Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall that both jackets will be made, but I don't think it was said if both would be included in the regular or if there would be an exclusive.

And if it is an exclusive I wouldn't get to worried as the days of 30 minute sell-outs are a thing of the past. Anyone should be able to get the exclusive, only people it will suck for is if they have to pay California Taxes or VAT to get it.

Could be brown for the exclusive. :D

That would make the most sense. The esoteric, marginally relevant option always makes for the best extra accesory.

:D

I'm guessing there won't be an exclusive. There'll be two figures. One will have a blue jacket and one will have brown.

Just to point something out.....I posted this photo way back in the thread. This is the ILM filming miniature jacket that was created at the same time as the actual costume. Not after they filmed the snow scenes on location, but made concurrently with the jacket worn by Harrison.

Note that the color is a blue/ gray, not brown. I have held the screen used jacket in hand, and it's certainly brown.

Why then ILM did this in blue.......well according to Phil Tippett he was told the color of the jacket was blue and was provided a sample of the fabric from the wardrobe department for the miniature.

A last minute wardrobe change, and no one told the special effects team? Who knows. So once again for reasons unknown continuity failed.

image_zpse1bfdf53.jpg

You know, the jacket always looked neon orange to me. Quite frankly, if Sideshow doesn't include the neon orange jacket with this release, it'll be a fail.

The sad part is...once we have this in hand. We'll be complaining the brown and blue will be too bright/too dark, etc. :monkey2

Just to point something out.....I posted this photo way back in the thread. This is the ILM filming miniature jacket that was created at the same time as the actual costume. Not after they filmed the snow scenes on location, but made concurrently with the jacket worn by Harrison.

Note that the color is a blue/ gray, not brown. I have held the screen used jacket in hand, and it's certainly brown.

Why then ILM did this in blue.......well according to Phil Tippett he was told the color of the jacket was blue and was provided a sample of the fabric from the wardrobe department for the miniature.

A last minute wardrobe change, and no one told the special effects team? Who knows. So once again for reasons unknown continuity failed.

image_zpse1bfdf53.jpg

Phil Tippett was advised that the blue coat is blue? Imagine that. :cool:

I'm glad he wasn't told to pattern the miniature after a color faded museum piece that wouldn't surface until 15 years later.

I just rewatched some scenes in ESB. It's amazing.
The coat is definitely brown, especially when you pause the movie, but half the time the suit feels bluish. :panic:

image_zpse1bfdf53.jpg

That's a terrible sculpt. Looks nothing like Ford.

I'm glad he wasn't told to pattern the miniature after a color faded museum piece that wouldn't surface until 15 years later.

Sorry to say this but your incorrect.

I held the jacket on 3 occasions. First was at Lucas Archives in 1995, Lucas Archives 2001, and again on tour for examination in 2004.

The Hoth jacket has been brown and always was.

The jacket worn by Solo in Bespin and throughout the rest of the film is the blue gray color that matches the filming miniature. I have seen one of the 4 of the Bespin jackets made for the film, and I will say that it was faded and turned into a brown gray color.

I believe that is was nothing more then blind luck that the filters used in camera to dull the snow reflection and sun turned the coat into the blue color we are used too. Thus allowing the miniature to match.

Having spoken with many crew members from the films, and being a collector of screen used SW props I can tell you that continuity was not high on the list of stuff to keep straight. No two SW props/ costumes are exactly the same. Pretty bizarre.

I wrote this before seeing Hollywood's reply: The difference in the miniature is probably due to constraints in practical lighting effects. In other words, to try and match the look of the blue lighting and filters used for the 1:1 principal photography.

I believe that is was nothing more then blind luck that the filters used in camera to dull the snow reflection and sun turned the coat into the blue color we are used too. Thus allowing the miniature to match.

Having spoken with many crew members from the films, and being a collector of screen used SW props I can tell you that continuity was not high on the list of stuff to keep straight. No two SW props/ costumes are exactly the same. Pretty bizarre.

Makes perfect sense and regarding continuity, it's something I've been saying for a long time just from watching the movies and reading interviews. Glad to have that validated from as close to first-hand as possible.

Sorry to say this but your incorrect.

I held the jacket on 3 occasions. First was at Lucas Archives in 1995, Lucas Archives 2001, and again on tour for examination in 2004.

The Hoth jacket has been brown and always was.

Like I said. 15 years later. I'm not interested in what the jacket looks like NOW, or decades later, only what appeared on screen.

Obviously this issue will never be resolved through debate. You've got people claiming that their eyes tell them the jacket on screen is blue, others say their eyes see brown, we've got a vintage blue Kenner figure, an old coat that is brown and an old miniature that is blue. The end.

I'd say that evidence favors blue (blue Kenner figure and blue miniature compared to one brown museum coat) but each person will just have to decide for themselves what they are apparently looking at.

I wrote this before seeing Hollywood's reply: The difference in the miniature is probably due to constraints in practical lighting effects. In other words, to try and match the look of the blue lighting and filters used for the 1:1 principal photography.

Makes perfect sense and regarding continuity, it's something I've been saying for a long time just from watching the movies and reading interviews. Glad to have that validated from as close to first-hand as possible.

Not in this case.

The miniature puppets were made before filming was started.

I agree with Khev, once you throw out all the facts, everything suddenly becomes clear.

I'd say that evidence favors blue

So you're going to throw away documentation and pantone color codes that say it's brown. You're going to close your eyes when watching the movies too, I suppose. ;)

Like I said. 15 years later. I'm not interested in what the jacket looks like NOW, or decades later, only what appeared on screen.

Obviously this issue will never be resolved through debate. You've got people claiming that their eyes tell them the jacket on screen is blue, others say their eyes see brown, we've got a vintage blue Kenner figure, an old coat that is brown and an old miniature that is blue. The end.

I'd say that evidence favors blue (blue Kenner figure and blue miniature compared to one brown museum coat) but each person will just have to decide for themselves what they are apparently looking at.

I respect your opinion, however facts are facts. The screen used jacket is far from faded and is brown. Both on the interior, between the seems next to the stitching (a place where light has no bearing).

Kenner was never provided wardrobe photos, nor inspected the costume in person. They were told what color to use, and did. Someone simply got it wrong. No different than Snaggletooth.......should have been short with red costume, but Kenner released it first tall, with blue outfit and silver boots. They guessed because the source material given for use on the figure wasn't clear enough.

As said before continuity and blind luck aided this debate. Personally I think blue looks better, but I don't care what the figure comes with.

Back