Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was really surprised to see this. I missed the original and to get the original Jabba and Throne set usually cost around $800-900 at least. So the price for the new one I think is pretty reasonable. But i can't afford it right now, even with flex pay, the monthly payment is just too high for me. Plus with Sideshow I like to see final product to make sure it comes out ok. :)

..not swimming with the whales on this case

I have XM studio 1/4 Darth Maul on PO with similar price range but i believe much more money well spent though

Jabba is the king of Scum & Villainy...

You all shame him with your disinterest...

Jabba will send out his most dangerous bounty hunters and assassins to hunt you down...

But right now, its sleepy-time. Jabba is tired.

I personally think this new Jabba looks horrible, were they smoking from his crack pipe when they thought a Mr. Potato Head approach would look good? Yeah it has a better paint job but the seamlines and cartoonish sculpt ruins it for me and above all that the price. I think I'll keep my old one and save $1000 (because shipping for me would be around $200). The only thing I find worth upgrading is maybe the throne, crumb and accesories so if anybody in the USA is planning on buying this just for jabba please send me a PM.

But your old one looks like a sad pickle.

You need this one. You do.

You can make Jabba sleep at night with his sleepy eyes. And in the morning, pop in his wide eyes when you wake him -- Ohhhh, waaaaaa, Boshuuuuuuuuuda!

Looks good!

2146_press02-001.jpg

The price of the Ecto is crazy too. So is the price of the new diecast Iron Man that looks like a robotic insect with wings. I have a good majority of stuff I need to remind me of fond childhood memories. I need to at least slow down or get out of this insane hobby before it consumes my bank account and yet another room in my house!

I'm a little late to this party and at the risk of sounding like an echo, here's my take (much like a lot of other folks)

This was a surprise to see-came out of nowhere like...the Jedi Luke Deluxe! At least that one looks like some bang for the buck with all of the wardrobe options of the character in one package. And I think the portrait is closer to how Mark looked in ROTJ than the (admittedly better quality) HT one....that's why I'm going for that one and not the HT to update that character.

Not digging the "plug n' play" features. The eyes aren't so bad, but the lower jaw/chin really call themselves out with the seams, making it more "toy-like" and distracting from the look. An alternate head might've worked better here. The original release had the better looking sculpt, I think. While the paint apps on the original may not have been as effective as they could have been (although at the time of release, there were some great shots of the customizing crowd doing some great repaints), these new apps are really overdone and heavy. Considering how most of the time the production pieces have final apps that are much less intense, that could end up working to this new version's advantage. But it's the little things that add up on the new one that don't quite work. The curled tail on the original looked good on the throne. The whole area on and around the head looks strangely proportioned compared to the original and the screen version. Someone commented earlier that it looked more like the cartoon version - they're right.

The throne is nice but....again, the paint is a little over the top. I reallu like the muted shades on the original. While the rugs and pillows look well-rendered, they look more "Pier One" than "Jabba's Palace" a little too sharp and new for that hutt.

And the price, always the price. Pointless to carp too much on that. They'll keep charging as much as they can-why not? Won't the joke by on everyone if the edition is so limited that anyone who wants this that misses it will be seeing near-grand prices on the aftermarket? Perish the thought...

If they offered Jabba separately, without the throne, I might consider it if the production pieces turn out well. Sideshow can still crank out some good stuff. I'm enjoying the recently released Dengar and Zuckuss, two figures that may not be at quite the level of the prototypes, are still really good looking figures. I just don't think this set is pulling at me to replace the one I've got. Maybe the audience for this is more the folks that never picked up that set.

One has to wonder though...is Sideshow revisiting all of their previous releases with new, more expensive versions? I hope not. I'd rather see them take a crack at new stuff that they (or other companies) haven't done before. More aliens, more soldiers, more off the stuff they are really consistently good at. With all of the development resources they are pouring into these re-dos, that's less they can put towards some new pieces. How about more environments? An Eopie? A Wampa? A Landspeeder?

Whew...I guess inflation hit my "two cents" there...went one a bit more than I expected to on this one :)

Very tempted because I missed the first release. I like the idea of interchangeable eyes and mouth but the seam is a bit worrying. May not look as bad on the shelf (my Taun Taun neck seam isn’t too distracting). I guess it will depend on lighting and viewing distance.
The price....hrmm. If I plan my next few purchases I could possibly rack up some reward points from my local sellers which will soften the blow a bit. I may have to sacrifice a couple of upcoming figures on my wishlist and hope I can get them later. It’s all a crap shoot really.
Who knows what will be revealed/announced in the coming months? Plus, I’m running out of space!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

save the space for smaller scale figures that you want at 800 smackeronies you could probable get a few of those 1/6 that you need instead of head scratching and scraping on trying to figure out away to scrap up the lump sum. that`s my thoughts and 2cents anyways

This is the same price as Hulkbuster. Now which do you think is the better value?

Hulkbuster is by far the better value compared to a hollow plastic Jabba on a slab of hollow plastic. But I never liked the look of Hulkbuster all that much. For the price of either you can get nearly 3 diecast IM suits or nearly 4 standard HT Star Wars figures.

Back