Sideshow Making 20"+ Movie Optimus Prime Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And others won't see the point in buying a cheap toy that needs to be touched up to even look decent, and will never be as accurate, impressive and massive as a statue can be. It's a matter of taste. Well that and of course income, but that goes without saying. :lol

I admit though, if I can ever afford to buy this, I will hunt it down and not rest until I've got it. :rock

For a fraction of the cost you could commission a talented painter to paint one up for you, then you have a fully transformable and poseable version. The accuracy of this statue is nice but at what price does that accuracy come at? No transformation and not even any poseable joints and an insane price tag is a pretty hefty sacrifice for accuracy.
Id rather have one of these:
4166215585_8e82f47bd2_o.jpg

Some people just want a cool looking robot mode Prime based on the movie design, they don't care about transforming ability.

Some people just want a cool looking robot mode Prime based on the movie design, they don't care about transforming ability.

Or poseability either it seems. :p

Fair enough i guess. :monkey3

I just dont see the point in a transformer that doesnt....well...transform...especially when it costs this much :cuckoo:

Or poseability either it seems. :p

Fair enough i guess. :monkey3

I just dont see the point in a transformer that doesnt....well...transform...especially when it costs this much :cuckoo:

well, once its painted, it can't really transform anymore as it ruins the paint job. :monkey3

For a fraction of the cost you could commission a talented painter to paint one up for you, then you have a fully transformable and poseable version. The accuracy of this statue is nice but at what price does that accuracy come at? No transformation and not even any poseable joints and an insane price tag is a pretty hefty sacrifice for accuracy.

fraction?!?!? that's crefigz's Prime, last I heard; he's asking $1600 USD to commission one of those...

A fraction of the cost? That's only if you're lucky enough to manage to get a slot in with a customizer. Otherwise your only chance to get one of a similiar or higher quality to that is through an auction, and those can run ridicously high. And if I have to choose between an excellent repaint of a toy and a high end statue that is on a completely different scale, it will always be the latter.

People interested in this dont want toys to play with, they want a lasting piece of art.

This as well.:lecture

A properly painted "toy" IS art.

:slap No, it's not. It's a toy that has a pretty paintjob now but which you can never really touch in fear of scraping the paintjob. It's a nice display piece, but come on...

All this arguing is really moot, if people were happy enough with a toy, even repainted, they wouldn't pursue this piece, people know about the figures, they'd have gone that route already if it satisfied their wants, no senese arguing toys over this.

:slap No, it's not. It's a toy that has a pretty paintjob now but which you can never really touch in fear of scraping the paintjob. It's a nice display piece, but come on...

Well, you are completaly and utterly wrong there. Anyone with half a clue about good quality customs will know that paint doesnt just chip off that easily, not if its done right.
With the right prep work and high quality paint it'll be just as tough as a factory paintjob, or better.
And yes, it IS art. Anything creative is artistic.
And yeah of course its a display piece! Youre not gonna get a paintjob like that done and then decide to give the thing to a 3 year old :cuckoo:
But the idea is its still an actual TRANSFORMER.

All this arguing is really moot, if people were happy enough with a toy, even repainted, they wouldn't pursue this piece, people know about the figures, they'd have gone that route already if it satisfied their wants, no senese arguing toys over this.

Nobody is argueing, although the usual suspects have arrived ready to start one it seems, since im not entitled to an opinion apparently.

All i said was i dont see the point in buying a non-transforming transformer, and that id rather a fully poseable and transformable custom. The idea of a forum is to discuss differing viewpoints and opinions no? :exactly:

Bringing a toy into this thread and saying it's better than the Prime maquette is just retarded! I'm sorry, but it really is... Regardless of it being a custom paint job.

I think if you want to make this kind of comment you should post it in one of those Transfan toy forum sites, and not this site, not in this thread.

Utterly ridiculous!

Bringing a toy into this thread and saying it's better than the Prime maquette is just retarded! I'm sorry, but it really is... Regardless of it being a custom paint job.

I think if you want to make this kind of comment you should post it in one of those Transfan toy forum sites, and not this site, not in this thread.

Utterly ridiculous!

Wow you people around here are so defensive.
I never said it was better, i just said id prefer the customized toy.
(the fact that the toy is better or not is a matter of opinion btw.
IMO, it is just for the simple fact that it can actually transform, ya know...like a transformer should. Crazy huh? :rolleyes: :p)

But:

WE ARE ALLOWED TO LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS.

So its fine if somebody would prefer either the statue or the toy. Whatever floats their boat.

But next time instead of getting defensive and acting like a little prat by calling people names, maybe next time try and read a little first.

People round here seriously need to chill the ____ out and stop jumping down peoples throats whenever somebody with a different opinion bursts their oh so fragile little world bubble. Its pathetic, and starting to get really old real quick. :rolleyes:

I wonder when we'll see the first pics on sideshow's site. I can only imagine how sick this is going to look. Especially if it has light up features.

Wow you people around here are so defensive.
I never said it was better, i just said id prefer the customized toy.
(the fact that the toy is better or not is a matter of opinion btw.
IMO, it is just for the simple fact that it can actually transform, ya know...like a transformer should. Crazy huh? :rolleyes: :p)

But:

WE ARE ALLOWED TO LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS.

So its fine if somebody would prefer either the statue or the toy. Whatever floats their boat.

But next time instead of getting defensive and acting like a little prat by calling people names, maybe next time try and read a little first.

People round here seriously need to chill the ____ out and stop jumping down peoples throats whenever somebody with a different opinion bursts their oh so fragile little world bubble. Its pathetic, and starting to get really old real quick. :rolleyes:

but he IS right. dude, check out the name of the site you're on...LOL!
I guess this means adding more people to your ever growing "ignore list" huh?

Seriously - from someone who's painted roughly 300+ custom transformers in the past 3 years, I can guarantee no matter how great you think your "prep work" and "paints" are, chipping and paint issue will occur. The image you linked above (Prime) is a perfect example; I've heard first hand that this artist's paint is notorious for having problems. Point being, do your research before replying.

Well, you are completaly and utterly wrong there. Anyone with half a clue about good quality customs will know that paint doesnt just chip off that easily, not if its done right.
With the right prep work and high quality paint it'll be just as tough as a factory paintjob, or better.
And yes, it IS art. Anything creative is artistic.
And yeah of course its a display piece! Youre not gonna get a paintjob like that done and then decide to give the thing to a 3 year old :cuckoo:
But the idea is its still an actual TRANSFORMER.

Nobody is argueing, although the usual suspects have arrived ready to start one it seems, since im not entitled to an opinion apparently.

All i said was i dont see the point in buying a non-transforming transformer, and that id rather a fully poseable and transformable custom. The idea of a forum is to discuss differing viewpoints and opinions no? :exactly:

Actually this isn't entirely true. Even the original paint job that is properly sealed chips when the robot transforms many times.

Its not that its badly done but friction being friction will wear away the paint- that's just how things are.

If i were to commission a custom like that, I'd keep it untransformed and not mess with it :lol

Actually this isn't entirely true. Even the original paint job that is properly sealed chips when the robot transforms many times.

Its not that its badly done but friction being friction will wear away the paint- that's just how things are.

If i were to commission a custom like that, I'd keep it untransformed and not mess with it :lol

I have painted a few Transformers in my time, and i can say that although you are right in some respects, if the paint is applied properly by a professional it will not chip from friction, unless it suffers some sort of impact or gets scratched off with a screwdriver or a knife.
As long as you dont paint over joints, or put the paint on too thick in the friction zones (which should be sanded down to make room for the increased mass that the paint will add to the area) and protect it with the right clear coats and lacquers (especially if you use car paint) it will be very tough and chip resistant. :clap

Back