Statue Sideshow Dinosauria Mosasaur Statue/Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the fact that they are doing a couple of repaints has me interested in this line, as I liked the Mosasaur, but all the past releases are going for a mint these days, so this is a way to jump in and add a few pieces this year possibly.

BBTS has this, so ordered their and avoided the NRD since there is no exclusive on this. Though if I pick up the Dilo and get a SS Originals gift card, may cancel that and order direct down the road now that you can use them and get RP's on the difference.

Not sure yet..maybe this one won't have an exclusive with it? They have been charging the same prices regardless as of late anyway.

I had a thought looking at the full pics...does anyone else think this piece screams unstable ? Something about the base size and the height bugs me..though I love the pose. I kinda worry if it was barely bumped would it topple over ?

My Foulkes Mosa is huge but also has a really big heavy base and the support rod enters the belly giving it maximum support.

yeah, I would be afraid to even be near it. seems like a breeze might make it fall

So I'm a bit of a dino fan like alot of folks and I don't get the scale of the shark at all. Mosasaurs at the most were estimated at 40' with largest maybe in the 50's(which is awesome scary!). But that shark looks tiny in comparison. Unless it is a 6-7' shark. Doesn't really make sense to have such a small shark as it 1. makes the mosasaur look comically large 2. the shark looks insignificant and toy like. I don't know, I guess I don't really get what it adds to the whole. What do you guys think, am I missing the mark on this one?

Edit: saw the previous post about it being a juvenile. Cheers.

I think the statue looks fantastic, but I'm curious about the accuracy of the tail. Sideshow has always taken pride in delivering dino-sculpts based on the latest research. However, the latest discoveries suggests that Mosasaurs had shark-like tails. See here https://phys.org/news/2013-09-mosasaur-fossil-early-lizards-tails.html Granted, the tail on the sculpt is somewhat hidden, and it is not possible to see whether this feature is present or not.

I think the statue looks fantastic, but I'm curious about the accuracy of the tail. Sideshow has always taken pride in delivering dino-sculpts based on the latest research. However, the latest discoveries suggests that Mosasaurs had shark-like tails. See here https://phys.org/news/2013-09-mosasaur-fossil-early-lizards-tails.html Granted, the tail on the sculpt is somewhat hidden, and it is not possible to see whether this feature is present or not.

Yeah the tail is hidden at that pint so I'm guessing it doesn't matter a whole lot. There are some that believe Mosa's had the little fin others that think not...so in short I don't know. I trust Jorge knows what he's doing though.

About the repaint news for Spino. & Styraco. I never expect Sideshow can do this before...which gives me a big hope because I have no Apatosaurs home and I do hope one day they can repaint this piece too, it's very hard to find seller today...One of the maquette deserving its 2nd version !!!

One of the maquette deserving its 2nd version !!!

Well if they do I hope Sideshow find a way to strengthen or protect the tail better. I tried three times to get that piece and every time it arrived with a bust tail. Had to give up in the end. I don't know how anyone managed to get an unbroken one.

Well if they do I hope Sideshow find a way to strengthen or protect the tail better. I tried three times to get that piece and every time it arrived with a bust tail. Had to give up in the end. I don't know how anyone managed to get an unbroken one.

3 times?! I heard many tail-broken stories but 3 times is such a bad fortune! Sorry for your tail, seems like it takes patient and luck to get a beautiful tail, I suggest they use the metal-made thread inside and then covered by polystone as their stronger remade.

I'm actually curious why they didn't use a more flexible resin for it..I think the issue was it was too stiff. Mine arrived unbroken miraculously..I still marvel at how now.

Very interesting article Robban. Thank you!

Glad you liked it, tupuxuara! :)

Here's a T. rex, Mosasaur size comparison. It may not be 100% accurate, but it gives a general idea on how big these animals were. There is some information of Mosasaurs reaching several more meters in length, but I haven't found any definite evidence for this.

comparison-small_zpsc4ecfb5e.jpg~original

Nice scale info there..the Rex looks a lot like our 1:1 T-Rex we're building for our Dinosaur Park. Just a bigger head since we based it on Stan.

As Scott Hartman said, size estimates are always generalized..you can have so much variety in a species.

Well they don't always.. recall the Tupuxuara and the Euplocephalus didn't have one. Last year's Dilophosaurus EX and regular edition were the same price. My guess is they phased them out.

I know I had a wine about it a few post back but it still doesn't make sense to me. Would be nice to see some official word (I know that will never happen).

I always thought the price point of Tupuxuara and the Euplocephalus was the reason for no exclusive.

The exclusive and regular prices have been the same for some time on all their products, well before Dilophosaurus.

It's such a shame as the skulls were the reason I always purchased direct from SSC.

I know I had a wine about it a few post back but it still doesn't make sense to me. Would be nice to see some official word (I know that will never happen).

I always thought the price point of Tupuxuara and the Euplocephalus was the reason for no exclusive.

The exclusive and regular prices have been the same for some time on all their products, well before Dilophosaurus.

It's such a shame as the skulls were the reason I always purchased direct from SSC.

The price point could have been raised slightly for an ex even on those pieces though I think.

I keep thinking back to the beginning of the line..though I think the price changed around the release of the Stegosaurus ? I used to only buy the regular editions as a mini-skull wasn't a huge draw for extra 50.00 or so. For the price I can buy a larger more detailed skull replica. That's how I recall the price difference.

I guess they shot themselves in the foot then..but you know, this helps them move more out to retailers if people aren't ordering direct..so perhaps they are actually pushing for less "direct " sales ?

I love the sculpt here, in the sense that it looks like it defies gravity and it's dynamic. I got some teeth from this bad boy so it's sorta tempting me, plus 299 is a good price.

Hmm, decisions, decisions.

Back