Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it's raw (buffed of course) metal as opposed to flat silver paint. For all the complaining we've had about 3PO's price, I personally wouldn't have minded R2's price having been bumped $10 to $15 for the inclusion of a real metal dome. The metallic illusion on 3PO is much better, even if it doesn't match the movies.
Yes - brushed silver as opposed to flat silver, I should've added that, & agreed regarding adding an actual metal dome.

Ah well..

Anthony Tsang First impressions I think you can tell it is a SSC figure, not HT. Just the overall look doesn't scream out high quality. :horror

Whoa... first in-person reaction and it's... not so good.

I wonder what he means exactly. In the video I did notice the seam on the dome and yeah, the flat (apparently unweathered) white plastic behind the open doors is a bit unfortunate and toy-like as mentioned. I think it's that and the drinks tray maybe looking more like gold plastic than metal.

Without drinks tray and with all the small doors closed I think it should look great but... maybe not.:panic:

Oh well, at least it only cost $130...:lol

J
Whoa... first in-person reaction and it's... not so good.

I wonder what he means exactly. In the video I did notice the seam on the dome and yeah, the flat (apparently unweathered) white plastic behind the open doors is a bit unfortunate and toy-like as mentioned. I think it's that and the drinks tray maybe looking more like gold plastic than metal.

Without drinks tray and with all the small doors closed I think it should look great but... maybe not.:panic:

Oh well, at least it only cost $130...:lol
$130 isn't bad considering Medicom's price with lights. Then its Version 2 with Lights and Sound.

Most probably the best R2 incarnation at that scale but there's a lot of room for improvment. Lack of details/weathering Under panels may be the most disappointing with R2 beside the dome seam.

After seeing that video, it does look very plastic :(
Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah if early review have R2 coming out looking "toyish", I'm just going to defer the money to Robocop. Which to my calculations would mean I get Robocop for only $150!! Hey just give it to me.....it's my calculations!! :)

Well, looking at the video...with the doors closed and no tray, I'd say it's looking pretty good. While the seam is a little unsightly and I'm a little surprised the flash from the seam isn't polished down a bit more before paint was applied, the dome could be turned so it's not quite in the line of sight on display. The details look crisp and sharp though.....and considering that it's replacing this old Hasbro one on my shelf....I'd say it's an upgrade...

...that Hasbro version has been okay for me on display all these years, but I'm looking forward to the Sideshow version....

Stan-stan-marsh-24278067-696-538.jpg

Wondering how many people will increase the weathering to hide any "plastic-ness" this figure has.

Whether the finish is 100% or not, I just hope the size turns out to be about right (with some slight wheel lifts added.) I know some have questioned the overall width/volume as being too small, but I really hope this is finally a true 1/6 scale R2, not the little guys we've gotten over and over in the past.

I'd say any talk of "weathering" might be a bit premature...unless you're talking full Dagobah mudbath.... :)

Even in the video, it looks like the exterior could have some subtle wash/detailing going on...of course, it's be interesting to see what some folks come up with once Artoo has hit. I'm sure we'll see everything from a little weathering to a bit of "sandswept" look to that aforementioned mud bath....

Can't wait!

Last edited:
There is zero chance that wheels will make up for the height/scale discrepancy.

What about really big wheels?

Well oh-**** then.:lol

I got this incoming because I guess I just want to take a look at where 1/6 R2D2's are at this moment. Purely academic.:monkey2

Back