Sideshow Screws Us Big Time with Samaratin 2 !!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if they notify the people who ordered it in advance of the changes that are made. I don't really see a problem. You can keep it or cancel it.

I don't really understand why this had to be changed.

pretty obvious its manufacturing costs.
a wooden handle has to be hand crafted to specific size, stained and decals applied. Its not something that can just be routed out like a wood base, the contours arent uniform. Not big enough a run to warrant new machinery to be engineered to craft the handle.

much more cost effective to pour the handle into a mold and then faux finish.

I for one am very disappointed. The wood handle was part of what made this new Samaritan special. Yes I do think they should have let us know. I do flex pay for all of my bigger pieces so It's almost paid for. I still want it but I am very upset.

Last edited:
a wooden handle has to be hand crafted to specific size, stained and decals applied. Its not something that can just be routed out like a wood base, the contours arent uniform. Not big enough a run to warrant new machinery to be engineered to craft the handle.

That would be my guess... by not being wood they can also probably get a more uniform look across the line. Sure, real wood would have been preferrable, but I hardly think once it was laquered you'd be able to tell the difference.

As long as the gun remains metal I'll keep my order, if that changes to polystone then I'll most likely rethink the decision. Although, since I have the exclusive on order I might still keep it.

I for one am very disappointed. The wood handle was part of what made this new Samaritan special. Yes I do think they should have let us know. I do flex pay for all of my bigger pieces so It's almost paid for. I still want it but I am very upset.

See, that's why stuff like this really sucks. There are people who used Flexpay and Reward Points to order this. IMHO, those people should be given the option of cancelling and having their payments and RP refunded.

:rotfl Isn't that what R&D is all about!
But I'm pretty sure that there is plenty of machinery in China that can produce wooden grips for pistols.

But yea the cost likely increased or whatever excuse you want to use.
I emailed them.

Hmmmm. I too am disappointed, however environmentally speaking this is a good thing. I know Sideshow considers these issues a lot so maybe this is another reason they went this route.

Still think they should inform all their customers about the change. Most will mind. I do but I am not leaning towards canceling yet although some of the appeal of this item has been lost.

Sideshow's best bet in the future is to not list materials until they are 100% certain what will be used on the final product. This will save both the customer and the company a lot of hassle.

Did you heard, now the Big baby'material has been officially announced: They will use papier maché....:duh

I'm sure Dave hates thread titles like that, but it is a very valid and concerning issue that needs to be addressed.

Hmmmm. I too am disappointed, however environmentally speaking this is a good thing. I know Sideshow considers these issues a lot so maybe this is another reason they went this route.

Still think they should inform all their customers about the change. Most will mind. I do but I am not leaning towards canceling yet although some of the appeal of this item has been lost.

Sideshow's best bet in the future is to not list materials until they are 100% certain what will be used on the final product. This will save both the customer and the company a lot of hassle.

Could be why the big baby prop is TBD on materials.

it does suck, but I dont think the worlds ending cause of it ... :monkey1

people have the option to cancel at any time. but this isn't the first time ss has changed the media that they first announced. seems if they are reducing the materials to make an item to a lower quality, that the price of the item should be adjusted accordingly. case in point, boba plastic. there's still places that have boba plastic in stock even though their price is below original retail. ss is failing to acknowledge the collector is getting more savvy and educated.

Why would you pre-order a product with TBD materials? :confused:

I love how people instantly assume that a decision is made soley to screw collectors :lol

I know - I think it probably had to do with quality - wanting to put the best product out there and not have to raise costs - I think it will still look great - I mean I don't think anyone is going to look at my Samaritan and go - gee that's neat, but damn it sure sucks it doesn't have a wood handle. No one touches my collectibles - so as long as it looks like wood - I'm cool.

I assume SS waives the charges on Flex-pays if an item descr is changed.

Or you could not order via flex pay and place a regular order then once you know what the item's materials are then you can call them up and have them convert your order to a flex pay order. They are a very flexible company in my opinion.

I assume SS waives the charges on Flex-pays if an item descr is changed.

I think you would need to email/telephone them to find that out.

They have already mentioned the change in the newsletter, maybe they will put something else out to clarify things for any people that may not be happy with any changes made.

...They have already mentioned the change in the newsletter, maybe they will put something else out to clarify things for any people that may not be happy with any changes made.

I looked back at the last two newsletters, and there is no mention of the change in materials... which newsletter was it mentioned in?

I love how people instantly assume that a decision is made soley to screw collectors :lol

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

Back