1/6 Sideshow 1:6 Indiana Jones - Temple of Doom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This figure is from the Cult Line though, not a whole new Indy line. I imagine SSC will just be making the lead character from any of these films they add to their cult classics line.

Besides, I imagine only die hard Indy fans would even consider buying any other character from the films. Especially with the prices rising so much, many will have to limit the figures they purchase.

Surely Indiana Jones can't be considered 'cult' in any way? I love Indy, but it's as mainstream Hollywood as anything out there. The only thing cult about Indy is the Thugee in ToD ;)

It's probably cult because of its age. It was a blockbuster in its day but now there's only a hard core of fans who would collect it.
By that definition, the original Star Wars trilogy would be considered 'cult'. Companies aren't producing $200 plus figures to cater to a few hundred hardcore fans, these will sell in the multiple thousands. It's the price of the items themselves that limits the market and makes them 'collectables'.

I'd argue that Indy is more "cult" than Star Wars - it didn't have the same transformative effect on cinema - but SW also has the advantage of the franchise being kept alive by more films, TV series etc.

Granted, the term "cult" probably gets used too loosely nowadays.

I dont know what's up with all that Indy is a cult film stuff ,but no. :lol Sideshow isnt putting Indy under that line ,are they?

This Indy isn't even a satisfactory figure and he's INDY. One can only imagine how slapped together a Short Round figure would be.
Really? He doesn't do anything for you?

Last edited:
As good as it looks, I think I'll probably just stick to customizing and improving my old SS Indy. Even if this new one were at a lower price, there just doesn't seem to be enough there to make it really worthwhile. Or make it THAT huge an improvement.

I dont know what's up with all that Indy is a cult film stuff ,but no. :lol Sideshow isnt putting Indy under that line ,are they?

Really? He doesn't do anything for you?

I'm completely unimpressed also. And I think judging this proto is just ordering blind, god knows what SS will actually ship.

What does that even mean? Wor-Gar you've become truly jaded haven't you :thwak

Yes. :lol

But it means that the figure as presented in its best light is mediocre at best (given the price tag expectation). Look at that knee, the cheap bag strap and holster, the too-few extras to start. And the sculpt isn't that drastic an improvement than HTs. AND... this is an SS proto -- production pieces have never ever been better than the proto, usually they are worse, sometimes drastically so.

I'll give you some of those, but the sculpt not being drastically better than the HT???

C'mon Man!
come-on-man-o.gif

For me, this proto is better than the HT figure; but that's just it, the proto, we'll see how good/bad the final figure is when the production run starts to ship.

I'll give you some of those, but the sculpt not being drastically better than the HT???

C'mon Man!

It might just be me and a small minority, but I really don't see a huge improvement in this SS sculpt. The heavier beard helps a lot, but it also helped the HT sculpt a lot too when added. Beyond that and the scrapes and blood -- which always help -- the actual sculpt itself is better but not so impressively so, to me.

But look, I could nitpick this figure to death because Indy is so important to me, but I don't want to do that. I really would like a definitive Indy for my collection but I just don't feel this is it. It's a fine Indy, like HT's was fine.

Fine isn't good enough at $230. I want 'damn good' at $230. I want 'excellent' at $250. And I want 'definitive' at $300 or more. :)

Yeah it looks to me like the nose and mouth just aren't crooked enough. Because here's a shot of Ford from Blade Runner with nearly the same angle and expression:

Blade-Runner-9-Harrison-Ford_ - Copy (333x500).jpg

And usually when you see a flipped picture of Ford his crooked nose and mouth suddenly become MUCH more obvious (and he looks really weird). But when you do that with the SS sculpt his face still looks pretty symmetrical, and there's hardly any difference at all:

ford.JPG

It's an interesting comparison you found, davejames. Lighting, angle and HF era are the same. Nose and mouth does look a bit odd on SSC's sculpt.

oqlwkn.png

Back