Sideshow ALIENS Warrior Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You won't be out $600 if you used Paypal and went through Ebay. You can get your money back, easily.

There's a ton of knock-offs of that statue on Ebay. I just looked and they're still there...the knock-offs. My question would be, why sell the original so cheap when you can easily get double the $600? It makes no sense.

^precisely my concerns, but then again, there are people that may have something like this that don't follow the current market and just want to get some quick cash or don't really know what they have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a ton of knock-offs of that statue on Ebay. I just looked and they're still there...the knock-offs. My question would be, why sell the original so cheap when you can easily get double the $600? It makes no sense.

It does not look like a knock off to me, those have pretty bad paint jobs. I think you lucked out. I got mine a few years back for a good price too(not 600 good, but still good)

Bought this piece a few weeks ago for $82,-. And yes I was aware that is was a recast, but no problem for me to fill the space while hunting for the original.
I must say that recast or not, it's a damn good recast to look at.

I think the seller isn't really in the loop and doesn't realize those are knock-offs, when he price check on EBay and see a bunch selling for $600, the natural thing to do is to match their price. There's a lot of people who have no idea how much their stuff is really worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An easy well to tell if it's a recast is if the light on the base is detachable. I believe the most common recast came like that (safer shipping) and SS' didn't. Not saying every recast has that so it's not a guarantee but if it does v0v ;p

An easy well to tell if it's a recast is if the light on the base is detachable. I believe the most common recast came like that (safer shipping) and SS' didn't. Not saying every recast has that so it's not a guarantee but if it does v0v ;p

Well I got the shipping notification and it will be here sometime next week. I'll post pics of the color box and shipping box as well as the maquette (good or bad), and you can guys can give me your take. Now time to go wait.....

It's possible you got a good deal. There was an actual AP put up for $800 on the bay not to long ago. A real artist proof too, paint is actually better then production piece.

There are quite a few ways to tell, but if it looks like it does in his pics I would say it is legit. Recasters don't bother with packaging or bottom of base artwork usually. The recast base will also be very light and the real one is solid or close to it.

It's possible you got a good deal. There was an actual AP put up for $800 on the bay not to long ago. A real artist proof too, paint is actually better then production piece.

Did it have high quality pics or how could you tell it was painted better? APs are still from the production line so it shouldn't be much better if any.

Did it have high quality pics or how could you tell it was painted better? APs are still from the production line so it shouldn't be much better if any.

They are nowadays (from PCS at least who else has APs?), but really an artist proof is supposed to be a sample sent by the factory. They did used to get out, some still do from charity auctions for SS but not really for good prices ;p I was the one who got it and I have a regular one to compare it too. Didn't see this guys pics but yeah most recasters aren't trying to pass for the real thing so they won't include those things. Especially art box too much effort.

They are nowadays (from PCS at least who else has APs?), but really an artist proof is supposed to be a sample sent by the factory. They did used to get out, some still do from charity auctions for SS but not really for good prices ;p I was the one who got it and I have a regular one to compare it too. Didn't see this guys pics but yeah most recasters aren't trying to pass for the real thing so they won't include those things. Especially art box too much effort.

All manufacturers have APs I would imagine. Sample sent by factory is exactly what I meant, it is just like they do for sending a "sample" sent to the licensors for approval. They probably pick good ones off the line to send as APs/Samples. I can't imagine they are designated beforehand to be better painted(Not sure PCS does this either). I have seen wide variance in regular production pieces quality, so no way to say if the AP is better than a production piece just because it is an AP/sample. Just depends on the guy working on it more than AP/sample. The ones I have are not noticeably better anyway.

All manufacturers have APs I would imagine. Sample sent by factory is exactly what I meant, it is just like they do for sending a "sample" sent to the licensors for approval. They probably pick good ones off the line to send as APs/Samples. I can't imagine they are designated beforehand to be better painted(Not sure PCS does this either). I have seen wide variance in regular production pieces quality, so no way to say if the AP is better than a production piece just because it is an AP/sample. Just depends on the guy working on it more than AP/sample. The ones I have are not noticeably better anyway.

This one's a bit different overall in painting. It's a bit darker and the finish is shinnier as well so it is markably different. I forget exactly what the bottom said it was something like PBM Sample 1 or something. And yeah they all have samples, they just generally don't sell them anymore. I can't say for sure for statues but they likely just aren't the best one off the line, shoe factories have "sample groups" that pretty much only crank out samples and of course they are the best of them.

The only ones that look different are the prototypes, they usually make less then 5 of those. I've seen an Ironman Mark 7 1/4 maquette prototype go on sale which has a much darker red paint that looks like car paint compared to the production piece. The base was empty and unfinished, no one wanted it, I think it ended up selling for like around $800 or $1000 which is about what the production piece goes for.

I have over 10 AP statues in my collecting; SSC, PCS, Bowen, etc.. and they don't look any different then the production pieces, some might come with the artist's signature but that's it. From my experience if something looks way nicer on picture it's usually due to the person using a really nice camera, the genuine production piece Alien maquette does have a really nice paint job like the way you described, if they know what they're doing with the camera they can easily push those details to the extreme. It will look shinier then real life due to pushing the contrast level higher, darks look darker and highlights look brighter, etc.

On the topic of the $600 auction I'm thinking it's probably a genuine one, the seller probably thinks his item is worth $600 after price checking on Ebay and seeing there's a whole bunch of Alien Maquettes for sale at that price.
That's like what, below retail? lol congrats that's a really nice score.

Last edited:
It's not a prototype I'm pretty certain of that. It definitely said sample on the bottom. Since I have both I can tell you for certain that the paint jobs are different. It's not like leaps better then the regular one which is nice already, but it is. And it's just better to me, I mean maybe some people would prefer the regular one so I suppose you could just say it's "different". It doesn't have an unfinished base and there is also a box for it. I didn't expect it to be any different when purchasing just that it was a good price.

I have a ton of PCS APs too, they aren't anything but additional regular production pieces that are signed by Jerry.

43513edffbe7208e26801dbc45c93b44.jpg
d94cfa85f8470c4a7c70b81b70429084.jpg
d2187159ae48d91c6dc15c307af36afb.jpg
e10f355ab6f72758b986686f584ad8d1.jpg
2aa0b4f289becf43daeb984c9a2dafac.jpg
097584a54117872f437c0eea1481b3af.jpg

Well it arrived and I have to say I am beyond happy. The piece is in near mint condition minus a little dust but other than that I can't see the smallest thing wrong with it. As you can see in the pics all the packing material was correct and number matching. For seeing this piece in person for the first time I am overwhelmed at how amazing it is, no picture I have ever seen or video comes close to seeing it in front of you. This has been a very good day:)

Back