Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good. If that doesn't also include a helmet mod, you did a very good job of posing along with shooting angle to minimize the look off look of the stock neck/helmet. A much better job than Sideshow did on any of their own images.
Thanks, no mods here. Although I will lower the helmet at some point soon.

Nice screen grabs in that link. Some of the better ones I've seen.

Sweet pic, Rory. :rock

So you're pretty happy with this though you cancelled and we're skeptical at first. That's good news. Initially I was going to pass but tomorrow I'll be putting in an order. Will you b keeping your ANH version?

Thanks!
I actually cancelled this twice! I caved again when I saw the in hand pics. It's a fantastic figure, best I've seen from SS IMO. Yeah, I will keep my ANH version, it does look very different on display.

Sweet pics Rory. Sweeeeeet pics.
:duff

thanks.:pfft:

Nice screen grabs in that link. Some of the better ones I've seen.

Thanks, I combed through all three movies in quite some detail. There's opportunity for a lot more grabs, but I cut out as much similarity as possible.

The take-away (on this subject) from watching the movies is that the producers in fact did the opposite of what some of the posters in here are claiming. They have actually tried to make Vader look shorter than the actor portraying him. They put Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill up on boxes next to Vader after all.

GREAT pics Rory. Wow, this does look awesome. There's a few little nit-picky things that I don't like but it's so impressive overall that I'm not too fussed.
The two main things which I DO wish they could have improved upon is the suit (their ANH version looks much better with all the "bunching" up along the vertical stitch lines) and the size of the dome. The upper part of the dome definitely needs to be wider and if they'd have done that, an already superb figure would have been unbeatable. That's one of the key reasons why the Hasbro dome looked so much better on the ANH figure because they got the width of the dome perfect. Sadly, because the mask on this figure is smaller than the ANH, I'm guessing that the Hasbro dome will be too big.

Hope you don't mind Rory but I used one of your excellent pics to try and demonstrate how it would have looked with a wider dome.

SS-ROTJ-DV-01_zpsec79c1b1.jpg

GREAT pics Rory. Wow, this does look awesome. There's a few little nit-picky things that I don't like but it's so impressive overall that I'm not too fussed.
The two main things which I DO wish they could have improved upon is the suit (their ANH version looks much better with all the "bunching" up along the vertical stitch lines) and the size of the dome. The upper part of the dome definitely needs to be wider and if they'd have done that, an already superb figure would have been unbeatable. That's one of the key reasons why the Hasbro dome looked so much better on the ANH figure because they got the width of the dome perfect. Sadly, because the mask on this figure is smaller than the ANH, I'm guessing that the Hasbro dome will be too big.

Hope you don't mind Rory but I used one of your excellent pics to try and demonstrate how it would have looked with a wider dome.

Thanks, but I don't think anyone here is saying it's 100% perfect, but the point is it's very very good. Sure the dome could be wider (and lower) and it could curve slightly on the front edges also. But it's a vast improvement from the stock ANH helmet, which is why I think photoshopping or virtually "fixing" things is pretty pointless. Not aimed at you at all mate, but it started to drive me nuts in the DC threads when everyone and their granny started stretching bat cowls..digitally? If it's a physical fix that can be done or modded (like King's lowering) then great, thats useful stuff. Know what I mean?:dunno

Pre-Ordered from Sideshow on Monday... it is already paid for and shipped, it will arrive on Monday. WOW! Pretty cool...

I know exactly what you mean Rory. The only reason I posted the pic was to illustrate why I thought it would have looked better with the wider dome. I realise it's not going to be possible to make this change without doing some resculpting. King Darkness's fix is a great one and I'll definitely be doing that on mine.

Overall, it's definitely the best Vader figure released at any scale and I can't wait to add it to my collection.

Thanks, but I don't think anyone here is saying it's 100% perfect, but the point is it's very very good. Sure the dome could be wider (and lower) and it could curve slightly on the front edges also. But it's a vast improvement from the stock ANH helmet, which is why I think photoshopping or virtually "fixing" things is pretty pointless. Not aimed at you at all mate, but it started to drive me nuts in the DC threads when everyone and their granny started stretching bat cowls..digitally? If it's a physical fix that can be done or modded (like King's lowering) then great, thats useful stuff. Know what I mean?:dunno

Domes were the same in all three movies (with the exception of the widows peak and the amount of shine) so what you're saying is true...from a certain point of view. LOL

I see that wider helmet and reminds me of the ANH vader on the esb/rotj body

Received mines yesterday, both helmets have very noticeable scuffs and the solid full helmet piece has both tusks broken off. I have contacted sideshow, but I feel majorly angry at such poor quality control. These have definitely been packaged up like this, so someone just couldn't be bothered.

Back