Sideshow Making 20"+ Movie Optimus Prime Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have painted a few Transformers in my time, and i can say that although you are right in some respects, if the paint is applied properly by a professional it will not chip from friction, unless it suffers some sort of impact or gets scratched off with a screwdriver or a knife.
As long as you dont paint over joints, or put the paint on too thick in the friction zones (which should be sanded down to make room for the increased mass that the paint will add to the area) and protect it with the right clear coats and lacquers (especially if you use car paint) it will be very tough and chip resistant. :clap

you are so wrong. dude, c'mon.....

you are so wrong. dude, c'mon.....

You cant account for what i have seen with my own eyes and felt with my own hands, unless you have some sort of magical uplink to my eye sight and can see everything i do on a daily basis, in which case youd know im telling the truth and you would have seen some disgusting stuff :rotfl

But just to re-clarify since people seem to intentionally mis-read everything i type:

Im not saying paint is chip proof, however it doesnt chip off as easily as some people think IF its applied correctly, as i have painted toys myself and they are still chip-free and remain as durable as a factory paint-job.

I mean...youre supposed to be the "professional" here, are you saying the paint on all your expensive custom painted toys just chips off? :horror
Didnt think so..but whatever, this aint the place for a discussion about if paint chips or not so no more hijack from me.

Back OT...whats this statue made of?

I have painted a few Transformers in my time, and i can say that although you are right in some respects, if the paint is applied properly by a professional it will not chip from friction, unless it suffers some sort of impact or gets scratched off with a screwdriver or a knife.
As long as you dont paint over joints, or put the paint on too thick in the friction zones (which should be sanded down to make room for the increased mass that the paint will add to the area) and protect it with the right clear coats and lacquers (especially if you use car paint) it will be very tough and chip resistant. :clap

I think my main concern is that the paint job on a custom piece is not made to endure the rigors of transforming many times which basically explains why most people would be happy with a static piece and will not see the inability to transform to be a deal breaker.

pretty good according to online chat yesterday....however may not be up for pre-order until after the con...:slap

sounds good, I know it cliche, but there really is a ton of good stuff coming in soon, and this is the first time I don't mind something taking it's time, especially with how much this'll probably cost

sounds good, I know it cliche, but there really is a ton of good stuff coming in soon, and this is the first time I don't mind something taking it's time, especially with how much this'll probably cost

that's funny.....that's exactly how i am feeling right now!!:exactly:

prime and the legacy neytiri are both on my radar screen....both gonna be pricey....thought both would be up for pre-order at the con....both appear to be pre-orders after the con...

No way open ES, as complex and costly as it'll be to make, they're not going to chance sitting on merchandise because people place orders and back out, I think they'll predertimine and ammount they're happy with in a number of scenarios.

Superb! Can't wait for the full reveal. He looks a little scuffed on his elbow. I was hoping they wouldn't make him look all pristine. He needs to look like battle hardened warrior.

Back