Statue Sideshow Darth Sidious Mythos statue 1/5

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow Darth Sidious Mythos statue

Teaser had me ready to buy it, but the pose sucks. Floating? Really? Don?t know what they were thinking considering Palpatine has never done that and I don?t even think he can. The others were based in a potential reality at least or weren?t so bold. Why not have him just standing on a rock with lava running beneath him or something? Everyone would have liked that.

Or make another Obi mythos where he did kill Vader on Mustafar and now is fighting Palpatine. Make it a combined statue type thing.

I think it's fair to not like the pose, but why can't he float? It's fiction. The purpose of the Mythos line was to tell a story of the character that we've never heard about before.

I get the feeling if he was just standing there like he does in every other statue, people would complain that it's not "Mythos" enough.

I think with Star Wars fans it's a no win situation. Probably the most difficult fan base to please.

I think it's fair to not like the pose, but why can't he float? It's fiction. The purpose of the Mythos line was to tell a story of the character that we've never heard about before.

I get the feeling if he was just standing there like he does in every other statue, people would complain that it's not "Mythos" enough.

I think with Star Wars fans it's a no win situation. Probably the most difficult fan base to please.

I agree, there had to be something extra or it wouldn't be a mythos statue. People just want a dull version like in the movies but once again, this is a mythos line

Teaser had me ready to buy it, but the pose sucks.

My thoughts exactly.

I think it's fair to not like the pose, but why can't he float? It's fiction. The purpose of the Mythos line was to tell a story of the character that we've never heard about before. I get the feeling if he was just standing there like he does in every other statue, people would complain that it's not "Mythos" enough.

I agree, there had to be something extra or it wouldn't be a mythos statue. People just want a dull version like in the movies but once again, this is a mythos line

Bottom line though, you have to like the way a statue looks.

I don't mind the concept that he is floating. But I just think that the pose isn't quite there yet. His lower half makes it seem like he's leaning backwards, while the lightning attack on the top half would presume a more forward moving position.

I dont know what i can write to this. the only i think i like is the cape and i normally doesnt like mixed media. looks like it sticks to 2 legs 2 arms and 1 head in a stone. im shocked , im speechless, 1 of the baddest statues from Sideshow in the SW galaxy.

@ambasah, i like u :hi5:

I don't mind him levitating, if anybody can, it's Palpatine. But the execution on this one is sadly quite poor over all. It's a shame as I like the concept, and even most of the sculpt. With a little more thought put into it, it could have been amazing. But sadly it's just awkward. And then you've got the silly looking feet and materials that don't line up etc on top..... Missed opportunity.

Edition size revealed at 2000

Agreed.

Think 2k is a good number for this.

I think Ventress deserved a high ES, it just looked so damn impressive, but not as high as it got.

2000 is much more than I expected. think this will be had for much less in the aftermarket.

Agreed. This one will be around forever and easily cheaper sometime down the road as well. Looks like a person can kinda prognosticate which direction SS has decided to go in their business model.

The original Mythos line-up didn't really take-off in the secondary market until just a few years ago. It took awhile to get there and those numbers were far lower by comparison. Like driving a new car off the lot, these recent offerings are the most-expensive they'll be right now and will eventually end up on all of SS's daily discount-spam emails. Even then, I imagine they'll produce these in waves, hence I'll be surprised if either of these 2 offerings even makes it to the end of their given "Edition Size."

To me, it appears SS is barely even in the "collectibles" game anymore. It's really just become an online (distribution) retail company that sells easily acquirable, over-priced statues. Compare the way they do things against say, how Mondo or Bottleneck Gallery operates the "collectibles" market. It's like chalk and cheese.

I think this will be sought after in the years to come. People all criticized the original Mythos pieces back in the day and they're all commanding double their value on the secondary market.

The original ES':

Boba Fett: 2500
Kenobi: 2000
Gamorrean: 750
Maul: 2500
Vader: 5000

I think this will be sought after in the years to come. People all criticized the original Mythos pieces back in the day and they're all commanding double their value on the secondary market.

The original ES':

Boba Fett: 2500
Kenobi: 2000
Gamorrean: 750
Maul: 2500
Vader: 5000

I'm gonna agree with you.

When/if are released and I'm assuming they will be (next week? SDCC?) people will probably want the entire set. Even though Sideous is pretty lackluster compared to their Ventress (which is almost perfect) I think they'll be a market for him for people who will want the complete set.

Also depends on who they introduce, though a screen accurate Ahsoka PF is at the top of my list, a Mythos one set between TCW and Rebels would be pretty sick.

the only criticism the originals had was in regards to scale. Once they trickled into collectors hands, they received nothing but glowing praise. I remember everyone trying to instantly track down ben after he was released, as an example.

Folks have legitimate issues with emperor...be it the dumb decision to include mixed media, or the "dangling feet" which isn't a big deal to me personally. The biggest issue is the price. that combined with the edition size and critiques pretty much guarantees this won't hold its value in the long term.

Now if ventress had an edition size of 2000, I would be pre-ordering right now...and probably get 2. But then SS decided to make an absurd amount insuring the same fate for her (deals in the aftermarket) despite the universal praise .

If nothing else, ask yourself this...name one star wars statue SS has made in recent years that has held its value in the aftermarket. the answer is zero.

I remember it differently. It seemed like the opinion on Vader was polarized; many people hated the orange paint coloring on it. People also weren't too crazy about the design of Darth Maul.

There was also a lot of controversy around the re-release of the remaining batch for the Ben Kenobi piece.

I remember it differently. It seemed like the opinion on Vader was polarized; many people hated the orange paint coloring on it. People also weren't too crazy about the design of Darth Maul.

There was also a lot of controversy around the re-release of the remaining batch for the Ben Kenobi piece.

I remember the re-release of Ben Kenobi, I hopped on that one. Still my only Mythos piece.

People were pissed Ben didn't come with an un-ignighted hilt and the price jump from $250 for Maul to $350 for Ben. Thats partly why it wasn't popular until people started getting it in hand.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lots of people have it. They're everywhere, including people already selling their previously displayed ones in FB Groups and ebay. Is there a particular question you have about it?

Back