Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There may be a lot of people in the same boat. The value is going to plummet for sure.
The SS version, already a bit expensive for what it was, is going through a second run on PO, and i bet a lot will cancel.
SS will be having to discount them a lot i bet.

They just don't get it yet.

I’m keeping the SS version to wear the HT robe and ride the Speeder in the background while the HT will stand up front no robe in battle with Obi Wan.

This is the first time I haven’t immediately wanted to replace a SS figure with the HT version. I’m impressed by this every time I see him in the collection.
I really liked my Sideshow Maul as well and was having the same thought until I took it off the shelf and realized how flimsy the body is. That and the lack of accessories has me ready to sell.

The hot toys maul is the definitive maul.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The thing about Maul, is his head is about 90% of the figure's look and presence. The rest is just a regular body in a black outfit. The HT will obviously be on a better body and will most likely have better tailoring and such, but if the head doesnt look better, it's not a win over the SS imo.

As it stands right now based on the promo images, there's no way I'm giving up my Sideshow figure. I still plan on getting the HT, but it's by no means a replacement for what I already have. I'm really hoping that changes before production though since I know HT is fully capable of delivering something better.

I really liked my Sideshow Maul as well and was having the same thought until I took it off the shelf and realized how flimsy the body is. That and the lack of accessories has me ready to sell.

The hot toys maul is the definitive maul.

I had heard a couple others say that about the body but mine is solid. I even bought a second body from TA for a custom and it was solid too. Must've been hit and miss.

The lack of accessories are a definite bummer. I may pick up a few parts from TA when he breaks down but I can't say HT has made the definitive Maul...at least not until some in hand pics start showing up. If they had made the iconic snarling, teeth gritting sculpt then I would have agreed but that second sculpt is just a throw away to me.

I had heard a couple others say that about the body but mine is solid. I even bought a second body from TA for a custom and it was solid too. Must've been hit and miss.

The lack of accessories are a definite bummer. I may pick up a few parts from TA when he breaks down but I can't say HT has made the definitive Maul...at least not until some in hand pics start showing up. If they had made the iconic snarling, teeth gritting sculpt then I would have agreed but that second sculpt is just a throw away to me.
I honestly thought mine was solid too until I took it off the stand yesterday. Mine is probably not as bad as others make it seem but it's not solid as a rock either.

Its bothered me since day 1 that sideshow made a scene specific Darth Maul instead of all the looks from the film like hot toys has. I'm still debating whether I need the bike or not. I hate to be one of those folks who are done with Sideshow Star Wars but I'm headed that way. I just listed my ESB boba fett, scout trooper and Jango fett on Ebay. Now Darth maul is going on tonight. Only sideshow figures left are Hoth Han and Luke.

I do agree with you on the second sculpt. The gritting teeth would have put this over the top however I dont mind what they opted to include.

By the way Coco- I always love your pics of new figures on your custom stands. I have several of your ROTJ Luke's saved to my phone for posing inspiration. Thanks!

The thing about Maul, is his head is about 90% of the figure's look and presence. The rest is just a regular body in a black outfit. The HT will obviously be on a better body and will most likely have better tailoring and such, but if the head doesnt look better, it's not a win over the SS imo.

As it stands right now based on the promo images, there's no way I'm giving up my Sideshow figure. I still plan on getting the HT, but it's by no means a replacement for what I already have. I'm really hoping that changes before production though since I know HT is fully capable of delivering something better.

I’m in the same boat as you.

Like many others, I plan on trying to sell my Sideshow version. I have the exclusive so hopefully that helps a little with putting that money towards the HT Maul.

I really, really don't want to get into a game of upgrading. Not for £200+ figures.

I expect the Hot Toys Maul to be better, but I was content with the SS version 2.

There are so many other figures I want more than starting to chase upgrades.

I honestly thought mine was solid too until I took it off the stand yesterday. Mine is probably not as bad as others make it seem but it's not solid as a rock either.

Its bothered me since day 1 that sideshow made a scene specific Darth Maul instead of all the looks from the film like hot toys has. I'm still debating whether I need the bike or not. I hate to be one of those folks who are done with Sideshow Star Wars but I'm headed that way. I just listed my ESB boba fett, scout trooper and Jango fett on Ebay. Now Darth maul is going on tonight. Only sideshow figures left are Hoth Han and Luke.

I do agree with you on the second sculpt. The gritting teeth would have put this over the top however I dont mind what they opted to include.

By the way Coco- I always love your pics of new figures on your custom stands. I have several of your ROTJ Luke's saved to my phone for posing inspiration. Thanks!

That’s a bummer about the body. I’ll have to check mine again and see if anything loosened up.

I still buy SS SW but not everything like I used to. Everything has been a placeholder until HT does it though. Maul just happens to be an exceptional figure to me despite the lack of goodies. I think that just what he came with is pretty much how I’d display him 90% of the time helps.

Thanks for the complement, matt. :duff

WAS I RIGHT OR WHAT?
It has turned out, point by point, everything I predicted it would be. Even the Sith-dammed Sith speeder.
:)
m.

I don't think it will be that long. Look at SSC: they released their new Jedi Luke in the face of 2 HT Jedi Lukes being floating around.
Why? I hope they know better than me. Anyway, their costume seems far superior to HT's, and includes every accessory needed for ROTJ.
On the contrary, HT is stepping into the PT, with Dooku just around the corner. Then will come Qui Gon, Obi Padawan, and if they know what's good for them, they will pull a ****ing awesome Maul to play with Qui and Obi. Complete with binos, photorealistic fierce expression, awesome robe, awesome hands, AND his Sith Speeder.
m.

Well, it's going to be a long year before the HT version starts hitting our collections. Thankfully, we still have this great Sideshow version to supply our Sith fix...

MAUL-24.jpg

I'll be happy to feature both in the collection.

I’m starting to think it’s only my addiction craving the HT version... everything about the SSC version is perfect to me. The expression, likeness - the sculpt in general appeals so much more to me. I want the accessories from the HT version... but would I really display them? Dunno... hope a lot of new OT stuff will be announced soon so I can forget about this. I really don’t need it...

I’m starting to think it’s only my addiction craving the HT version... everything about the SSC version is perfect to me. The expression, likeness - the sculpt in general appeals so much more to me. I want the accessories from the HT version... but would I really display them? Dunno... hope a lot of new OT stuff will be announced soon so I can forget about this. I really don’t need it...

I’m in same boat as you. I love the look of the accessories you get with the HT version but both the head sculpts look inferior to the SSC sculpt IMO. If we get a decent OT release in the next month or so, my attention will turn to that. Otherwise my figure addiction will have to be fed possibly with the HT Maul.

Glad I held off on buying this version. The expression on this SS version looks great, but HT has the better paint apps imo

There was always going to be a HT Maul but I am disappointed it is so soon after the Sideshow version. Especially taking in the fact that this SS Maul is really good.

There are so many others that are more in need of an upgrade than this.

I am gutted that of all the figures revealed at Comic Con it was Maul that went up for pre order as the big one.

I was hoping for a Veers or Leia Boushh and a Lando. Sideshow revealed the best figure in the Skiff Guard Disguise.

I want that Bespin Leia too!!!

mmexport1533224448154.jpg
mmexport1533224453537.jpg
mmexport1533224455827.jpg
mmexport1533224462123.jpg
Just get my new cloak.
mmexport1533224465163.jpg
Also make a black cloak for my Anakin. Looks more dark.

Back