Statue Sideshow Superman Chris Reeve PF 1/4 2020

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on the current image, it would take a bit of work to rework the face sculpt.
It would be great if they rework the sculpt to be more accurate before production, but again the overall look of the figure still looks great.
I wish it would look more like this, though (again, this was just a rough photoshop with the same bad lighting.)
F70A0BA4-8B23-4F39-8EAF-152FB02A4E7A.jpeg

Last edited:
Does anyone know where we can watch the Microcon show? From photos, it seems like the lighting was trying to help mask the face sculpt :ohbfrank:

Can you share those reworked photos? Any chance Sideshow will take a look and adjust like other companies?

There?s an amazing Christopher Reeve Superman 3D bust made by JS-studio for free download that I?m reworking just in preparation for this statue. His looks like an older Reeve, but most of his features are done very well. I changed quite a bit of the proportions and I?ll be working on the eyebrow areas next.
Hopefully I will be finished by the time this statue comes. I just recently purchased an SLA 3D printer for my other projects, so I?ve been learning how to work it out while teaching myself to sculpt using Blender. Below is a sample print I did today just to see how this would look when I finalize the sculpt.

88E3D5CD-8ACC-4A21-ACBA-AC5F41EBFA62.jpeg
30120200-F8B4-4FD1-9E8C-A41053CC105B.jpeg

Here?s the original next to my rework in progress:
EEA87F4B-7088-4E42-AEA2-0B4C731BDBBC.jpeg

Test print:
94B56FFA-BE53-43BD-8A16-9637187030A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Still a few months away before this statue is supposed to ship out so I have a few more months to play around with a replacement sculpt.
I purchased a 19” Big Figs Superman to test out what a larger scale print would look like on a figure. I did a quick paint job and I think I’m almost there with the sculpt. It’s a challenge to take pics as the cast is translucent.
71236E0A-CE2A-444F-BDBB-58EAB24680F7.jpeg

I’m just hoping the Sideshow statue won’t need it, but at least I know I have the option to switch out the head.

The expression just looks a little awkward, it'll still have its market and some collectors will be happy with it I reckon

Funny how it's one of the only mixed media statues by sideshow in recent times, they used to be all about that but now are more sculpted

I can only imagine what JND or Queen could do with this character

Yup some folks will buy it and be happy with it. For me, I don't want to be negative but I think it's just the artist they chose to sculpt this. It's the same one that sculpted the first Reeve PF as well as both TDK Joker PF headsculpts. Unfortunately, he just can't cut the mustard with human likenesses IMO. He's great at monster type characters, but those 4 PFs of VERY iconic characters should've been given to a master portrait artist.

So I received two e-mails today.

The first:

We wanted to let you know that the estimated arrival date for your Superman: The Movie has changed. Based on the latest production information, we now expect your item to arrive into our warehouse in Jun-Aug 2022. We apologize for any inconvenience, but we do look forward to shipping out this item to you when it arrives. If you need to update any information on your order , you can do so easily through your online account.

The second:

Your Superman: The Movie item will be arriving into our warehouse earlier than anticipated. Your item is now expected to arrive in May-Jun 2022. If you have any questions or need to make adjustments to your order, you can do so through your online account.

giphy.gif

It has been delayed again.... Now it is Sept-Nov....I wonder if it has to do with shipping or to a rework on the likeness that have not been approved yet.... Either way, I hope the wait is worth it :)

I can wait. If it is refining the piece then it has to be worth it.

That being said it seems a lot is delayed, Snow speeder Luke has the same treatment.

I have been waiting forever for a decent 1/4 CR so a couple of extra months won't hurt, I have a spot reserved ready and waiting.

A pic of this on display at SDCC has surfaced and my initial thoughts are that it looks more like a Gary Frank comic inspired piece (who drew Superman with Chris Reeve features) rather than a PF based on Chris Reeve himself. Could just be the quality of the picture though as it isn’t the best. I saw it posted on Instagram by DC Gallary

6E466AEC-5609-4261-AA1F-9368A2FE8A4D.png

I probably sound like a broken record, but they really should've gotten a master portrait artist to sculpt the head on this piece. I mean no offense to Matt Black as I know he's a talented sculptor and really loves Christopher Reeve's Superman (if I remember correctly he even has a life cast of Reeve's face at his desk). But, for something as iconic as this, Sideshow should've contracted it out to someone else, especially given the pretty negative feedback the previous Reeve PF received which was also sculpted by Matt Black.

I probably sound like a broken record, but they really should've gotten a master portrait artist to sculpt the head on this piece. I mean no offense to Matt Black as I know he's a talented sculptor and really loves Christopher Reeve's Superman (if I remember correctly he even has a life cast of Reeve's face at his desk). But, for something as iconic as this, Sideshow should've contracted it out to someone else, especially given the pretty negative feedback the previous Reeve PF received which was also sculpted by Matt Black.

Sideshow did the exact same thing when they gave Matt Black two shots at sculpting the TDK Joker and he failed both times there too.

Does anyone have a list of statues Matt has sculpted? I googled matt black statue which didn't help lol just got a load of black statues. Am guessing he's good at comic/non-actor likenesses

Back