Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lecture

That's a great picture!

A couple of weeks ago I went into the collection room and was struck by a strange new odour. Of course, I look at Jabba as the probable culprit for a bad odour. Sure enough, he and his throne were giving off an acrid smell, like strong oil paint when you get up close.

It's diminished quite a bit since.

If Hot Toys make a Jabba he'll probably have 'real-feel' skin, but Sideshow were there first with the 'real smell'. :yess:

Thanks, just having a bit of fun while I move stuff around and yeah - I totally forgot to mention that smell. It is quite strong - and lasting.

It's especially bad for me because mine is in a large IKEA cabinet with closed doors, so every time I open the cabinet it's like a VOC construction product spilled. Even after a month it still sort of smells.:horror I was actually worried it might make the other figs in the cabinet smell too, but that doesn't seem to have happened.

Jabba poo-doo.

Pee-yousa.

aXvjj0v_700bwp.webp

:Flush

Thanks, just having a bit of fun while I move stuff around and yeah - I totally forgot to mention that smell. It is quite strong - and lasting.

It's especially bad for me because mine is in a large IKEA cabinet with closed doors, so every time I open the cabinet it's like a VOC construction product spilled. Even after a month it still sort of smells.:horror I was actually worried it might make the other figs in the cabinet smell too, but that doesn't seem to have happened.

He and his throne definitely need airing out. It's not as pungent now, so will presumably disappear in time.

does this thing really weigh as much as it is stated on Sideshows page? I'm thinking about picking it up at a shop but I'm having a bit of elbow-trouble so carrying it from the car to my house might be a bit of a problem if it's that heavy.

does this thing really weigh as much as it is stated on Sideshows page? I'm thinking about picking it up at a shop but I'm having a bit of elbow-trouble so carrying it from the car to my house might be a bit of a problem if it's that heavy.

The box is HUGE, so you might need some help.

Just got a bunch of great stand toppers from JediJim so will be able to snap a few more pics of Mr. Jabbs and surrounding figs as I install them. Defending da boss...

s7Y29xC.jpg

Tali, did you manage to make new smaller arms for Jabba? Looks like it? If so can I see a picture please?
I noticed that these’s a pretty big size different between the two right arms. So I’ll try the smaller one and see if I like it better.
7655a79e8cf97eeae6da81f2f3085733.jpg

Tali, did you manage to make new smaller arms for Jabba? Looks like it? If so can I see a picture please?
I noticed that these’s a pretty big size different between the two right arms. So I’ll try the smaller one and see if I like it better.

Yeah, I think its the hand size more so than the arm size (and length) that bugged me most about the arms. Jabba is like a t-rex with small arms next to a massive body and his hands aren't much bigger than a gloved human hand yet SSC made them bigger than a Gamorrean hand.

Anyway, yeah I'm very slowly still working on the arms. It's been quite difficult (I'm no expert on resin and I've proven that time and again.) These pics show where I'm at with the arm combinations, and I did just cast the tongue - I'm making a shorter tongue insert that will work with the regular open mouth piece.
, with the tongue differently angled.

The only arm I haven't made fully yet is the eating-frog arm, so I'm just holding it to show what it will look like. The right arm is designed to hold the ring for my slave Leia.

I am also planning to gloss up Jabba's eyes too. They aren't quite glossy enough for me.

None of the arms/tattoos have been properly painted - just with some random green splashed on.

EDIT: the left resting arm is designed to sit on the railing, because that seems to be the way Jabba sits in most scenes, sort of leaning on the railing with left elbow.

egYbvAA.jpg

LCsxftN.jpg

JlSQRqf.jpg

BsrYzG7.jpg

e2zrlcZ.jpg

This is a rough (the angles/lens are slightly different in mightyjabba's pics and mine, but hopefully close enough) comparison to show the arm size differences:

8EVhbUb.jpg

I've also noticed a bit of a variation in paint apps from Jabba to Jabba.

cfY3zNH.jpg

Yeah, I think its the hand size more so than the arm size (and length) that bugged me most about the arms. Jabba is like a t-rex with small arms next to a massive body and his hands aren't much bigger than a gloved human hand yet SSC made them bigger than a Gamorrean hand.

Anyway, yeah I'm very slowly still working on the arms. It's been quite difficult (I'm no expert on resin and I've proven that time and again.) These pics show where I'm at with the arm combinations, and I did just cast the tongue - I'm making a shorter tongue insert that will work with the regular open mouth piece.
, with the tongue differently angled.

The only arm I haven't made fully yet is the eating-frog arm, so I'm just holding it to show what it will look like. The right arm is designed to hold the ring for my slave Leia.

I am also planning to gloss up Jabba's eyes too. They aren't quite glossy enough for me.

None of the arms/tattoos have been properly painted - just with some random green splashed on.

EDIT: the left resting arm is designed to sit on the railing, because that seems to be the way Jabba sits in most scenes, sort of leaning on the railing with left elbow.

egYbvAA.jpg

LCsxftN.jpg

JlSQRqf.jpg

BsrYzG7.jpg

e2zrlcZ.jpg

Looks great Tali!
I get why you’re doing this. Also true that it’s primarily the hands that are noticeable oversized. They’re the only thing that bothers me with mighty Jabba. I’d love to one time cast the arms and sculpt some smaller hands on them. But not sure I’ll get to it. I’ve never tried casting before. Maybe I should sculpt the whole arm from scratch instead.
I’d also love to have a cast of the tongue for the other mouth piece like you’re doing. If you do more I’d love to buy one from you.
I’ll be adding gloss to the eyes as well. What are you using for that? Best results I’ve had was using resin. Gives a watery look. But I might just use some gloss varnish for now as it’s removable.

Can someone take a close up pic of his eyes, I still have the old Jabba and I was thinking about repainting it. Thank you

Looks great Tali!
I get why you’re doing this. Also true that it’s primarily the hands that are noticeable oversized. They’re the only thing that bothers me with mighty Jabba. I’d love to one time cast the arms and sculpt some smaller hands on them. But not sure I’ll get to it. I’ve never tried casting before. Maybe I should sculpt the whole arm from scratch instead.
I’d also love to have a cast of the tongue for the other mouth piece like you’re doing. If you do more I’d love to buy one from you.
I’ll be adding gloss to the eyes as well. What are you using for that? Best results I’ve had was using resin. Gives a watery look. But I might just use some gloss varnish for now as it’s removable.

Would love to see newly sculpted arms. I don't think it would be hugely difficult to sculpt new arms. I do think SSC went overboard with the thickness of the upper arms too, but yeah for me it's mostly those massive hands, and also the fact that the arms are too long (they were not much longer than a human arm.)

Jabba's left arm (on our right) has been difficult for me to make a new one for because Jabba's body is twisted to make him sit the way he does, and also the fact that SSC put that huge magnet attachment block on that side (ie your new arm has to mostly cover that, and it's huge,) so if you want the hands to look roughly symmetrical below his face/chin, that arm needs to be a bit longer than I'd like.

I actually think the new tongue will be a great addition. I just went through the Jabba scenes and the tongue will have to be idealized though. It looks best in the "appreciate me" moment but in the throne room scenes it looks weird when you freeze frame it - like a dog's tongue. It'll be maybe one third the size of the SSC tongue and I'm also trying to thin it a bit because it won't fit in his mouth otherwise.

Still not sure if the tongue should curve up or down - up feels more Jabba, but it seems onscreen it's pretty much always down, wiping his lower lip.

Jabba does look a lot better with smaller hands. Make that bulbous head look more accurate.

Yeah, these new smaller arms have really supersized the love I have for this Jabba - it fixes the one key issue I had with the piece. You turn on the effects lights and it really feels like you're in the throne room now.

This ref pic I took really shows that bulbous head and small arms and hands - like only a bit bigger than a human gloved hand.

wiUrJOy.jpg

Once the new tongue is in, all that's left to do is to take some clear matte and lightly dab some on a few shiny parts on SSC's apps. The clear matte should add depth to the surface as well, make it look more skin like.

Would love to see newly sculpted arms. I don't think it would be hugely difficult to sculpt new arms. I do think SSC went overboard with the thickness of the upper arms too, but yeah for me it's mostly those massive hands, and also the fact that the arms are too long (they were not much longer than a human arm.)

Jabba's left arm (on our right) has been difficult for me to make a new one for because Jabba's body is twisted to make him sit the way he does, and also the fact that SSC put that huge magnet attachment block on that side (ie your new arm has to mostly cover that, and it's huge,) so if you want the hands to look roughly symmetrical below his face/chin, that arm needs to be a bit longer than I'd like.

I actually think the new tongue will be a great addition. I just went through the Jabba scenes and the tongue will have to be idealized though. It looks best in the "appreciate me" moment but in the throne room scenes it looks weird when you freeze frame it - like a dog's tongue. It'll be maybe one third the size of the SSC tongue and I'm also trying to thin it a bit because it won't fit in his mouth otherwise.

Still not sure if the tongue should curve up or down - up feels more Jabba, but it seems onscreen it's pretty much always down, wiping his lower lip.

Yeah, these new smaller arms have really supersized the love I have for this Jabba - it fixes the one key issue I had with the piece. You turn on the effects lights and it really feels like you're in the throne room now.

This ref pic I took really shows that bulbous head and small arms and hands - like only a bit bigger than a human gloved hand.

wiUrJOy.jpg

Once the new tongue is in, all that's left to do is to take some clear matte and lightly dab some on a few shiny parts on SSC's apps. The clear matte should add depth to the surface as well, make it look more skin like.

One day I might try and sculpt new arms. The oversized arms and hands are clearly not screen accurate, but I also see why they made the choice to make them bigger. The small arms are the one thing that make Jabba look like a puppet because they are so out of scale with the rest of his body and you can imagine some guy inside the thing with his arm sticking out. The bigger arms make him look more “realistic” in his proportions and they look great if you don’t care too much about accuracy. You also see later cgi versions of Jabba having bigger arms and hands to better match his body. That said, it is a part of his ROTJ look having tiny arms, and I would probably prefer a middle ground to be honest.

One day I might try and sculpt new arms. The oversized arms and hands are clearly not screen accurate, but I also see why they made the choice to make them bigger. The small arms are the one thing that make Jabba look like a puppet because they are so out of scale with the rest of his body and you can imagine some guy inside the thing with his arm sticking out. The bigger arms make him look more “realistic” in his proportions and they look great if you don’t care too much about accuracy. You also see later cgi versions of Jabba having bigger arms and hands to better match his body. That said, it is a part of his ROTJ look having tiny arms, and I would probably prefer a middle ground to be honest.

Yeah, the second SE Jabba had bigger and more human-proportioned arms (and extra fingers.) The TPM Jabba had almost cartoon character arms with thumbs making them true human-like hands.

The ROTJ arms I like because they make him sort of funny - like a T-rex almost, comically small hands next to his huge head and body. They could have given him Ephant Mon sized hands.

Just like Yoda, I think the very best version of Jabba is the first one we ever saw. I don't think Jabba has ever looked better anywhere than he does in the ROTJ palace. He looks so real. All the rest like kinda phony - like Yoda. Yoda sort of looked okay in TLJ (yeah, a bit off somehow) but everywhere else he doesn't look real.

sw_lgi_gallery07.jpg

jabba-podrace.jpeg

Yeah, the second SE Jabba had bigger and more human-proportioned arms (and extra fingers.) The TPM Jabba had almost cartoon character arms with thumbs making them true human-like hands.

The ROTJ arms I like because they make him sort of funny - like a T-rex almost, comically small hands next to his huge head and body. They could have given him Ephant Mon sized hands.

Just like Yoda, I think the very best version of Jabba is the first one we ever saw. I don't think Jabba has ever looked better anywhere than he does in the ROTJ palace. He looks so real. All the rest like kinda phony - like Yoda. Yoda sort of looked okay in TLJ (yeah, a bit off somehow) but everywhere else he doesn't look real.

sw_lgi_gallery07.jpg

jabba-podrace.jpeg

I totally agree that ROTJ Jabba is by far the best looking Jabba. The cgi Jabbas are pretty terrible. And I like the small arms, though they just make him, as you say, look kind of funny because if the unnatural proportions.

I put off ordering until SDCC in case something new got revealed. I think it is safe to say that Hot Toys won't be touching this any any point in the near or foreseeable future. I think it may be about time to pull the trigger.

Playing around with a new smaller/thinner tongue. It's super tricky as the mouth is very narrow so the back of the tongue has to be only a few mms thick. New one is about half the thickness and half the length of the one the fig comes with - a bit more subtle and less prominent.

I have also began painting the new smaller arms. Both arms and tongue have been way more difficult than I thought they'd be.

jDk8d4Z.jpg

Sr83PIh.jpg

Back