Sideshow 1/6th Tusken Raider

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just scored an MIB Exclusive for $150. Already ordered a set of DX05 gloved hands and am going to port him to an extra TT slim.
What other mods are necessary? I was thinking of giving the robe a tea bath and scuffing up the bandolier a bit.

Now I just need the Jawas and for Death Squad Commander to be announced so I can complete the 12-back.

Nice score! Once your done with the upgrades he'll be one of your favorite figures.

I used to own him but sold off all of my Star Wars figures before Hot Toys announced they would be producing new figures. I'm excited to have him again and since I got such a great deal on it I'm not so worried about modding him. I already have a TT slim so that takes care of a big upgrade and then I'm going to weather the heck out of him.

Might need to track down a few more Sandtrooper bases.

I used to own him but sold off all of my Star Wars figures before Hot Toys announced they would be producing new figures. I'm excited to have him again and since I got such a great deal on it I'm not so worried about modding him. I already have a TT slim so that takes care of a big upgrade and then I'm going to weather the heck out of him.

Might need to track down a few more Sandtrooper bases.

Check out the sand bases Cocoboloboy is making in the commerce and interest sections. They're amazing!

Received my EX yesterday. Did the body swap to a TT Slim, rewrapped the calves and forearms then bleached and re-dyed the robes. So glad to have him back in my collection. Fits right in.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 291
Received my EX yesterday. Did the body swap to a TT Slim, rewrapped the calves and forearms then bleached and re-dyed the robes. So glad to have him back in my collection. Fits right in.

Looks good! I finally scored one too! :yess: I totally regret not picking this guy up when he was sub $200 all over ebay, but oh well. I got him for a decent price, not $150 but still decent

Check out the sand bases Cocoboloboy is making in the commerce and interest sections. They're amazing!

Thanks, bmarz!

I've seen them and they are great. I like to use the Hot Toys Death Star and sand bases. The nameplates help with the museum presentation.

I need to figure out how to incorporate those plates on my stands. I've had a couple people suggest that. I think it'd look cool.

Niiice! I may have to do the body swap too.

I really, really wish Hot Toys would make one of these. :( The Sideshow one is... okay, but I don't like the huge head with wraps that don't match the robes. I'd rather have a more accurate Sand Person to display with my other "Original 12" (11) 1:6 Figures.

Just like the super accurate figures HT has already made for the OT. hahahaha. :slap

We know you're a notorious HT basher and all, but the truth is many of Sideshow's 1:6 figures are quite dated (including this one, which could/should have been better) and Hot Toys have yet to make an OT figure that wasn't at least better than the Sideshow version, except MAYBE Old Ben.

I just want a 1:6 Tusken Raider that doesn't look like a bobblehead wearing a mask. :huh

Last edited:
I'm a realist and no bloody fanboy to anyone. I call BS when BS exists and sorry, every human SW figure from HT has a bucketload of BS baggage with it, whether it be sculpts that aren't modeled on the actor or terrible clothing. I buy figures from many producers and have a decent number of HT figures - had a few others that have since been sold off or parted out (including ANH Luke for which I'm only keeping the body and accessories, not including clothing which was terrible).

Don't compare Sideshow figures made in a different style from 2006 to current figures made by anyone, including Sideshow themselves. HT has yet to show that they care enough about accuracy to make a Tusken to even match Sideshow's, let alone correct any flaws besides a better base body. Seriously, get real.

Besides the proof that exists in current releases WRT accuracy, they're not likely to tackle a background character like this either, so there's that. Don't hold your breath.

If I wanted to constantly hear blind fanboy requests for more HT figures I'd read HT threads, but this is a Sideshow thread and it gets tiring to read "I'm waiting for the HT version duh gurgle, duh."

I'm a realist and no bloody fanboy to anyone. I call BS when BS exists and sorry, every human SW figure from HT has a bucketload of BS baggage with it, whether it be sculpts that aren't modeled on the actor or terrible clothing. I buy figures from many producers and have a decent number of HT figures - had a few others that have since been sold off or parted out (including ANH Luke for which I'm only keeping the body and accessories, not including clothing which was terrible).

Don't compare Sideshow figures made in a different style from 2006 to current figures made by anyone, including Sideshow themselves. HT has yet to show that they care enough about accuracy to make a Tusken to even match Sideshow's, let alone correct any flaws besides a better base body. Seriously, get real.

Besides the proof that exists in current releases WRT accuracy, they're not likely to tackle a background character like this either, so there's that. Don't hold your breath.

If I wanted to constantly hear blind fanboy requests for more HT figures I'd read HT threads, but this is a Sideshow thread and it gets tiring to read "I'm waiting for the HT version duh gurgle, duh."

The more requests there are for it, surely the more likely it is that we'll get one?

This is certainly one of SS's best, but I picked this figure up and had it for a bit and ultimately sold it off. There's certainly room for improvement so wouldn't mind seeing another crack at it. No harm in that.

Yeah, this one to me is like the Snowtrooper - middling; some good, some BAD, but overall displays nicely.

It really doesn't have a bobble head (not sure why that keeps coming up - and I'm the first to rag on SSC:lol) but it DOES have tiny, skinny, stumpy arms (maybe a full cm too short) and undersized hands - so maybe that gives the effect of a larger head.

What's funny is that the Tusken and Snowie costume gloves are somewhat similar - but put the SSC versions side-by-side and they look like Daddy and toddler gloves.

This fig has a pretty decent list of SSC bads though - from the strange salmon-color wash on the robes (some figs got it worse than others,) to the AWFUL body - the worst ever - to the bizarre mummy feet (which aren't flat at the bottom and flop around loose,) to the odd fabric selection for all the clothing (looking a bit like the proto Jawa robes, or HT Ben's bathrobe.) But... I went to sell it late last year, took it out... and promptly put it back on display. Overall, it displays well.

But those wishing for a HT Tusken before even a peep regarding Jedi Luke, Han Bespin, Leia HOth/slave, Yoda etc. are going to have their wish realized sometime around the end of this decade.:lol

The body does suck, arms are too short.

You are better off picking this version up and doing a body swap. That's what I did. This can be done for under $200.

2016-04-26 16.27.49.jpg

For $230+, I doubt the HT version would be much better.

The hands aren't really undersized. If you compare them side by side to say Luke or Han's hands, they're the same size. They just look all because of the larger head. The head does seem a tad oversized but it might be spot on accurate for all I know. Wasn't the costume kind of like a helmet where the actors could take it on and off?

And yes, a body swap is absolutely necessary for this figure. Makes a huge improvement in posing and overall proportions.

I'd honestly be fine with my Sideshow but I'd love to see what Hot Toys could come up with.

I honestly have been one of the people griping about the huge noggin. ZE_501 proved to me that there were in fact varying sizes of costume head pieces (somewhere back in this thread he dug up expert costume recreater's notes with images) and there is in fact a fat-headed sand person on set. My mental image of them is primarily the one that knocks Luke down and then stands over him barking in Tusken at him with his Gaffi stick above his head. To me, they look better with a tighter to the skull head wrap.

I still like my Tusken on display but there are numerous nitpicks about him and he could be done much better.

I always found the sand people fascinating as you never knew what the hell they were... did they look human? those eye tubes and breathing masks look freaky, what are the metal knobs on top? Once you see all the creatures in the Cantina, there is no telling what these guys were. Any retcon stuff that came later watered down that mystique a bit both w/ Anakin slaughtering them off camera (would have liked a bit more Tusken in that scene for sure) but also the EU comics that had a Jedi living with them and then his son going on to become Darth Krate. I loved parts of that story line, don't get me wrong but I think we lost some of the mystique going in that deep without always keeping the original impact in ANH in mind.

Back