Sideshow acquires DC License!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mikey, do you think that DC Direct may announce some new licenses? Maybe from Gentle Giant? Bowen Designs? Since Jim Fletcher mentioned that there will be probably some world premiere announcements at the SDCC panel.

Entirely possible, you could even see DC Direct act as the parent company like Hasbro and put their logo on everything that other companies do. I think we'll also find out what DC Direct will actually continue producing.

I hope SS does variations of Batman from all the different arcs, from artists like Tim Sale to Neal Adams and Jim Lee. I want them to use their scope of the Star Wars line and apply it here.

To add on to that I hope they break up the 1:6 DC License into subsets like "Legends of Gotham" for Batman related characters, "Defenders of the Galaxy" or something along those lines for space related characters that way we can get multiple focused releases instead of trying to spread itself thin directly into one united line.

The Joes are pretty close, and with the new body, look to close the gap even more. I don't think they'll touch HT in terms of production paints though.

I don't think the Joe figures are close to Hot Toys at all. I think Hot Toys is vastly superior. I think the GI Joe figures are over priced for what they are, which is why I stopped buying them. The body is inferior, the costume is inferior, and the paint is inferior. The is no way to really comment on sculpt accuracy since these aren't based on anything.

DC Vertigo Premium Format ?

What are the chances that the Sideshow license will allow them to do Vertigo as well?

I'd automatically buy PF's of:

Transmetropolitan - Spider Jerusalem
The Invisibles - King Mob
Hellblazer - John Constantine

And I'd definitely consider PF's of The Sandman and Preacher as well!

Re: DC Vertigo Premium Format ?

The press release didn't mention Vertigo characters, but I assume they're included. I'd like to see some of the Sandman family included at the very least.

000ebab8.jpeg

:monkey3:monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

In the announcement for the Hot toys Sideshow Star Wars team up, I noticed this:

This is an exciting evolution of the natural relationship between Sideshow and Hot Toys, and an exciting development for collectors,” explains Greg Anzalone, CEO & President of Sideshow Collectibles. “For the first time ever, our two companies will be working simultaneously on complementary products for key properties, including Star Wars, Indiana Jones, DC, Marvel, and others. It’s a refreshing way for us to look at the collectibles business, bridging the creative powers of artists around the globe, so that
we can bring to life many exciting new products.”

“This is a very exciting collaboration between our long-term partner, Sideshow, and us. As a Star Wars super-fan, it is my dream to produce the 1:6th scale collectible figures of the Star Wars saga. We would like to express our gratitude to the Sideshow team, especially Greg, Tom and Brant to give us this valuable opportunity to bring the Star Wars property to the 1/6th scale world. We hope that this collaboration will bring about a new landscape in the collectible industry for truly unveiling our realistic likeness and detailed craftsmanship, and we are looking forward to bringing about more exciting products through this collaboration to our collectors in the near future,” said Howard Chan, Founder CEO of Hot Toys Limited.

Maybe we'll get some HT quality comic based figures for DC and Marvel?

I would prefer SS to do Alan Davis styled DC PFs, but that won't ever happen :(

jlanail.jpg

Re: Alex Ross, some of the Marvel 1/4 scale statues seemed clearly inspired by him (Captain America PF, Iron Man Comiquette, and Thor PF come to mind). I would actually prefer that "realistic" look to some stylized Jim Lee or whatever. . .but not more than Alan Davis.

The greatest thing about Davis' work in "The Nail" was that he drew the characters with different bodies, something a lot of other artists don't do, even Ross (who I like a lot) doesn't always do that.

I would prefer SS to do Alan Davis styled DC PFs, but that won't ever happen :(

jlanail.jpg

Re: Alex Ross, some of the Marvel 1/4 scale statues seemed clearly inspired by him (Captain America PF, Iron Man Comiquette, and Thor PF come to mind). I would actually prefer that "realistic" look to some stylized Jim Lee or whatever. . .but not more than Alan Davis.

We may disagree over Neal Adams and George Perez, but totally am with you on this one! Alan Davis is such an underrated artist. His work on "The Nail' remains one of my all time favorites. Bryan Hitch did well to start off his career emulating Davis' style.

As a side note, I wish Davis did more work for DC. His stuff at Marvel seems to get lost somehow...

Back