might cancel it and get it on Sideshow Seconds next year. I'm not happy how it turned out and I want to see in hand photos before making a decision....

At this point it’s wishful thinking but I’m just sitting here hoping they fixed the face after SDCC. I would love to have a statue representation of Reeve in my collection.

Back