Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, considering there’s really only one pose for the walker, articulation was a bad call given the hologram weight.

I am curious to people's opinions on this: SSC Darth Maul vs Hot Toys Darth Maul w/o speeder. I could probably snag a new SSC Darth Maul right now on eBay for about $150 give or take $25. I have the Hot Toys version on pre-order at BBTS. I think the Hot Toys is going to be close to $290 shipped. My issue is this, I want a Maul, he is not my favorite character, but he looks cool. Will the extra money, which in my eyes seems considerable, be worth it to spend on the Hot Toys version? (It does bug me that SSC does not have a robe.) Wondering what other peoples' thoughts are?

I am curious to people's opinions on this: SSC Darth Maul vs Hot Toys Darth Maul w/o speeder. I could probably snag a new SSC Darth Maul right now on eBay for about $150 give or take $25. I have the Hot Toys version on pre-order at BBTS. I think the Hot Toys is going to be close to $290 shipped. My issue is this, I want a Maul, he is not my favorite character, but he looks cool. Will the extra money, which in my eyes seems considerable, be worth it to spend on the Hot Toys version? (It does bug me that SSC does not have a robe.) Wondering what other peoples' thoughts are?

Your want for a figure and liking of the character seems a bit more on the casual side, so I think your desire would be sufficiently satisfied by the Sideshow Maul, he looks great on a shelf, which is the most you're looking for it sounds like. The added cost of Hot Toys is for accessories and some slight improvements to the overall figure that you may likely never even take much advantage of.

If he’s not one of your favorite characters but you simply want at least a halfway decent representation of him without getting too crazy, I think the SSC Maul would be more than adequate. I don’t have it, but I’ve seen it in person before at my LCS. From what I recall, it did look really good. In some ways, I actually like that sculpt better than the HT one.

By the way, I love the SS Palestine projection. Though everyone visiting thinks it’s Virgin Mary ����*♂️
9513be7385cff2325ee06fb9a4dcaec7.jpg

Yeah, considering there’s really only one pose for the walker, articulation was a bad call given the hologram weight.

Yeah. I had him too but decided to sell him to a friend with many other SS SW 1/6 figures many many years ago. He was like the only figure I had ever opened. I had him displayed with my MR Darth Sidious Lighstaber. But like you said, the problem was the weight. The legs of the walker would constantly start to droop down until I got annoyed enough to sell him off. Was a pretty cool figure though, but I also feel he was a bit over sized.

I would get this one if he’s going for that little Now. I have a feeling that he will go back up in price when HT Maul comes out and it turns out that the SS sculpt is better... just a feeling as I really don’t feel like the expression and everything else about this sculpt can’t be beat. But we’ll see. At least it will be close.

I have the HT with Speeder on order, but had been thinking of getting the Sideshow V.2 as well.

Ebay emailed a 15% off everything code about an hour ago, so I used it on the Naboo Maul I saw while I was browsing earlier this morning.

I'm eventually going to be well mauled as I still have the Sideshow V.1. I think the sculpt on that first version was ahead of its time when compared to Sideshow's other work during that era (the box says 2006).

Finally received the Duel on Naboo figure.

I like the sculpt a lot. It must be one of their best as it's very 'un-Sideshow-like' for a human head, and more akin to what you'd expect from Hot Toys.

Putting him alongside the V.1 you can see a noticeable size difference with the head. Same with the boots which are a big upgrade.

Joints are a little looser than a HT, as seems to be a common issue with this figure, but nothing like the old Prometheus which tended more towards being rag dolls.

After having the V.2 stood next to the V.1 for about ten seconds convinced me to put the V.1 back into his box again. A figure that previously looked passable (considering its age) just got blasted back into the attic where he's spent most of his existence. :lol

(I also found that the V.1's robe was un-futzable despite the wires, and impossible to keep closed with the hook and eye as they immediately spring apart).

I'm really torn between the Hot Toys Maul and the Sideshow. The HT comes with more but I'm really thinking the SS is the better looking figure.

Back