Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If ht gave it diecast utility arms with open panels with die cast metal inside I'd buy it but for lights and metal dome. Whoopty doo
8879fd9c102ac6973edcf866a1a8fa6f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hence why hot toys pulled a greedy kardasian move. Big hype little deliver.
For $250 I think people would pay if R2 had everything and the cast metal utility arms. And open panels. But this we get instead. I bet this will be like iron man with several R2 units wasting space because it's refusal to do one complete figure.

Maybe I'll find someone who is tech savvy to put the sounds in sideshow.

Because the hot toys one is unacceptable

I see the poor SS dome and liken it to a portrait that I'm not happy with. I can completely understand why many on this board have shelled out for Jnix's Solo sculpt, on top of the original MSRP. Or a custom Leia dress. Etc.

I don't like the visible seam on the dome and I don't like the satin finish on Sideshow's version. The other details on the 'face' I'm fine with.

I don't care about compartments opening, or light and sound.

In that sense this HT delivers on everything I want and need from the figure - with the possible exception of scale, which may yet be ok. 220 bucks is standard bare-bones price these days. The only thing holding me back from POing is laying down a deposit for a figure I won't see for a year.

Is it going to be 1/5, 1/6 or 1/7 ? Stay tuned. 2018 will have the answers.

But seriously, not having opening panels on the front is like pissing in fans' cornflakes. That's just lame (but every single of their SW figures is somewhat lame, especially the humans). I just want it for the dome, because yeah, the Sideshow one bothers me, even though it's a good figure overall (but a bit small).

Just got him in the mail today and did a quick alcohol job on the dome. This little dude rocks!

20170130_190745-1_zpspuyz5hq1.jpg
20170130_190715-1_zpsngrrvavt.jpg

20170130_195918-1_zpssyiflucp.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! Good job. How exactly did you do the "alcohol job"? Did you pat the dome with a cotton ball/swab?

Thanks!

I used 91% alcohol. It was a combination of rubbing/pressing with cotton balls and rolling/dabbing with q-tips, while frequently re-wetting both with alcohol so the grim would pool and collect in globs and irregular shapes. I also had a vert tiny bit of Tamiya clear smoke diluted with alcohol to add a few darker splotches here and there.

I also tried to remove much of the weathering from the blue panels to bring out the brighter metallic blue.

I really tried to go fast without thinking about it too much - since that is when I usually bung things up.

Yeah, just be careful as too much rubbing alcohol and too much rubbing can also start to take the metallic paint off. Work quickly/lightly and with a light amount of alcohol and it's fine.

Yeah, just be careful as too much rubbing alcohol and too much rubbing can also start to take the metallic paint off. Work quickly/lightly and with a light amount of alcohol and it's fine.

Yes, most definitely. Some paints come off quite readily with strong alcohol. I didn't see any blue or silver come off R2 during the process, but always best to keep checking the swab/sponge for dissolved paint.

Yeah, just be careful as too much rubbing alcohol and too much rubbing can also start to take the metallic paint off.

I used 99% Isopropyl and some vigorous repeated scrubbing and couldn't get any silver paint to budge. I'm pretty sure you could soak the silver in alcohol for a day or two and it'd have no effect. But.. YMMV.

If you do make any mistakes, silver Rub n Buff is a pretty exact match for the silver they used. In fact I'm tempted to smooth out the seams on mine and see if I can get an even better shine and polish just using that.

Back