Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool figure and the movie-accurate lighting is absolutely incredible. Only letdown is that you can't do the lightsaber pop-up and the sensorscope doesn't stay up. Also feels REALLY delicate in-hand. Wish he had some die-cast weight to him like the Tamashi Nations C-3PO.

I'm hoping when get mine i 'll still like my hasbro's a bit. After upgrading sometime's they never look the same again. ha ha get spoiled on better quality figure's and cant collect anything less then the best out there.

Be cool if didnt need to destroy if had a mini Kenny To put in there to display with out dome.

DOH! bummer didnt think have any real q.c issues besides are delay realy. His top wont lay flat because i hid my stash in there.:lol

Here are two quick pics with the camera phone. The leg on the right has been cleaned and the done is half way done so you can see the difference. I might pray the dome with a low gloss and see what that looks like. Wish me luck. I'm getting one more for my Hutt display. I'll leave the next one alone.
IMAG0579.jpg
IMAG0580.jpg

Supposed to get my R2 today. Checked the tracking and got a DELAY message...lord

last update:

Sarasota, FL, United States 02/05/2015 9:55 A.M. We've incorrectly sorted the package at our facility. This may cause at least one business day delay.

Since I am in TX, seems like its not close

He looks great with the weathering removed... what method did you use Lopie? I tested out some rubbing alcohol on the silver next to his eye and it didn't budge, but it looked like some of the lighter weathering might have come off a bit.

Rubbing alcohol 91% Isoprophyl

Wow, that looks fantastic lopie. Is that your thinned down acetone technique for the paint removal?

edit.....nevermind. see your post.

Got mine earlier today and I have to say I was initially disappointed. I know there was plenty of warning as to how cheap it felt, but I wanted to give the piece the benefit of the doubt. What feels cheap is not just that some of the compartment doors open up on their own (the two blue arms, the panel to the right of the 2 front grills, the life scanner door, and the top circle panel all open on their own on mine if you tip him in certain directions), it's that they kinda rattle around a bit when they are closed. It's the fact that it feels like those doors don't fit properly and are loose that give it a cheap feel. No joke, I was lightly blowing some lint off the big eye and life scanner door on the dome opened! Someone mentioned that the Probe Droid felt a bit cheap--the Probe Droid is definitely sturdier in construction than R2, simply because there are no flimsy compartments that rattle around. Some of the blue paint on the dome doesn't quite reach the edges of the panels they are on, which also makes it look a bit sloppy. And I think they might have gone a bit overboard with weathering the dome. There is an overall speckly grey finish on top of the silver surface that really wasn't necessary. The matte finish of the silver plastic probably would have made it look dull enough.

All that said, I warmed up to the little droid fairly quickly. Luckily nothing came broken and pretty much works how it's supposed to (loose doors aside). R2 truly looks great, and perfect with the Tama Threepio. Within normal viewing distance (maybe a foot), he looks great (you really don't notice the seams), and with minimal handling you forget all about the rattling doors. The lights look great, but it makes it more evident that it should have had sounds to accompany the beautiful lights. He's definitely photogenic.

Here are some pics:

IMG_6864%2B1.JPG

IMG_6865.JPG

IMG_6866.JPG

IMG_6869%2B1.JPG
IMG_6870%2B1.JPG

IMG_6873.JPG
IMG_6874.JPG

Here's a straightforward shot to show the relative heights, which I think work fine:

IMG_6887.JPG

And here's R2 next to the placeholder my wife made for me for Christmas!

IMG_6880.JPG

I didn't take too many shots, and none with the accessories since I'm actually a little under the weather today and even stayed home from work.

Sideshow really should have done something to help the doors stay in place. I was expecting the doors to stay closed with magnets, since it takes a magnet to open the door. It's a damn shame that that really affects the experience of having R2.

But like I said, I did warm up to him and I am very glad I got him.

BTW, I wanted to thank Vonhahn for his video showing how to pull out the periscope and life scanner so they stay up. I couldn't get them to stay up til I saw your very helpful video.

And thanks to Wor Gar for the hint on how to open the dome to get to the batteries.

Rubbing alcohol 91% Isoprophyl

Cool, that's what I figured... I didn't really try it on the rest of him as I didn't want to remove the weathering as I like it; but good to know if I ever pick up a second one on the cheap :lecture

Got mine and like the look. Unfortunately, the top blue arm is only about half painted with silver on top and the back green/yellow light has a crack on the plastic. Going to contact about them about a replacement.

Got mine earlier today and I have to say I was initially disappointed. I know there was plenty of warning as to how cheap it felt, but I wanted to give the piece the benefit of the doubt. What feels cheap is not just that some of the compartment doors open up on their own (the two blue arms, the panel to the right of the 2 front grills, the life scanner door, and the top circle panel all open on their own on mine if you tip him in certain directions), it's that they kinda rattle around a bit when they are closed. It's the fact that it feels like those doors don't fit properly and are loose that give it a cheap feel. No joke, I was lightly blowing some lint off the big eye and life scanner door on the dome opened! Someone mentioned that the Probe Droid felt a bit cheap--the Probe Droid is definitely sturdier in construction than R2, simply because there are no flimsy compartments that rattle around. Some of the blue paint on the dome doesn't quite reach the edges of the panels they are on, which also makes it look a bit sloppy. And I think they might have gone a bit overboard with weathering the dome. There is an overall speckly grey finish on top of the silver surface that really wasn't necessary. The matte finish of the silver plastic probably would have made it look dull enough.

All that said, I warmed up to the little droid fairly quickly. Luckily nothing came broken and pretty much works how it's supposed to (loose doors aside). R2 truly looks great, and perfect with the Tama Threepio. Within normal viewing distance (maybe a foot), he looks great (you really don't notice the seams), and with minimal handling you forget all about the rattling doors. The lights look great, but it makes it more evident that it should have had sounds to accompany the beautiful lights. He's definitely photogenic.

Here are some pics:

IMG_6864%2B1.JPG

IMG_6865.JPG

IMG_6866.JPG

IMG_6869%2B1.JPG
IMG_6870%2B1.JPG

IMG_6873.JPG
IMG_6874.JPG

Here's a straightforward shot to show the relative heights, which I think work fine:

IMG_6887.JPG

And here's R2 next to the placeholder my wife made for me for Christmas!

IMG_6880.JPG

I didn't take too many shots, and none with the accessories since I'm actually a little under the weather today and even stayed home from work.

Sideshow really should have done something to help the doors stay in place. I was expecting the doors to stay closed with magnets, since it takes a magnet to open the door. It's a damn shame that that really affects the experience of having R2.

But like I said, I did warm up to him and I am very glad I got him.

BTW, I wanted to thank Vonhahn for his video showing how to pull out the periscope and life scanner so they stay up. I couldn't get them to stay up til I saw your very helpful video.

And thanks to Wor Gar for the hint on how to open the dome to get to the batteries.

Nice pics LU, Congrats. R2 just entered my place, going to check him out now!

Back