Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The difference between Sideshow's first Maul attempt compared to their second is night and day....that said the price is right

8df9cef0c20ed0232e19bb1337c77da0.jpg

55b82c2779a8bba3cb715a5be0c58eff.jpg

I’m pretty sure the old head is bigger than the new head.

The new sculpt blows the old one away but the old one is still one of the better "old time" sideshow heads. I have my old one next to grievous and they look good from normal viewing distance. Close in it does not hold up as well.

Let's all not forget that the first Maul came out in 2008 and only cost $54.99. It also came with the outer cloak. So we're comparing 2 very different things. (At the time of the first Sideshow Maul, we were all comparing the $20 Hasbro Maul with the new improved $54.99 Sideshow one and complaining about the doubling in price of 12 inch figures.)

Let's all not forget that the first Maul came out in 2008 and only cost $54.99. It also came with the outer cloak. So we're comparing 2 very different things. (At the time of the first Sideshow Maul, we were all comparing the $20 Hasbro Maul with the new improved $54.99 Sideshow one and complaining about the doubling in price of 12 inch figures.)

:exactly: It really doesn't make sense comparing the two sculpts. Other than the head sculpt, that was/is an amazing figure for $54.99... The good ol days. An awful lot has changed in 10 years. HT has come a long way too. Anyone ever see their 1st MMS figure? It's about as laughable by today's standards as SS 1st figures as well. Well, here's a refresher. MMS 01 The Terminator Sergeant Tech Com Kyle Reese.

11222687_432792873588939_8623869197276480312_n.jpg

Thanks for that!

I suppose I could keep the hood up to hide some of the V1’s shortcomings or try to get hold of a V2 head, assuming its compatible. How does the clothing compare between the two?

8df9cef0c20ed0232e19bb1337c77da0.jpg

55b82c2779a8bba3cb715a5be0c58eff.jpg

I’m pretty sure the old head is bigger than the new head.

How does the clothing compare between the two?

The newer figure has quite softer fabric which looks nicer overall, the original was quite rigid and too thick in some of the tabards and tough to work with. Additional accessories is the only benefit of original over new, why they share, newer trumps in every way.

finally ordered a d.maul with some rewards points i built up, really looking forward to this one, my local comic shop has a lot of the older figs, i picked up jabba and gammorean guard there. and i was surprised to see G.Guard with some decent detail for displaying next to jabba. However the first version of maul looked like a hasbro doll except the outer robe which i wish accompanied this fig i couldn't bring myself to buy it even at $50, they also had the first scum/villany bossk but after inspecting him i opted for the updated version which i feel has much more accurate color.

The biggest bummer about this figure IMO is the seams on the head. You can see one near the horns, a couple near the ears, etc. So it looks like the sculpt is made up of multiple parts. Hopefully HT can make it seamless if they ever give it a go.

It's fine, but quite far from Park.

View attachment 397559

That's what i've been saying this whole time too. That paint apps are on point, although i personally like my Maul's eye sockets more pointed like the pic you posted as oppose to the panda looking rounded socket. This maul looks more like battlefront to me. I feel they took reference from Maul as oppose to looking at Ray Park then applying paint. Best way to start a sculpt. HT does the same with Joker, they take reference form the movies as oppose to the actors. Ray Park is Maul to me.

Back